Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

beamsplitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2019, 5:20 pm

Hello all!

My name is Pete, I turned 32 this June (even though I still feel 19!). I was diagnosed with Aspergers in my mid 20's. I live in Lowestoft near my parents. I'm currently on benefits due to my poor mental health, particularly Schizophrenia, OCD and PTSD (among others) , which can be crippling. However, I decided it would be a good idea to reach out to a community who share high anxiety levels, difficulty with eye-contact and struggle with everyday social activity. Instead of rambling on, i've put the rest of my post as bullet pointed "facts about me" which you can read if you're interested! So...

-First things first - I am a nighthawk! People around me say it's damaging to my mental health to stay up through the early hours. I say to them, why is this any different to a job that requires shift work? Besides, I can concentrate better at night - my antipsychotic zombification has subsided enought by around 9 or 10, and I like to make the most of the time where I don't feel over-medicated and stuck in bed.

-One of my passions is Anime, I've probably watched over 100 now but my favorite genre is "Slice of life". Settings with school or college clubs (like SNAFU and Genshiken) take me to a world where I can fit in at school. I was actually diagnosed with PTSD because I was severely bullied there. I still have nightmares and flashbacks, even though it was 15 years ago. I remember always circling around the edges of the different cliques, but was never really accepted by any of them. But with these kinds of anime, I can re-live school as somewhere much gentler and friendlier. My favorite anime is Serial Experiments Lain - It's about a 13 year old girl who starts to see the world being taken over by the "Wired" (like a futuristic internet). I highly recommend it. However, it's not that well known so i'll link to a trailer so you can get a feel for it. Stein's Gate is another classic which most people have probably heard about - group of otaku make a time machine by connecting their phone to a microwave!
There are many more which I can't list here, but if you want any recommendations for a particular drama feel free to contact me and i'll try my best!

-My love of anime led me to a passion for Japan! I've been on vacation to Tokyo 6 times XD During the day I go sightseeing, e.g Odaiba's Onsen and shopping district, Mori Tower and their ever-changing art installation, and the Studio Ghibli museum. In the evening I go to a bar in Shibuya called the Rhythm Café where I made friends with the owners and locals. I've gone back to that bar every time I visited Tokyo! Even though it's hidden away up a side street, it seems to attract the most interesting people, e.g. fashion designers, neurosurgeons, photographers, graphic designers, bands and musicians, and even party organizers! It's my favorite place in the world XD

-At the moment, my current obsession is with programming in Python and Pygame. I'm following a 45 part series of videos which are 30 minutes each! I know it sounds like a long time, but it's worth it because the narrator can explain in details what his lines of code mean. I have also joined team treehouse, which has a vast array of tutorials and mini-tests to keep track of your progress. I'm really hoping that when I remember enough syntax I can find a job using this skill, preferably for a small, start-up company.

-I also love learning about the brain, in particular about neurotransmitters and the reward pathway. I probably spent more hours studying psychology than my degree subject (Philosophy). I'm really interested in altered states of consciousness and how they change one's "lens" on the world.

-Finally, i've spent quite a bit of time pursuing production of electronic music - mostly on Fruity Loops. I enjoy changing the sounds with plugins like Gross-Beat and various other distortions. My primary focus, though has been melody - inventing new tunes (even if they are very simple) is such a rewarding feeling.

-Well, that pretty much sums up my life at the moment, and I look forward to meeting you all!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 6:00 pm

That all sounds very interesting!

Welcome to WP :)

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 8:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 5:53 am

The only things I know about Lowestoft are The Darkness and that lots of old people live there

Welcome to WP!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 7:37 am

beamsplitter wrote:
-At the moment, my current obsession is with programming in Python and Pygame. I'm following a 45 part series of videos which are 30 minutes each! I know it sounds like a long time, but it's worth it because the narrator can explain in details what his lines of code mean. I have also joined team treehouse, which has a vast array of tutorials and mini-tests to keep track of your progress. I'm really hoping that when I remember enough syntax I can find a job using this skill, preferably for a small, start-up company.

