Do Superheroes' "No-Kill Rule" Hold Them Back?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lucgn01
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2019, 12:00 am

It seems like "no-kill rules" only exist so that the heroes could have the supposed moral high-ground. They don't have much use practically speaking. For example, Batman not killing the Joker could be seen as him not sinking to his level of depravity, but he's still fully aware that the Joker will kill dozens more in no time.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Jul 2019, 1:15 am

If this was in the so-called "real world" I would think it's better to kill the dangerous villains or chose not to save them than to let them go; I could name some bad guys & instantiates in real life where it was justified but I don't want this thread to turn into a political debate. However in the superhero universe, the heroes tend to be portrayed as being much better than normal people. Sure they do have some various weaknesses & flaws but they almost always try to do the rite thing & like you said have the moral high-ground. People want to be able to look up to the heroes. Plus not killing the villains makes things more interesting & easier to write. If the heroes killed the villains, the writers would have to create new villains to take their place. People tend to like some predictability as well so reusing the same characters makes sense.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 2:11 am

Its an issue I lie awake at night worrying about!

Comic book superheroes failing to advance in the world!

Who cares if real life folks on the autism spectrum advance?

We cant worry about that as long as there is a single fictional superhero in the world being held back! :lol: