Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 8:06 pm

That and all the other online tests. EQ, FQ, PDD Assessment, Mind in the Eyes test, SQ, Aspie Quiz, etc.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:54 am

Why do you think they are useless?

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:10 am

I feel those “tests” should be used as screening tools, preliminary to a diagnosis by a professional.

Even the tests themselves don’t claim they are authoritatively diagnostic.

I wouldn’t conclude I have autism or Aspergers based upon the results of these tests.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:24 am

Yes, that is exactly what they are for and they even say that that is what they are for. They are tools that anyone can use that are free and easy to access so that people can easily find out if they could be candidates for Autism testing.

Wreck It Ralph

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 9:07 am

livingwithautism wrote:
That and all the other online tests. EQ, FQ, PDD Assessment, Mind in the Eyes test, SQ, Aspie Quiz, etc.
While they may be used as screening tools for people without access to mental-health practitioners, their algorithms seem to be heavily skewed toward giving positive results.

Useless? Not entirely.

Useful? Ditto.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
[While they may be used as screening tools for people without access to mental-health practitioners, their algorithms seem to be heavily skewed toward giving positive results.

That's exactly my point. False positive results can lead to over-self-diagnosis.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
While they may be used as screening tools for people without access to mental-health practitioners, their algorithms seem to be heavily skewed toward giving positive results.

Useless? Not entirely.

Useful? Ditto.

How are they heavily skewed?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:35 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
While they may be used as screening tools for people without access to mental-health practitioners, their algorithms seem to be heavily skewed toward giving positive results. Useless? Not entirely. Useful? Ditto.
How are they heavily skewed?
How the heck should I know? All I do know is that whenever I take one of those on-line tests, I receive positive results no matter what combination of answers I give. You would have to ask the people who design them ... or maybe the organizations they recommend after rendering a positive result.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:45 pm

Actually I know of several people who have gotten results saying that they are not likely to be Autistic

But I also think that that most people who self diagnose use a lot more info than just those tests. I know that those of us who self diagnosed ourselves here did a lot of research and taking all of those tests was just a small part of that research. I did eighteen months of intense research in true aspie special interest fashion researching every article and video and anything I could get my hands on and reading a bunch of material before I made a decision that I was definitely Autistic.

Wreck It Ralph

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 9:35 pm

skibum wrote:
Actually I know of several people who have gotten results saying that they are not likely to be Autistic

But I also think that that most people who self diagnose use a lot more info than just those tests. I know that those of us who self diagnosed ourselves here did a lot of research and taking all of those tests was just a small part of that research. I did eighteen months of intense research in true aspie special interest fashion researching every article and video and anything I could get my hands on and reading a bunch of material before I made a decision that I was definitely Autistic.

Why didn't you pursue a professional diagnosis?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 10:12 pm

I think they have a use.

For instance, a lot of late diagnosed people come across them, more than anything to see if there is much reason to pursue it further. Autism testing can be expensive and have long waiting lists, and for an adult trying to figure it out on their own, very highly stressful.

They simply shouldn't be used as an end all be all. Taken with a grain of salt. Plus the aspie quiz is kinda cool with how they break everything up.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 10:50 pm

Skibum does have an official diagnosis.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2019, 12:30 am

livingwithautism wrote:
That's exactly my point.

You didn't make any point. You just expressed an opinion without in any way explaining how you formed that opinion. If that was your point it would have been helpful to explain it in your opening post.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2019, 12:46 am

Fnord wrote:
All I do know is that whenever I take one of those on-line tests, I receive positive results no matter what combination of answers I give.

It's very easy to deliberately get negative results with both the AQ and Aspie Quiz.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 3:08 am

livingwithautism wrote:
skibum wrote:

Why didn't you pursue a professional diagnosis?
I self diagnosed before I got my professional diagnosis.

Wreck It Ralph

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 4:17 am

I found the AQ very helpful when I was trying to find out what the heck was wrong with me.