Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 4:03 pm

Should you say you have x when the evidence clearly shows you do, but due to circumstances beyond your control you've never been officially assessed and diagnosed as such?

In my case it's dyspraxia and learning difficulty.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:32 pm

On the social side...
Personally, I don't want to say "I have x" if it wasn't diagnosed. For me, I think it's fine to say "I have indications typical of x", "x likely" or similar if I seem to be checking the boxes through self-assessment. Just my philosophy & situation, I won't say it's right or wrong.

On the legal/services side...
Unless you're committing information to a legal document, there's probably not any real prohibition against it. If it's a situation where it's not unlawful to claim and it gets you needed services, then it might be a good idea to say "I have x".

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 9:15 pm

That's a good question.

I'd probably be more apt to claim it socially, if it ever came up. Like a friend asking sincere questions about why I do the things I do.

Where I live if you can't prove it medically, the professionals may act like they believe you when really they are just rolling their eyes behind the scenes. And they would never approve services without documentation. You'd think they were paying for it out of their own pockets as stingy as they are.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 9:36 pm

I have... None, really. :|
Unless you count everything that chronic sinusitis could do that has messed me up so far, which is more of my problem than autism at all, then none.

I do think I have sleep problems more likely to do with restorative issues and breathing almost every night, than my neurology's lack of sensory filter and mental states.
And my sleep problem causes executive dysfunctions that rendered many of my workarounds useless and abilities impaired, that sometimes it could mimic ADD and any problems it could cause -- it worsens the autism's curse more than I could afford, making it the closest thing I have for an autism comorbid.

Thing is that my household currently can't afford a check up related to this, and I don't wanna bother them.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:35 am

Anxiety is my worst one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:53 am

I feel like I have:

Generalized Anxiety Disorder
ADHD--Inattentive Type
A generalized apraxia of body
Avoidant Personality Disorder

I've been officially diagnosed with:

Schizoid Personality Disorder

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2019, 9:27 am

I have OCD and dyslexia.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 9:51 am

Mine are in signature.
I'd say it's best to say such and such is strongly suspected.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 10:03 am

Arganger wrote:
Mine are in signature.
I'd say it's best to say such and such is strongly suspected.

That makes sense. It's avoiding 'Only professionals can say' while very much indicating you are.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 9:05 pm

You don't need official diagnosis, unless for legal or medical reasons.

For example, government benefit

Sometimes psychologist misdiagnose

Autism , schizophrenia, schizoid personality disorders, nonverbal learning disability, overlap in symptoms

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 1:59 am

ASD is the only neurological or psychiatric condition I've been diagnosed with so far.

I also have a history of sleep problems that have never been investigated by a doctor or psychologist. During the first four decades of my life, it often took me up to two hours to get to sleep, so I needed at least ten hours of bedrest each night in order to get at least eight hours of sleep. At around age 40, it became easier for me to get to sleep, but I seem to need more sleep than most people; I need nine hours each night on average.

I don't know whether I would qualify for a diagnosis of OCD. Probably not, I would guess. I do have OCD-like behaviors, e.g. double-checking whether I locked my door. But I think my OCD-like behaviors are mostly just a way of coping with being absent-minded, e.g. I double-check whether I locked my door because I'm in actual danger of having forgotten to lock it due to my absent-mindedness. So I think my actual problem is just absent-mindedness due to ASD-related hyperfocus on whatever was going through my head when I closed the door.

I do tend to be anxious, also mostly as a direct consequence of various ASD-related issues. But I'm not anxious all the time, and I'd be surprised if my anxiety were considered severe enough to qualify me for a diagnosis of anxiety disorder of any kind.

So I don't think I have any co-occurring neurological or psychiatric conditions other than maybe a sleep disorder of some kind.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 5:51 am

"you don't look autistic" is by far the most common response

Diagnosed autistic

So whatever

Some lil dipshits act like they are receptive but they are judgmental

Some educated, normal, nice precious lil "people" are homophobic

Catch 22

Usually disclosure won't make someone receptive

Sometimes disclosure makes them angry