What kind of schooling do you have? If you don't already have a college/university degree in computer science, I would strongly recommend pursuing one if possible.

To become a good programmer, you need to study more than just programming language tutorials. You also need to learn things like data structures, algorithm analysis (so you can learn to write code that does things efficiently), theory of computation (to help you recognize what is or isn't possible to do on a computer in the first place), and software engineering (the art of writing code in such a way that as few bugs as possible are introduced when you add new features, and any bugs that do occur are as easy as possible to find and fix).

beamsplitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2019, 4:19 pm

Thanks for the replies all!
And thanks Mona Pereth - all very good points! i'd like to try and get on a remote learning MA course. Formal education is also advantageous for me because I find deadlines much more motivating than informal self study. I'll do some research and see what's out there. In the meantime, are there any other online resources that you can recommend?

beamsplitter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2019, 4:52 pm

Just found that York University (where I did my degree) is offering a fully online MA course that starts in September! Have sent a request to find out more! :D Thanks again!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:26 am

Welcome. :D

SwingateLane
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2019, 4:36 pm

beamsplitter wrote:
Hello all!

My name is Pete, I turned 32 this June (even though I still feel 19!). I was diagnosed with Aspergers in my mid 20's. I live in Lowestoft near my parents. I'm currently on benefits due to my poor mental health, particularly Schizophrenia, OCD and PTSD (among others) , which can be crippling. However, I decided it would be a good idea to reach out to a community who share high anxiety levels, difficulty with eye-contact and struggle with everyday social activity. Instead of rambling on, i've put the rest of my post as bullet pointed "facts about me" which you can read if you're interested! So...

-First things first - I am a nighthawk! People around me say it's damaging to my mental health to stay up through the early hours. I say to them, why is this any different to a job that requires shift work? Besides, I can concentrate better at night - my antipsychotic zombification has subsided enought by around 9 or 10, and I like to make the most of the time where I don't feel over-medicated and stuck in bed.

-One of my passions is Anime, I've probably watched over 100 now but my favorite genre is "Slice of life". Settings with school or college clubs (like SNAFU and Genshiken) take me to a world where I can fit in at school. I was actually diagnosed with PTSD because I was severely bullied there. I still have nightmares and flashbacks, even though it was 15 years ago. I remember always circling around the edges of the different cliques, but was never really accepted by any of them. But with these kinds of anime, I can re-live school as somewhere much gentler and friendlier. My favorite anime is Serial Experiments Lain - It's about a 13 year old girl who starts to see the world being taken over by the "Wired" (like a futuristic internet). I highly recommend it. However, it's not that well known so i'll link to a trailer so you can get a feel for it. Stein's Gate is another classic which most people have probably heard about - group of otaku make a time machine by connecting their phone to a microwave!
There are many more which I can't list here, but if you want any recommendations for a particular drama feel free to contact me and i'll try my best!

-My love of anime led me to a passion for Japan! I've been on vacation to Tokyo 6 times XD During the day I go sightseeing, e.g Odaiba's Onsen and shopping district, Mori Tower and their ever-changing art installation, and the Studio Ghibli museum. In the evening I go to a bar in Shibuya called the Rhythm Café where I made friends with the owners and locals. I've gone back to that bar every time I visited Tokyo! Even though it's hidden away up a side street, it seems to attract the most interesting people, e.g. fashion designers, neurosurgeons, photographers, graphic designers, bands and musicians, and even party organizers! It's my favorite place in the world XD

-I also love learning about the brain, in particular about neurotransmitters and the reward pathway. I probably spent more hours studying psychology than my degree subject (Philosophy). I'm really interested in altered states of consciousness and how they change one's "lens" on the world.

-Finally, i've spent quite a bit of time pursuing production of electronic music - mostly on Fruity Loops. I enjoy changing the sounds with plugins like Gross-Beat and various other distortions. My primary focus, though has been melody - inventing new tunes (even if they are very simple) is such a rewarding feeling.

-Well, that pretty much sums up my life at the moment, and I look forward to meeting you all!

Lowestoft is my favourite Suffolk town :D