Dozens Of Genes Linked To Autism, UCLA Researchers Find

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 3:39 am

CBS Los Angeles

Quote:
A new study released Thursday has discovered dozens of genes that can increase a person’s risk of having autism.

The study, spearheaded by UCLA researchers, mapped the DNA of 2,300 people from almost 500 families and found 69 genes that could increase a child’s risk for autism spectrum disorder.

Of those 69 genes, 16 had not been previously suspected of being linked to autism, according to a news release from UCLA.

Researchers discovered that parents of children with autism carried much more of these high-risk genes than parents of children without autism.

The researchers studied families with at least two children with autism. Of the children in the study, 960 had autism and 217 did not.

The study was published in the most recent edition of the journal Cell. It also included researchers from Stanford and three other colleges.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman