Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 12:01 pm

When I am in hot climate, I don't typically want to eat, I only want to drink. This being the case, sometimes I am wondering why don't anyone ever recommends people to go to hot climate to lose weight? Could it be because the heat slows down metabolism as well (which is "why" I don't want to eat) and, therefore, the opposite effects of less food and slowed down metabolism kinda neutralize each other? Well, nobody told me heat slows down metabolism -- its just my own speculation -- so if it doesn't then I am back with original question: why don't people go somewhere where its hot to lose weight?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jun 2019, 12:11 pm

An interesting question which needs some research. I don't know much about the topic but would be interested to know if people who regularly visit places such as saunas and steam baths are likely to lose any weight, since they sweat a lot. I do a lot of running, hence sweating, but haven't lost any noticeable weight. But I maintain my weight rather well as opposed to gaining.

Also in a warm climate such as our South African summer we tend to eat less than now, which is midwinter. So this would be something worth looking into.

It would take some time to lose significant weight - so you'd have to spend, say, a month or so in the selected warm spot e.g. tropical island before you'd really see results.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 12:24 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
I don't know much about the topic but would be interested to know if people who regularly visit places such as saunas and steam baths are likely to lose any weight, since they sweat a lot.

I wasn't talking about sweating, I was talking about decreased appetite.

As far as sweating thats just water weight and why would you want to lose water weight anyway, if water is good for you? Besides, you will get that weight back when you drink your water.

But as far as decreased appetite, THATS the way heat SHOULD make you lose weight -- or at least it seems that way. I mean, I spent the day on the hot sun yesterday and I barely ate anything. And thats not just yesterday, that happens to me every time I am hot, I don't want to eat. So why can't this make you lose weight?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jun 2019, 1:23 pm

Won't help much if you barely eat but drink liters of sugary cola... rather stick with bottled water or with juices.

Not saying you did, but sometimes people don't think much about their liquid intake.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 1:26 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Won't help much if you barely eat but drink liters of sugary cola... rather stick with bottled water or with juices.

Not saying you did, but sometimes people don't think much about their liquid intake.

When it's hot I don't want to bring sugary water either cause sweetness makes thirst only worse. So yeah that's why I think heat helps with weight loss: it makes you not want to eat AND it makes you not want sugar.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 10:05 pm

If your statement is correct, hot cities have lower percent obesity than cold cities

All things being equal

But sometimes it is not practical to move house

Because your job and friends and family are in a cold city

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2019, 7:25 am

I grew up in New Orleans. It is hot there and people eat so much good food. So if you’re talking about New Orleans, then no!

People eat more than they should pretty much everywhere, hot places and cold places.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 10:01 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
I grew up in New Orleans. It is hot there and people eat so much good food. So if you’re talking about New Orleans, then no!

People eat more than they should pretty much everywhere, hot places and cold places.

So how would you explain why I lose appetite when its hot and they don't? Do you think that first few days someone is exposed to heat they lose appetite -- but then when they continue to get exposed to heat they get their appetite back since their body would "have" to get back to its normal equilibrium (which is overeating)?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Jun 2019, 9:55 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:

I'm from an hour away from there & know exactly what your talking about :mrgreen:
People may have a decreased appetite in a hot climate but if it's very hot & humid, people will not want to exercise outside & may not want to exercise inside either when they don't have good air-conditioning. I know this 1st hand because Louisiana gets very hot & humid all summer & I hated having to do stuff outside during the day. I was also feeling kinda lethargic inside because my parents wouldn't let me lower the AC below 77 even thou I was constantly hot inside.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2019, 1:12 pm

nick007 wrote:
I was also feeling kinda lethargic inside because my parents wouldn't let me lower the AC below 77 even thou I was constantly hot inside.

Why didn't they let you lower the AC?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Jun 2019, 10:02 am

QFT wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I was also feeling kinda lethargic inside because my parents wouldn't let me lower the AC below 77 even thou I was constantly hot inside.

Why didn't they let you lower the AC?
They were worried about the electric bill being higher & they didn't feel the AC needed to be lower. They have a bit of money saved up but they were poor when they 1st got married & worked their way up to lower middle class. They worry about money when they don't need to sometimes but they do spend a bit here & there on some stuff.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition