How many of you experienced this

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 8:44 am

Hi,
I want to know if you grew up with parents who told you that you could do things like date, have a life, and do certain things. Then when it boiled right down to it, they set boundaries on what you could and could not do. All the while, you see your siblings being seeming to have more unlimited options

With me, my parents were pickier about who I could date and would not let me date them because they did something they did not approve of. All the while, my sisters were allowed to date whoever they wanted despite my parents' approval.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 1:26 pm

Yes. When I would go online mom would say I spent to much time on the computer. But my brother would be on all day too. When I wanted to go out and have fun, she said it was to old for that. But my brother could go to parties and stuff and she wouldnt care. He is the favorite one!

magz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 1:45 pm

Not really.
My parents are ultra-conservative and their expectations about us were even in these terms. I was the most free spirited of my siblings and it put me in trouble but I don't think any of us was really favored in general.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 4:32 am

Whenever I would confront them about this, they didn't get it. One of my sisters thinks that I tend to "Victimize myself."