Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm

What do you all think of the show Atypical? Did you find it to be a realistic portrayal of a person with autism? Will you watch season 3 when it comes out?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 3:04 pm

Not sure what atypical is.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 3:42 pm

I liked the second season a lot better than the first because of the addition of Sam's peer group which was made up of actors that are actually autistic. I loved that aspect and since the second season came out I've replayed just the peer group scenes many times because I enjoy them that much.

My hope is that in season three (yes I will be watching it) there are more scenes with people who are actually autistic playing autistics.

It will be interesting to see in season three how Sam evolves while going to college. The show is an interesting example of helicopter parenting of an autistic child. I was not parented that way growing up in the 1970s-1980s and not being diagnosed and as such I was far more independent early on than autistic children that are diagnosed early and have interventions as a major and regular part of their lives.

One thing that bugs me about Sam is that often a response of his to others is: "I know".

"Sam, your artwork is very good!" Sam: "I know." He should have been taught early on to say "Thank you". It's just something that bugs me about the character. He says it many times.

Overall, I think it's a very good show.

I may be biased though in that I wish there were autism channels. All autism all the time. Shows created by autistics, with autistics, for autistics. I'd watch such a channel daily. I seek out any movie or show that is autism related and watch it if it looks good.

Last edited by Magna on 04 Aug 2019, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 3:45 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Not sure what atypical is.

It’s a Netflix Original series about an 18 year old guy on the autism spectrum.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 4:57 pm

Nice. I don't have the netflix channel.

Lone Replicant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2019, 7:48 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

It's in The Pirate Bay.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 8:42 pm

Lone Replicant wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

It's in The Pirate Bay.

Pirate bay? We had Captain Blackbeard in this area I believe. Not heard of pirate bay though.