High functioning-an inaccurate autism label

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 3:57 am

Quote:
'High functioning' is a term commonly used to describe people diagnosed with autism without an intellectual disability.

However, despite the term's prevalence in medical journals and everyday use, new research shows the term can be misleading and advocates have called for its use to be dropped.

Post-doctoral researcher Dr Gail Alvares said while 'high functioning' is used to describe people diagnosed with autism who have IQs in the normal range, it does not indicate their functional status.
A new study has found labelling children with autism 'high functioning' can be misleading.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/health ... e=rss_feed

The gap between expected adaptive functioning due to IQ and actual level of adaptive functioning can be quite large.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 4:54 am

It’s because of their autism, alas.

They are “high-functioning” compared to some people with autism.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 4:59 am

^ That's a bit like saying a 5' 5" man is tall compared to a dwarf .

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 6:33 am

I’m just 5 foot 5 myself (a little below)

I feel short—but tall as compared with a dwarf.

But it really doesn’t matter. I’ve met dwarves who stand tall, no matter their short stature.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 6:37 am

I work with a wide-range of people with disabilities, including autism. For the last decade or so, we have been told not to use the terms "high functioning" or "low functioning" to describe people. This idea of what is correct and most people-centered goes on and on and so do the changes. I think (just thinking, not proposing or suggesting) it is because the people who make these categories are NOT people with disabilities. "We" have to have terms to use to convey information to other professionals and paid caregivers and agencies in order to get funds for assistive devices, personal care, etc.

Now that I realize I am aspie, and understand I have a high IQ, I can see that most of my "IQ" has been used to camouflage and adapt to a foreign world. I have to expend huge amounts of energy and thought in order to cope. It is interesting that professionals are beginning to realize this. I agree that HFA is inaccurate description because it ignores this (invisible) aspect of autism.

That said, I would not have wanted to be treated like HFA, or ASD children are today. I think I would have been beyond miserable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 6:59 am

I agree. Those labels are confining.

Just write about and help the individual, not the label.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 7:28 am

My problem is that in short interactions with people where verbal skills are to the fore I come across as very intelligent. That would get me a label of 'high functioning' in many people's eyes. However in situations requiring more non-verbal/spatial/practical intelligence I do far less well.

The thing is most people don't see me in the latter situation , and if they do can think I'm being lazy,passive aggressive etc.
That includes many mental health professionals .

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 7:49 am

I don't like the use of functioning labels. We're all struggling and everyone's ability to cope varies day to day, or by situation. I feel like "High Functioning" is also a misnomer. In my opinion, it means "High Masking", and signifies that the person could be overcompensating to their own detriment. I know that when I was doing "High Functioning" types of behaviours in my life (school, work, etc.) and seeming the most capable, I was suffering so much that I had nervous breakdowns. Now that I'm home all day being "lower functioning", I'm happier and healthier than ever since I don't have to put on a show.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:10 am

Maybe it would help to put together or chart, map, or some other graphic that would quickly summarize your cognitive abilities. That way a healthcare professional could easily assess who they are dealing with.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:11 am

I think we need a system that prioritises the need for help and support, without at the same time excluding people , based on factors like IQ,coming across well in non stressful situations, from such help and support.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:19 am

BTDT wrote:
Maybe it would help to put together or chart, map, or some other graphic that would quickly summarize your cognitive abilities. That way a healthcare professional could easily assess who they are dealing with.

Great idea! I'd like to see some examples if anyone has done that. We all have our assessment reports which detail our strengths, challenges, and needs but they tend to be quite lengthy. Mine is 20 pages, although it does have lots of tables and charts with my data scores which can be used as a quick reference. The report is accessible online for healthcare providers to access, but I think some type of wallet-sized item would be useful because I'm not carrying 20 pages with me when I go out.

I'm idenitified as L2 but my ability to be articulate can vary like skibum has said, and this might confuse the matter. I'm also selective mute and I go non-verbal quite easily; likewise my PTSD can be triggered by seemingly mundane events. It's a toss-up how I will cope in any situation. Startrekker mentioned that she has a way of communicating her needs quickly, so maybe we can learn from her.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:32 am

Prioritizing isn't going to do any good if there aren't enough healthcare workers to do all the work that needs to be done.
Which I hear is a huge problem in the UK if you have something like a gender identity issue. I hear the wait times are ridiculous just to see someone.

Perhaps there needs to be a way of facilitating and or encouraging the disabled to participate part time in the work force, so there are more person hours available for the needy.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 10:00 am

I'm expecting this to be a journey of discovery. I really don't know what I am. I only know what the paper says. I've not yet had the opportunity to be myself. I am newly diagnosed. I knew something was going on, but attributed it to ADHD I've had since childhood. I saw every task that tweaked 'something' as just another hurdle to be overcome.

I'm not currently working, but I like having something to do. I grow restless, irritable and discontent sitting at home. I would love to find a job where 9 tasks aren't being thrown at me, all at once. I can multitask, but I sleep for days after a 36 hour work week. I'm guessing that's my brain just shutting down? Like I said, I really don't know.

I wish each new diagnosis came with an instruction manual. I've spent a lot of time being defensive and I want to drop that, as well.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 1:07 pm

It is a common error for people assessing “us” to correlate high verbal skills with high IQ. Intellectual impairments and/or executive dysfunction can be missed entirely.

Another problem with most assessments is they are done in a clinicians’ offices and not in the home and work environments. I have to visit people across all environments and the differences can be breath-taking.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 1:12 pm

blazingstar wrote:
It is a common error for people assessing “us” to correlate high verbal skills with high IQ.

Yes! I was 25th percentile for verbal even though I have a high IQ, I have English degrees and I'm articulate when I'm not trapped by selective mutism. I'd like to know more about what the verbal test measures. I know it isn't just how fluently or how often a person speaks. There's a lot more to it.