What Different Kinds of Privilege?

Page 1 of 7 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,792
Location: Stendec

10 Jul 2019, 12:49 pm

It could generally be said that 'Privileges' are the benefits that people enjoy by virtue of some condition they were born with, born into, or that they have earned. I have tried to find a definitive list of all 'Privileged' groups -- not the privileges themselves -- and have come up with the following list of unique 'privileged' groups, which was pieced together from many sources.

You can have...

• Ableness Privilege
• Age Privilege
• Athletic Privilege
• Beauty Privilege
• Celebrity Privilege
• Cognitive Privilege
• Economic Privilege
• Educational Privilege
• Employment Privilege
• Heterosexual Privilege
• Female Privilege
• Leadership Privilege
• LGBTQ Privilege
• Male Privilege
• Political Privilege
• Racial Privilege
• Religious Privilege

... and likely many others. Each of these 'privileges' confers certain benefits on the listed groups (and their subgroups). It is no longer just "wealthy white heterosexual protestant conservative males" that are recognized for being 'privileged', but many other social groups. Of course, there will be overlapping groups. Can you think of more that have not been listed? (Please do not include subgroups or group combinations.)


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,565
Location: Everville

10 Jul 2019, 2:31 pm

Would relationship status/privilege fall under just whatever sex you are? I was thinking of strictly economical benefits initially, but very often widows/widowed people are excluded from groups they were once a part of. Friends whose spouses are still alive feel uncomfortable and no longer invite widows/widowed friends out on couples dates. The person feels like a third wheel, etc...
Their are also many advantages to being single. Job offers, travel, etc...

I've not given much thought to this, so I'm a bit uninformed.


_________________
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you, it just means we disagree.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,792
Location: Stendec

10 Jul 2019, 4:41 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Would relationship status/privilege fall under just whatever sex you are? ...
Hmm...

• Marital Privilege (discounts on insurance, mortgage payements, et cetera)
• Singlehood Privilege (job flexibility, physical privacy, autonomy, et cetera)
• Widowhood/Survivor Privilege

... there is probably at least one group of 'privileges' for every condition of living.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2016
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,704
Location: Washington

10 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

I would add country-of-origin privilege.



dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2019
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 440
Location: Nashville

10 Jul 2019, 5:35 pm

What about familial privilege? Being born into a successful family can often enable other privileges.


_________________
We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,775
Location: Pacific Northwest

10 Jul 2019, 5:38 pm

Wealth privilege

Being born into wealth privilege

Loving and supportive parent privilege

NT privilege

Able bodied privilege

Intelligence privilege

Straight privilege

Christian privilege


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2016
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,704
Location: Washington

10 Jul 2019, 5:39 pm

Many of these can be subsumed under genetic privilege.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 66,093
Location: Queens, NYC

10 Jul 2019, 5:42 pm

All this stuff about "privilege" can be really annoying.....

I don't feel privileged because I am of a northern European background. My mother's side, actually, were oppressed back in Russia in the 19th century. But she never used that to denounce "privilege" in others.

I'm "privileged" in some ways, "underprivileged" in others. I would say the vast majority of people are "privileged" in some way.



KT67
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 854

11 Jul 2019, 2:41 am

What it means Kraftie is that for eg a millennial Jewish person would be more aware that if someone puts double brackets around your name, they mean to harm you. A gentile millennial wouldn't necessarily need to know that.

That's one of the only egs I can think of in terms of Jewish descent. Because of gentile privilege on my part. I'm sure if you think about it there are subtle things which only Jewish people know which makes life harder for Jewish people, which perfectly well meaning gentiles wouldn't know.

Or for eg an NT wouldn't know that bright lights can hurt some people. An NT would write to a museum saying 'it's nice but a bit drab, what about some more lighting' thinking 'everyone likes a brighter light to see things under'. I would be put in physical pain over that.

Ironically, privilege is one of those things you generally don't know you have. It harms through people being unaware rather than through people being malicious. People shouldn't use it to mean someone is being deliberately malicious, at that point it becomes open bigotry rather than accidental luck of being born into a society which favours them over someone else.

The fact it relies on being unnoticed by most people with it is probably why people take offence to it. Yes, I have different experiences to someone in a wheelchair. But I don't think my being able to go around more subway stations than them is because I'm a bad person. It's because society isn't set up for people in wheelchairs, and it needs to be and we need to be made aware of the facts like that so we can challenge them. Those of us with privilege need to think about helping those without to make society more accessible for them/tolerant of them, that's all. Not take it as an accusation.

