Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Upstairs_Monk
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2019, 9:52 am

I'm just an American with no health insurance and no family to support me emotionally in this ordeal. My family
consists of my mom, her husband and my grandmother. I have a twin brother he is also unsupportive of my thoughts. I
don't mind anymore they don't want to know anything about me. I will just keep them in the dark since we don't have
much of a relationship anyways. My boyfriend and his family do support me emotionally. I have myself and them. I am
twenty one and I work in god awful retail to make rent and car payments-like most people-. I'm most certainly not
complaining but I'd love to go back to college,I just couldn't function the first time I was there because of (insert
autistic issues) As you may see, I do think I have autism and I feel very alone, constantly. No way to get a diagnosis to
help me with school stuff or to get my actual family's support. Sorry for rambling but I have no voice any where else.

Started to stim more often at work and it's grown so quickly that my guests ask me if I'm playing guitar or even try to ask if I'm okay. Some like to get into others' heads. Stay out of there, it's wild.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 2:10 pm

Welcome. I don't know a lot. I did hear someone mention something about a place in USA (University?) that did free testing? Maybe someone on here can say more.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 10:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:35 am

Upstairs_Monk wrote:
I'm just an American with no health insurance

Do you live in a major metropolitan area or in/near a university town? If so, see if you can find some place where psychology grad student "externs" work under the direction of a licensed psychologist. That costs a LOT less money (but has much longer waiting lists) than being seen directly by a fully-credentialed psychologist. I paid $20 per hour, for a total of about 10 hours, stretched out over several months. Some places might charge even less than that.

See if you can get a referral from your local branch of the Autism Society or similar organization.

In what general area do you live? Perhaps someone here on WP might be able to help you find something.

Upstairs_Monk
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2019, 10:44 am

I live in Greenvillle, South Carolina. I live near Furman University and frequent it to see my partner. I could try seeing if they have students who do that kind of thing.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:49 pm

Hello!

I'm in the same state right now...good luck. PM me if you want to know a very good psychologist, I'll let you know. He diagnosed me as HFA and was able to get me fitting into the world of the neurotypical a lot better. "Know thyself" isn't the world's best advice, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 7:03 pm

You could also try contacting the South Carolina Autism Society to see if they know of any places for adults to be diagnosed in an inexpensive way, e.g. via psychotherapy externs.