Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 8:35 am

Except for things like going to the doctor, and grocery shopping, I've not gone out for several months . I'm restricted as to where I can go due to my poor sense of direction. My going out alone is either to go to a cafe in the area I know how to get to and from ,or very occasionally to buy a few items from the smallish supermarket in town.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 9:40 am

I go out a lot because I love being outside like in nature. But I don't like being in places with lots of people because I get fatigued and overwhelmed easily. If I go to places with lots of people they have to be doing the same thing I am doing like kayaking or skiing. Otherwise, if they are doing all different things, it overwhelms me. Even if I am at a cafe or something and there are too many conversations going on, I get overwhelmed.

Wreck It Ralph

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2019, 9:56 am

I've had times where I've not left the house for months. I'm currently finding it really difficult to go out, actually. I'm not sure why I struggle to go out, I think my main issues are the noise and the people. I can go places that are really quiet like a nature walk or something, but walking around a town or city is too much, and I currently live in the city so there's no where to go that isn't horrible for me.
I'm not scared of the people, I just don't know why they look at me and it makes me feel uneasy.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 10:01 am

I go out when I have to...I don't generally like being outside (around other people or alone) . I have severe sensory issues and its both too bright outside and I can't stand the feel of wind on my skin.

I feel a bit like a vampire sometimes . I prefer it dark, quiet and still in the late night/very early morning if I must be out.

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2019, 11:18 am

I very rarely go anywhere. Internet shopping removed the need entirely, thankfully.

There are places I would like to go but they are too far away for me to get to in the small amounts of time free.

I once didn't leave the house for five years. It felt very strange when I did go out. The cars had changed shape and men were wearing tights!! I felt as if I was floating it was so peculiar. It was interesting enough for me to repeat it quite a few times but in the end I have slipped back into not going anywhere. Except that as I am having trouble with scheduling grocery deliveries I am walking to the local shop again. And I went to the doctor for the first time in about seven years but am unlikely to repeat that anytime soon. It was a humiliating waste of time. All my problems are in my head so there is nothing they can do anyway as I don't want drugs. It was actually a good reminder that so many ailments are caused by stress and I am unlikely to have any of the conditions I have been imagining. So chin up, keep moving, eat right, get enough light, learn a new language (arabic), keep out of my family's way and enjoy the summer (because winter IS coming) and all will be as well as it can be in this mad world of ours.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 12:31 pm

People tell me I need to get out more but tend to forget I live in a teeny tiny little hick town and do not have a car. Where exactly I'm supposed to go, they don't specify that either.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

09 Aug 2019, 1:47 pm

I try to get out every day. Once in a while I like to go into the city, walk around, get a nice lunch, hang out in Washington Square Park, listen to the jazz bands and people watch.

My problem is that I have few conversations. Mostly just small talk. Conversation is a skill that needs to be practiced. I really hate talking on the phone. The cues are difficult and filling the gaps usually lead to gaffs. I am forgiving of mistakes, but I find many people are not.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

love2connect
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2019, 3:06 pm

Nope... I do not go out much. Mostly because my SPD is too intense for me. The only places I go to are work and grocery stores, lol. I have an intense inner world, however, so I'm perfectly okay with it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 4:23 pm

I go out quite a lot now because I have a lot of activities: church, Toastmasters, tennis and social events connected to my various activities.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 6:45 pm

I enjoy variety (a bit of a sensation seeker), so if on my own would likely get out - for walks at least. Since I have a family, I use my NT husband and kids as a crutch to go places. I go to work and appts by myself, otherwise I typically have a companion. I'm trying to think of the last place I went by myself (asides work/appts)…. hmmm.... hmmmm… I went to a family gathering: husband dropped me off at airport and cousin picked me up at airport. So I travelled "alone" for three hours.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2019, 6:54 pm

Most of my outings outside of my apartment are limited to grocery shopping, paying the rent and going for walks. On the other hand, getting out to socialize is a thing I don't do. I actually started playing Pokémon Go so that I have a reason to get out.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm

DanielW wrote:
I go out when I have to...I don't generally like being outside (around other people or alone) . I have severe sensory issues and its both too bright outside and I can't stand the feel of wind on my skin.

I feel a bit like a vampire sometimes . I prefer it dark, quiet and still in the late night/very early morning if I must be out.

I'm also sensitive to the light. I counter it by wearing sunglasses and a hat with a low brim. I have balance issues not autism related where I can be literally blown over by a strong breeze. Meaning I only go outside for walks on windless, preferably cloudy days.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 1:56 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Except for things like going to the doctor, and grocery shopping, I've not gone out for several months . I'm restricted as to where I can go due to my poor sense of direction. My going out alone is either to go to a cafe in the area I know how to get to and from ,or very occasionally to buy a few items from the smallish supermarket in town.

I have a terrible sense of direction and GPS like Google maps on my smartphone eliminates the fear of getting lost whether I'm walking or driving. I never leave my house without my phone. I can also call a cab or Uber from it if I need to. That said I don't go out much simply because I only have one friend that lives remotely close to me and she is sick a lot of the time. I'm also content with being at home playing video games or reading. I'll go out maybe once every month or two. You should use Google maps then you would never get lost.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 2:10 pm

FallingDownMan wrote:
DanielW wrote:

I'm also sensitive to the light. I counter it by wearing sunglasses and a hat with a low brim. I have balance issues not autism related where I can be literally blown over by a strong breeze. Meaning I only go outside for walks on windless, preferably cloudy days.
Is that why you are FallingDownMan?

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 2:11 pm

I go out for appointments, but I make them as few as possible. Maybe three per month? I do online shopping for groceries, etc., as much as possible. I walk my dog but mostly in the dark, when no one is around. I am Agoraphobic but I also have extreme sensory aversions to daylight. This keeps me indoors, as much as humanly possible, until the sun sets.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 2:21 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I go out quite a lot now because I have a lot of activities: church, Toastmasters, tennis and social events connected to my various activities.
What is Toastmasters? I got a mental visual of a bunch of people eating toast but somehow I don't think I am right.

Wreck It Ralph