It falls flat in certain areas as a theory. Like the idea that ignorance is born out of privilege. Lack of education about other cultures/types of people is quite common in people who aren't privileged (such as in wealth or if someone has learning difficulties) so, it's not true that lack of awareness is a sign of privilege. Aspies don't know what is a dog whistle always, doesn't mean we're privileged just means we lack the social nuances.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,558

11 Jul 2019, 2:47 am

Fnord wrote:
It could generally be said that 'Privileges' are the benefits that people enjoy by virtue of some condition they were born with, born into, or that they have earned. I have tried to find a definitive list of all 'Privileged' groups -- not the privileges themselves -- and have come up with the following list of unique 'privileged' groups, which was pieced together from many sources.

You can have...

• Ableness Privilege
• Age Privilege
• Athletic Privilege
• Beauty Privilege
• Celebrity Privilege
• Cognitive Privilege
• Economic Privilege
• Educational Privilege
• Employment Privilege
• Heterosexual Privilege
• Female Privilege
• Leadership Privilege
• LGBTQ Privilege
• Male Privilege
• Political Privilege
• Racial Privilege
• Religious Privilege

... and likely many others. Each of these 'privileges' confers certain benefits on the listed groups (and their subgroups). It is no longer just "wealthy white heterosexual protestant conservative males" that are recognized for being 'privileged', but many other social groups. Of course, there will be overlapping groups. Can you think of more that have not been listed? (Please do not include subgroups or group combinations.)


White privilege...



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,499
Location: Long Island, New York

11 Jul 2019, 4:17 am

The expansion of the definition of privilege that says you are automatically privileged because you are "born this way" was a mistake.

Being born white or a man or cisgender decreases your odds of being stereotyped and discriminated against, it does not guarantee this won't happen to you or will happen less. This definition looks at the problem ass-backward. It is not a privilege to be not discriminated against, that is how it is supposed to be. The problem is discrimination is more likely against minorities


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,383
Location: Sweden

11 Jul 2019, 4:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
White privilege...


Which is separate from "racial privilege" how?


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,558

11 Jul 2019, 4:42 am

Starts with "W"



Amity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,976
Location: Meandering

11 Jul 2019, 5:04 am

^^Lol

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The expansion of the definition of privilege that says you are automatically privileged because you are "born this way" was a mistake.

Being born white or a man or cisgender decreases your odds of being stereotyped and discriminated against, it does not guarantee this won't happen to you or will happen less. This definition looks at the problem ass-backward. It is not a privilege to be not discriminated against, that is how it is supposed to be. The problem is discrimination is more likely against minorities

Just wanted to quote this



KT67
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 854

11 Jul 2019, 5:20 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The expansion of the definition of privilege that says you are automatically privileged because you are "born this way" was a mistake.

Being born white or a man or cisgender decreases your odds of being stereotyped and discriminated against, it does not guarantee this won't happen to you or will happen less. This definition looks at the problem ass-backward. It is not a privilege to be not discriminated against, that is how it is supposed to be. The problem is discrimination is more likely against minorities


True.

But it's about the society we live in at the moment. How we navigate it. Probably hard for some autistic people to understand because it's about social roles.

We need to get to a point where it doesn't matter who's privileged or not.

I think I only have white privilege when I'm in parts of England (my own experience living various places). But 50 years ago I wouldn't have had it there. So things can improve. My dad's family got treated bad and esp bad in the 70s and 80s so it can get worse as well as better. (you know that thing where Arabs are assumed to be terrorists? That hasn't always been Arabs treated that way in the UK)

I hate how global it is spoken about because of the internet. How automatic it is spoken about. That's not true, people live in specific societies around the world. Pale skin doesn't create white privilege, a society which preferences everyone with pale skin does. A society where 'what school did you go to' is a controversial question or where they judge you for your surname starting with 'o' or ending with 'stein' doesn't have universal white privilege. There is also colourism in the black community.

It was 30 years ago yesterday Rangers signed their very first Catholic player since the 1920s, they got away with that because it was common practice not to hire Catholics in the mid 20th century because they were assumed to be of Irish or Italian or Polish descent.