Polar Ice Caps Melting and the US Navy

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 4:49 pm

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/12/73025883 ... ooks-north

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 4:52 pm

Oh, man! Flashbacks!

I wish I was going with them!

I can't even find my uniforms, much less fit into them...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 4:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
Oh, man! Flashbacks!

I wish I was going with them!

I can't even find my uniforms, much less fit into them...

Flashbacks? Were you around the last time the polar icecaps melted? How old are you? :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 4:59 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Oh, man! Flashbacks! I wish I was going with them! I can't even find my uniforms, much less fit into them...
Flashbacks? Were you around the last time the polar icecaps melted? How old are you?
No, ya goof!* :lol: I'm a Navy veteran! Those pics in the article brought back some fine memories of being at sea.

(*And I mean that nicely!)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Oh, man! Flashbacks! I wish I was going with them! I can't even find my uniforms, much less fit into them...
Flashbacks? Were you around the last time the polar icecaps melted? How old are you?
No, ya goof!* :lol: I'm a Navy veteran! Those pics in the article brought back some fine memories of being at sea.

(*And I mean that nicely!)

Ah Ok. 8) My grandfather wasn't in the Navy but he was in the army. He served in Korea and Veitnam. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 8:38 pm

Climate change is opening up potential new shipping lanes at the top of the world. The open water is valuable as trade rougtes. But also the "land underneath the sea" is becoming open for exploitation for resources like oil and natural gas. So the top of the world is becoming a new potential flash point. A valuable thing worth fighting over. So nations are muscling up in the arctic. A few years ago the Russians sent a sub to plant a plastic flag under the sea at the North Pole. And now our navy is doing maneuvers in the Arctic ocean as well.

Funny how climate change has caused an ancient dream to come true: the quest for a "Northwest Passage" around north America to the Orient. Every explorer of North America for the first three centuries after Columbus was after finding a fabled Northwest Passage. The dream died two centuries ago when Lewis and Clark got to the Pacific coast and found that there was not any such thing. But. all of sudden, due to climate change, there suddenly IS a "Northwest Passage". Columbus would be pleased to know that there is now a way to get around this dumb continent that he stumbled upon when he was trying to find a short cut to the Far East. :D

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm

What if places beneath and at sea level get flooded and people drown to death?

Ah, who cares? More money and power for Amuuuurrricaaa!! !

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 9:52 pm

Well..yeah….

Miami will drown, and so will Manhatten, but there will be that upside. That we will be able to put offshore oil rigs into the Arctic Ocean. Just as soon as we fight off the Russians. :D

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 2:03 am

Always look for that silver lining.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 6:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Well..yeah….

Miami will drown, and so will Manhatten, but there will be that upside. That we will be able to put offshore oil rigs into the Arctic Ocean. Just as soon as we fight off the Russians. :D

Aquaman will save us...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:13 am

What if places beneath and at sea level get flooded and people drown to death? ...
It means that I can finally make a profit off that ocean-front property in the Adirondacks...

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2019, 3:40 pm

This is exactly why we need Trump to back a new global energy climate change deal, and stop denying it. His attitude to Piers Morgan and everyone else is quite frankly, deranged or deluded. He actually doesn't think that fossil fuels and carbon emissions including green house gases play a key role in shaping the air we breathe. Past chronic smokers fit the category, and believe that any fix like water cigarette will be better for them. Oh if I try this fruity flavour and plant a few trees and save a few more, everyone will be happy. Er.. Well if we all want to drop asphyxiation levels entirely to a clean cut air premium, then some key figurehead had better start waking up and smell the garbage roses before they realise that there is more than just one place on earth that onlookers can't just speculate on but know its there. A case of rich House poor house might convince someone who continues to wear out the sprinkler system and dry out the foreign soil with a new one.
Foreign plastic waste will always be a problem, the green house energy system is paving the way on plastic waste cutting edge technology. Let's hope no more polluted waters by 2030, instead if 2050. A lot of geological Arctic and exploratory sciences including marine and aquatic depend on healthy waters.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 4:17 pm

You lost me at "... we need Trump..."

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2019, 5:19 pm

If Trump is really serious about doing trade deals with dear old Blighty, and serious about all our veterans, then he needs to box this one on the head.
He didn't do Eisenhowers speech any favours when he read out his Commemorative speech for D day veterans at Portsmouth during his U. K tour. It was as if he was throwing a damp cheque on proceedings instead of honouring the dead. The way for WW2 was clearly through joint allied invasion and everyone suffered as a result. You can't enter the world stage by throwing a double blank cheque at people and expect them to call it a truce.
Those past generations lost more than their possession, and I feel honoured that they fought for us all.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2019, 11:47 am

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
I feel honoured that they fought for us all.

They did not fight for you, if you did not yet exist. They fought for their own situation at the time, and were plonked in it by their govts instead of giving any support to coup plots in Germany. The emotional abuse and ego bullying done to every generation since, about "fighting for us", disproves every word of it: you don't fight for folks then rubbish them and ego-lord over them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 12:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well..yeah….

Yup because the best thing to do when overexploitation of the worlds resources is a major contributing factor to the level of climate change we see currently, is to just keep on exploiting and not even attempt to reduce oil dependence.

That's the 'merican way.