Work discrimination based on gender, ASD or me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 8:18 pm

I have a significant pay gap and opportunity gap. I am in technology, a male-dominated part of the company. Proactively or when I questioned, my previous management did what they could. Long story short, my recent management wants me off the team. I love my current job. This stinks.

I think the answer to my Subject line is "YES".

Anybody have experiences to relate? that ended happily or not?

(Yes, I am writing down the work events that contribute to this "death by 1,000 paper cuts".)

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 12:46 am

I wonder if you could set up a private meeting with the manager to seek his feedback on your performance (perhaps with reference to your position description)?
This would put him on the spot - he would either have to admit that your performance has been satisfactory (which will help protect you against being fired) or he will have to explain the areas in which he expects improvement (which at least will give you a better idea of where you stand).

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 3:16 am

Hard to tell without knowing the details. Has there been any complaints about you messing up your work or doing things too slowly? If yes, then those are probably the reasons they want you off the team and it's not discrimination.

But if not and you're the only one they try to get rid off, then it very well might be a case of discrimination, be it your ASD or you being a woman. If it turns out to be because you're a woman, then that's usually easier to prove and easier to get people on your side, assuming your area isn't highly misogynistic.

As for the pay gap and opportunity gap, lots of women face that (as well as lot of racial minorities, or so I've heard), but having those isn't automatically unfair. Are you less educated than your fellow workers? Do less hours? Don't do as flexible hours? Haven't been in the house as long? These could all be reasons for you getting paid less and they aren't unfair ones. As for the opportunity gap, it could be you not knowing how to market yourself properly, how to tell your superiors that you could handle more responsibility as well. This is common for people with ASD.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 10:00 am

MrsPeel wrote:
I wonder if you could set up a private meeting with the manager to seek his feedback on your performance (perhaps with reference to your position description)?
This would put him on the spot - he would either have to admit that your performance has been satisfactory (which will help protect you against being fired) or he will have to explain the areas in which he expects improvement (which at least will give you a better idea of where you stand).

@MrsPeel, thank you for the suggestion. The big boss privately told me I needed more widgets - so I did that. Then he said I needed higher value widgets - which is in his control, so I asked for more and he shrugged me off (high-value widgets go to "friends"). With my manager (and HR) as witness the big boss listed my project/design work as positive and then said I need to fix the things I mentioned first in this post: viewtopic.php?t=378753. I'm working on it, but am afraid no matter what I do, the big boss has his club and knows I am not in it (drinking to excess and BBQing are rewarded). Thankfully, I'm well respected within the company so that's encouraging, but it's hard to be "ousted" from a group. ...Would that I go with the flow...

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 10:17 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Hard to tell without knowing the details. Has there been any complaints about you messing up your work or doing things too slowly? If yes, then those are probably the reasons they want you off the team and it's not discrimination.

But if not and you're the only one they try to get rid off, then it very well might be a case of discrimination, be it your ASD or you being a woman. If it turns out to be because you're a woman, then that's usually easier to prove and easier to get people on your side, assuming your area isn't highly misogynistic.

As for the pay gap and opportunity gap, lots of women face that (as well as lot of racial minorities, or so I've heard), but having those isn't automatically unfair. Are you less educated than your fellow workers? Do less hours? Don't do as flexible hours? Haven't been in the house as long? These could all be reasons for you getting paid less and they aren't unfair ones. As for the opportunity gap, it could be you not knowing how to market yourself properly, how to tell your superiors that you could handle more responsibility as well. This is common for people with ASD.

Sorry to not supply details. The whole experience is rather painful. Being put down at my advanced age and trying to figure out how to deal with it... is embarrassing. I have checked with various peers and they agree I'm being treated unfairly.

Thank for the considerations (I have read the same online :) ). I have seniority, I have equal degrees to some and more than most. My peers agree I have parity and then some more. Yes, that last part: I don't self promote well. I read an ASD's dream is that great work is seen and rewarded. In any case, a year ago I started "showing" my work but apparently was too late in doing so. I need to face my fears and find a job where I am valued and respected. Here I am valued but respected by peers and clients, but not by new management. Boo.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm

Ask your boss what you could do to do your job better. Get it in writing.

Do what the boss said

Document your success

You could try to win a civil lawsuit

But lawsuits take two years and lawyers cost 600 bucks an hour. The outcome is not guaranteed.

"Discrimination"

However some states are "at will" employer

In those states, the boss can fire employees for any reason or no reason. As long as it is not illegal.

Furthermore even if you can :evil: prove :evil: your work was better quality and quantity than your coworkers. And you got canned and they did not, you do not have a "right" to have that job. Or any other one

Discrimination discrimination discrimination

Organize a boycott or protest

Tell human resources

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 9:10 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Ask your boss what you could do to do your job better. Get it in writing.

@shortfatbalduglyman, I wish I had had that in writing. I was afraid to note the verbal conversation in an email. So, yes: I asked, he said, I did. Then I asked again and there was more, verbal. I discerned it was the proverbial carrot. I contacted HR who witnessed, but nothing in writing. Ah, well. Doing my best. Trying to find the line for assertiveness... folks abide by the "Culture of Quiet" for a reason... to speak up is generally a ticket out. Apparently I'm about to take that ride. Love my job, but can't abide by the current circumstances (I am not alone in this sentiment on the team, but I'm the easier target).

* Organizing: Yes (connecting folks in the pattern)
* Legal consideration: Yes (friends suggested it)
* Agonizing: Yes (and hence this post)