Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AspergianKnight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2019, 6:17 am

*amusedly* So, how was that subject line? Did it get some grins? I hope so. I try to give people things to smile about. A coping skill, I suppose, for the depression I've dealt with for a long time.

I'm AspergianKnight, (Knight if you want to be informal), and I'm an old-fashioned type of guy who was raised Mormon but isn't practicing (and haven't been for nearly 15 years). In addition to my Asperger's, I have a diagnosis of schizo-effective disorder that I've ignored for the same amount of time I've been a practicing atheist, and it has caused me all sorts of problems, as you might guess. Anything related to schizophrenia seems to have dark connotations (same as autism/Asperger's seems to have these days in some quarters), and I always worried about being tarred with that brush. Now, I know I can't become a better person without acknowledging and working on all my issues. I only came to the conclusion I needed to address it when I checked myself into the local hospital's psych unit.

I enjoy writing stories, though these days I mainly write fan fiction for the Arrowverse (and that is mostly trying to fix an utter mess so you can imagine how frustrating that is). I am growing quite disenchanted with superhero media in general right now because of the extremist SJW stuff. When did entertainment stop becoming entertainment? Despite those issues, I like watching superhero movies and television shows and will continue to do so. I just won't be quiet about what I see as stupidity for the sake of 'looking progressive'. *coughs* Sorry. Soap box.

Thanks, in part, due to the fact I'm generally old-fashioned because of my upbringing, I'm even more frightened of talking to people because apparently being an old-fashioned, respectful male (if a bit flirty) is now classed as 'toxic masculinity' and I have enough anxiety problems without introducing that into my cycle of anxiousness.

I'm hoping to meet other people like me who want to get to know people without the anxiety that comes with socializing these days (and maybe find some good advice on how to conquer my current fears). Mostly, just looking to communicate with other people like myself and have people to talk to, especially if it's through the written word, something I am very fond of.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 3:29 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2019, 7:55 pm

Periods of rapid social change can be very stressful, especially for those who (like many autistic people) have difficulty with coping with change to begin with. I grew up in another period of rapid social change, the 1960's, and I remember how a lot of my elders felt like the world was falling apart. But a lot of the changes WERE needed.

Hopefully today's battle-of-the-sexes (to use an old-fashioned term for it) types of issues will eventually get resolved in a way that can best serve everyone's needs and get past today's climate of fear, but without going back to the old ways which many of us are rejecting for good reasons.

Be that as it may, welcome to WP!

beamsplitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2019, 5:32 pm

Welcome Knight! I also enjoy writing and was in the process of writing a visual novel before I got writer's block.
It sounds like you joined the forum for many of the same reasons as me. Check out my thread "Hi from England" if you like!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

I love to write as well. Mostly poetry...

Welcome!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.