24, want to find a girlfriend

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zackhogan1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2019, 6:29 pm

I'm 24 years old, will be 25 in November (so more like 24 and a half), and the thought of finding a girlfriend, moving in with someone and starting a life has been on my mind more and more.

I don't have a huge social life, I work a lot Monday to Friday, and then Saturday nights I go out with buddies to pubs usually, and Sunday sit around the house.

Not a huge social circle.

I want to work on expanding that, and finding a partner.

Summer seems like the time to do that, as they call summer the "love" season.

Question is... how?

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada if that helps any.

I just work, don't go to school.

I feel lonesome sometimes, and want a GF.

I've never gotten past 2 dates with girls i've been with.

I feel trapped, and as if this is a lost cause.

I feel as though I can improve on every other aspect in life, except this one.

But I also feel I can do better.

Can anyone relate?

Yes, I have ASD as well.

I'd rather not use the internet for finding partners, as that hasn't seemed to work for anything other than hookups and one-date.

Thanks, and I hope i'm making sense.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 12:18 am

I don't have any meaningful advise as with some minor changes your post could have been written by me (hell I'm even 24). As far as I can determine there are a few things you can do:

1) Be patient. A lot of people don't meet until later in life and it seems to be especially true of autistics.

2) Take up online dating. I share your apprehension towards online dating and honestly it seems awful. Yet I know a few of my friends that after months/years of wading through rejections and awkward one-off dates using online dating got stable relationships.

3) Try to be more social. Depends on your job demands, but maybe take of some hobbies that get you out interacting with people beyond your pub buddies.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 10:52 pm

Brother Antrax does have a valid point. If you build up a strong sense of patience and create goals about what you want, such a strong sense could pay off. Build up your patience slowly without rushing it.

Like Brother Antrax, I also don't have any great advice that could help you in finding success in wanting a relationship.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 7:53 am

zackhogan1234 wrote:
I've never gotten past 2 dates with girls i've been with.

Keep trying and you'll get a third date and a fourth date and a girlfriend, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:08 am

Work on making yourself more interesting. Take up a musical instrument, learn a craft or an art-form (Calgary has a huge art district), attend classes on ethnic cooking ... anything to get you out of the house and among interesting people!

Calgary (tr., "Cold Garden") has a population of over 1.2 million people, and more than one-third of them are non-white. Don't limit yourself to just one ethnicity; get to know the customs and cuisine of other cultures.

Smile, make eye-contact, listen to other people, and don't dwell on your personal misfortunes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.