Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:35 am

Roboto wrote:
I see many posts that resonate with me and I'd like to give a thumbs up for their point of view but I don't want to quote them and clutter up a thread. Is there anyway to have a "like" button like I've seen on some other forums to give people a thumbs up?
:thumbdown:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Nope. WrongPlanet doesn't have that feature; I wish they had it.
Roboto wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Nope. WrongPlanet doesn't have that feature; I wish they had it.
"Like!"
VegetableMan wrote:
Given that WP is an autism support site, and many of us on the spectrum are dealing with insecurities, that might not be a great idea.
:thumright:
Roboto wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Given that WP is an autism support site, and many of us on the spectrum are dealing with insecurities, that might not be a great idea.
It may help with insecurities to have other people "like" your posts and help you feel more connected. I'm not suggesting a "dislike" button. :)
kraftiekortie wrote:
There would never be a "dislike" button on WP-----and if there was, then somebody is absolutely going crazy!
DeepHour wrote:
What if very few people, or nobody, 'liked' someone's posts? Mightn't that person see it as very similar to getting 'dislikes'?
Mountain Goat wrote:
Roboto wrote:
I see many posts that resonate with me and I'd like to give a thumbs up for their point of view but I don't want to quote them and clutter up a thread. Is there anyway to have a "like" button like I've seen on some other forums to give people a thumbs up?
I "Like" this idea... :lol: Ok. Too much humour!
DeepHour wrote:
roboto wrote:
What if nobody ever responds to a poster or ever quotes them? What's the difference?
Agreed. Some people probably take it badly when no-one responds to a thread they've started, or a post, and absence of 'likes' could engender a similar sense of despondency in such persons. I'm not putting that forward as a particularly strong point, but it's still something to bear in mind.
Roboto wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
roboto wrote:
What if nobody ever responds to a poster or ever quotes them? What's the difference?
Agreed. Some people probably take it badly when no-one responds to a thread they've started, or a post, and absence of 'likes' could engender a similar sense of despondency in such persons.
"like" "thumbs up" and so on...
DeepHour wrote:
Roboto wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
roboto wrote:
Agreed. Some people probably take it badly when no-one responds to a thread they've started, or a post, and absence of 'likes' could engender a similar sense of despondency in such persons.
"like" "thumbs up" and so on...
:wtg:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
What if very few people, or nobody, 'liked' someone's posts? Mightn't that person see it as very similar to getting 'dislikes'?
I agree with this. I'm glad we don't have like buttons. People would end up just "liking" almost every post to avoid upsetting anyone, and then the whole point of the "like" becomes redundant. Also, I think it would discourage people from actually replying to posts, having conversations, and getting to know each other. The beauty of WP in my opinion, is when people communicate and discover their common thoughts.
nick007 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
I agree with this. I'm glad we don't have like buttons. People would end up just "liking" almost every post to avoid upsetting anyone, and then the whole point of the "like" becomes redundant. Also, I think it would discourage people from actually replying to posts, having conversations, and getting to know each other. The beauty of WP in my opinion, is when people communicate and discover their common thoughts.
A forum I was on aLOT before I joined WP had the like & dislike feature & it turned into something like a popularity contest. We got questioned by the admin if someone voted against the grain too much. If I disliked a bunch of posts others liked or liked a bunch of posts others disliked, I would have to explain to the admin why I liked or disliked em. It was failed attempt to stop people from rating posts unfairly but the system pretty much encouraged people to vote like everyone else which made the like & dislike feature useless except for popularity.
EzraS wrote:
There are various approval buttons on Aspie Central. It is fun to give and receive them. I do not think it has ever been a problem. But unless someone takes over developer/admin duties from Alex, such a thing will never be installed.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 9:57 pm

One thing I consider is that most people who gave my posts a like, would rather do so anonymously.

(attempted humor)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 7:34 pm

I post on another forum that has a "like" button under a different name.

It sounds good on the surface, but then you get people whoring for "likes". Instead of contributing to a thread, they just post stupid, smart alec remarks that others of their ilk see and press.

You can even check to see what your ranking is. My ranking isn't very high for my number of posts, but then I enter replies for the purpose of discussion, not to give me some bogus sense of being popular.

That's not enough for the "like" whores. They want to be able to vote threads down as well so that they can gang up against those with "unpopular" opinions and try to shame them by voting them down.

The only thing a "like" button gives you is a tyranny of the majority. I imagine that many people here see enough of that in real life. This is really not the place for it.