How Old Were You When You Were Diagnosed?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What Age Did You Find You Had Asperges/Autism?
I don't have Asperges or Autism. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have not been assessed yet/Waiting assessment. 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
I don't know if I have autism /asperges or not and not going to be assessed. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
0-4. 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
5-9. 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
10-19. 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
20-29. 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
30-39. 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
40-49. 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
50-59. 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
60-69. 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
70-79. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
80-89. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
90-99. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Over 100! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 55

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 1:32 pm

At what age was it found that you were on the autistic/asperges spectrum? I have included options on the pole for all to answer.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2019, 1:58 pm

I figured out I was autistic at the age of 45. I received a diagnosis at 49.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 2:09 pm

My mother suspected I had Aspergers early on. But no one was willing to confirm or make a diagnosis until my 20's

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 2:09 pm

Aspergers didnt exist when I was 14 so they gave me PDD-NOS then when I was 18 they gave me Aspergers.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 2:14 pm

62. If I'd had a competent mental health team in Essex(previous place I lived) it would have been much earlier.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 3:17 pm

I was ten

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 3:25 pm

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2019, 3:26 pm

I was 55 when diagnosed of ASD. Prior to being diagnosed I just could not for the life of me work out what was going on, really I thought many a time I was just a dump ass.
As soon as I was told (by a professional after a year of testing and analysing me) I researched ASPIE as much as possible and since then my life has taken a turn for the better. :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 7:30 pm

I was 13.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 7:42 pm

I was in fourth grade, I think, so I was nine or ten (not sure which, so I didn't know which option to choose on the poll). I didn't have a clue what it meant until I was around fourteen or so and one day thought "wait, don't I have this thing called Asperger's syndrome?" and did a lot of online research.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 7:45 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
At what age was it found that you were on the autistic/asperges spectrum? I have included options on the pole for all to answer.

The wording is unclear. Do you mean age of being diagnosed, or age at which I became reasonably sure? I became reasonably sure (close to, though not quite, 100%) about a year before I finally got an official diagnosis, and began suspecting it 10 years before that.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 7:57 pm

Something I seem to have remembered.... Going back to about 2006 to 2007 when I was working on the railway my employers had me go for councilling. I don't know why... As very few employees ever were asked to have councilling. Only ones were when someone jumped in front of a train and I never had that happen to me which actually was rare statistically as I worked for 9 years. It was always the train in front or behind.
Anyway... I vaguely remember at the end of the five councilling sessions the lady who assessed me may have asked if I was autistic. I seem to be puzzled why she asked... I said "No" and I remember the conclusion... As the councilling was basically where all I did was to talk. She didn't say much except to ask the odd question to continue me talking. I had never had councilling before... or since... But I remember thinking that it was odd becase I didn't know it was talking!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:01 pm

I was about three years old.

I had no speech. I seemed oblivious to the world. It was quite evident that there was something VERY wrong with me at that time.

One only got diagnosed with autism in the 1960s if there was something "very wrong" with them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was about three years old.

I had no speech. I seemed oblivious to the world. It was quite evident that there was something VERY wrong with me at that time.

One only got diagnosed with autism in the 1960s if there was something "very wrong" with them.

The strange thing is that even today in my area, when I talked about the subject to someone who is a schoolteacher, (And I did not mention why I had looked up the subject but it came up in conversation somehow) and her impression of anyone on the autistic spectrum is that they habe a severe dissability and some sort of severe mental issue they battle with. (As I was referring to people who had it mildly and she seemed to be unaware that this was possible! Ad she was a school teacher in a collage teaching the 16 and up age groups).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:23 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Aspergers didnt exist when I was 14 so they gave me PDD-NOS then when I was 18 they gave me Aspergers.

I was dxed when I was 24.
They didn't call it "Aspergers" back then.
I was: "Mildly autistic",
With the emphasis on "mildly".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

Think of this way:

Many people of Rain Man as being on the "high-functioning" end of the Spectrum. And he was called "very mild" in the film.

Many people believe that autistic people don't talk, and are not able to interact with people spontaneously.