Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 6:42 am

If you have the condition, how is your experience with autistic catatonia?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 7:00 am

Like I fall asleep with my eyes open.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 8:37 am

EzraS wrote:

During an episode when people talk to you do you understand what they say? After you come out of it can you remember what was happening around you? Can you mimic other people's movements?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 3:26 pm

komamanga wrote:
EzraS wrote:

During an episode when people talk to you do you understand what they say? After you come out of it can you remember what was happening around you? Can you mimic other people's movements?

From my perspective I am obvious to what is going on around me so I don't remember anything.

From their perspective I am in a trance. I am motionless with my eyes wide open and my mouth hanging open.

From both perspectives I come out of it kind of the same as coming out of a deep daydream. I finally respond somewhat disorientated. "Ezra! Ezra!" "Huh? what?" "Are you okay?" "Huh? What?... Yeah".

It can be different for others from what I understand.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2019, 9:48 pm

I don't know whether what I experience is catatonia but it feels very similar to what EzraS described above.

But more frequently I experience a somewhat more mild equiv which just feels like I'm disconnected from reality. Everything feels slow and far away. I want to participate but somehow can't.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 9:47 am

Thank you for your replies, I can relate to both of the things you described.
When it happens, I can't move, respond to stimuli or talk, although I'm wide awake. Generally it starts with agitation and panic. And I don't remember most of what happens during an episode. If I'm moved I keep the position. It lasts about 4-5 hours then I slowly 'wake up'. I still can't talk for a long time though and I move like I'm in a slow motion movie.

I've experienced episodes of depersonalization/derealization all my life. Today I was at the doctor's and he said I had dissociative stupor due to stress and extreme anxiety. I respond well to benzodiazepines. He said I shouldn't worry about it. The more I worry the worse it'll get.