Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 5:22 am

I am not going to quote from this article as it goes over points readers of this section are probably familiar with. I posted this article is because it is very heavily weighted towards a pro ND position and the Washington Post is an influential paper. This is the media representation section after all.

How a ‘Sesame Street’ Muppet became embroiled in a controversy over autism - Washington Post

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 12:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am not going to quote from this article as it goes over points readers of this section are probably familiar with. I posted this article is because it is very heavily weighted towards a pro ND position and the Washington Post is an influential paper. This is the media representation section after all.

How a ‘Sesame Street’ Muppet became embroiled in a controversy over autism - Washington Post

Thanks so much for sharing this! It’s so rare for one of the big mainstream news publications to take a pro-ND stance, and I hope to see more and more articles like this being published as time goes on.

It seems like every time our community makes a major stride (Julia in this case), those cretins at A$ have to ruin it...

#palestinianlivesmatter

d057
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:18 am

It was a therapeutic summer camp designed for children and teens with ADHD. I believe it still exists now. I believe it was sponsored through the county hospital.

Touretter wrote:
d057 wrote:
What are compliance-based therapies? My parents sent me to a summer day camp back in my elementary school days. It used this point system that was basically intended to reward kids for good behavior and punish them for behaviors they deem as "bad." Earning enough points meant you were allowed to go on a field trip at the end of the week. Not earning enough points meant you had to stay and do chores. Is that an example of a "compliance-based therapy?"

From the sounds of it , you might have been subject to a therapy cult , based upon the B.I.T.E. model criteria . Modifying behavior with rewards and punishments falls under behavior control , in relation to thought reform . This would not be the first time that cults have been involved in trying to suppress autistic traits in people . https://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2006/11/07/autism-scientology-and-the-moonies/