Living in a foreign city or a foreign country

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2019, 8:39 pm

Hi! Have anyone of you lived in a foreign city? Or in a foreign country?

How have you developed in social life? Or in life in general? Has been well?

Do you recommend it for another aspies?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 5:11 am

I haven't, but I'd say that in order to build a life anywhere, you need to learn the local language.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 5:22 am

I lived two months in a third world country. Like anywhere else, meeting folks is about a shared activity or interest. I was in a country where connections are mostly made through family, but I was able to find folks who came from other countries and didn't have family, so were open to friends. I was mostly in the city so that was confronting from a sensory perspective. The experience was amazing and awful. I don't regret it (although was the bug that caused the four-day fever passing?) and I appreciate the wonders (memories for a lifetime!).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 4:56 am

I spent three years living in Asia (Singapore and Malaysia). There is an adjustment phase where you have to let go of old habits/ideas and develop an openness to new experiences. Once I managed that I had a great time. I would have gone back had I not got married and put my roots back in Australia.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 4:36 am

I've lived in various cities across three different states of Australia.

No matter where I go I've just managed to do what has to be done and carry on. The language and culture hasn't changed, there has been very little difference between one place and another.