Film where elite liberals hunt deplorables cancelled

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 8:33 pm

Universal pulls release of "The Hunt" following pressure from Trump, Fox News

Quote:
controversy has erupted over Universal's decision to pull "The Hunt" — a horror satire in which wealthy elitists hunt so-called "deplorables" for sport — after the film was attacked by conservatives including President Donald Trump.

Universal's decision was made after Trump tweeted on Friday that "Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves 'Elite,' but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite. The movie coming out is made in order to inflame and cause chaos. They create their own violence, and then try to blame others. They are the true Racists, and are very bad for our Country!"

Fox News both complained about the release of the movie and celebrated its failure to launch.

"Cancelation of ‘The Hunt’ is a victory for gun-toting, Bible-clinging patriots," wrote Fox News' Todd Starnes. As Buzzfeed News reported, the network mounted a concerted campaign against the film:

In a statement on Saturday, the studio explained that "while Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for The Hunt, after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film. We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

There was considerable backlash on Twitter against Universal's decision.

In response to a tweet by evangelist Franklin Graham denouncing "The Hunt," film critic Mike McGranaghan observed that it's "probably a good time to point out that no one (including critics) has actually seen THE HUNT yet, so we have no idea whether it's politically charged or, if it is, what the politics are. This is a lame attempt to continue fanning the flames of an already sadly divided nation."

Scott Mendelson, a senior contributor at Forbes who covers entertainment financial news, described the cancellation of "The Hunt" as "Morally Indefensible And Financially Unavoidable" in his headline. After describing the various financial reasons why Universal may have pulled the film after the 2014 controversy surrounding another politically charged movie, "The Interview," he described the possible moral implications of the studio's decision.

Fox and Trump have learned how to no platform from the SJW's well. It's only an attack on free speech when progressives do it, got it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 10:00 pm

I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I say let it play. It is obviously not based in reality. If the goal was for it to be realistic, it would need to be set in Appalachia to see how truly well Antifa would do. Thus far, all the coverage of successful violence has taken place in hoighty toighty places where people have all their teeth.

I'd pay good money to see an Antifa come up against one of those 'wrong turn' families who have never left the 'holler.' They'd be dangling upside down by a bear trap and served as Sunday dinner.

I get a kick out of this stuff. Fact is, there's a LOT of this country that Antifa has no clue about. And I would love to see the looks on their faces.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 9:45 am

I don't get it. The "liberals" are the bad guys in the film, aren't they? Shouldn't it be the democrats shutting it down if anyone? :?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 9:51 am

Persephone29 wrote:
I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I say let it play. It is obviously not based in reality. If the goal was for it to be realistic, it would need to be set in Appalachia to see how truly well Antifa would do. Thus far, all the coverage of successful violence has taken place in hoighty toighty places where people have all their teeth.

I'd pay good money to see an Antifa come up against one of those 'wrong turn' families who have never left the 'holler.' They'd be dangling upside down by a bear trap and served as Sunday dinner.

I get a kick out of this stuff. Fact is, there's a LOT of this country that Antifa has no clue about. And I would love to see the looks on their faces.

Send them to Texas...or better yet, Idaho.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 10:10 am

Drake wrote:
I don't get it. The "liberals" are the bad guys in the film, aren't they? Shouldn't it be the democrats shutting it down if anyone? :?

Right. It's a satire. The MAGA people are the underdog, good guys.

lucgn01
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2019, 1:30 pm

I figured that the movie would be a "Hunger Games" type of film where the "deplorables" rise up against the elites and are ultimately the good guys. Regardless, this is something that I'm seeing a lot on both sides of the political spectrum, where freedom of speech or expression stops functioning if it's something that you disagree with. To essentially force a project to shut down because you disagree with its message is very draconian and very worrying.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 2:28 pm

Drake wrote:

Bingo

A Violent Movie Satirizing America's Culture War Gets Cancelled by America's Culture War
Quote:
At the intersection of post-shooting panic and our hyperpartisan culture wars, the film The Hunt was struck by a semi-truck of stupid outrage and cancelled.

The Hunt, an R-rated violent satire of the very attitudes that ended up destroying it, is based on the well-worn horror trope of people hunting other people for sport. The twist for The Hunt is that the hunters are rich urban elites (read: liberals) hunting average Joes with accents from flyover territory (read: conservatives). The movie comes from Blumhouse Productions, the same folks behind the Purge series and Get Out, which also involve the privileged violently taking advantage and killing the less privileged.

In movies like this, the audience is expected to identify with and cheer for the people being hunted. The elite liberals are the bad guys of the movie. They are hunting down and murdering conservatives because of their opinions.

Yet somehow, thanks to Fox coverage and some subsequent tweets from President Donald Trump, the movie's concept was twisted into an idea that Hollywood wanted us to be rooting for murderous elites. The Daily Beast notes that The Hunt has been the subject of at least 21 segments on Fox News and Fox Business Network (including reruns), and that these reports have generally assumed that the movie is a celebration of murdering conservatives

This is stupid snowflake nonsense from right-wing pundits—and probably just the pundits. (Are any conservatives who don't make a living off the televised culture war offended by the film?) It is as inane as blaming video games for real-world violence.

Certainly, movies and television shows have been pulled or delayed when the timing of violent or deadly real-world incidents intersects in a potentially traumatic way. But this isn't really a case of that. The Hunt is being cancelled because a group of vocal partisans cannot handle a movie that satirizes the caustic turn the culture war has taken.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 6:01 pm

The premise was in such poor taste that I'm surprised it was given the green light in the first place.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 6:32 pm

So because Hollywood is very strongly left and very strongly anti-Trump, they assumed they made a power trip about liberals killing conservatives.

I bet certain people on both sides would have got off on their side killing the other side. Was there a salient message about the state of America in there somewhere though? I guess we'll never know. Or not for a while anyway.

Something amusing, people were criticising / joking in the comments section of the trailer about not needing to see the movie because they showed us the whole thing in the trailer. Well, I guess it's a good thing that they did! :P

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 7:11 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Send them to Texas...or better yet, Idaho.

Why should you guys have all the fun? I'm thinking it could be like one of those games, where Antifa gets sent to a hunting camp with trail cams. :twisted: As long as you save some for Kentucky, I guess you can go first. Kentucky isn't where I live, it's where I vacation.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 7:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
The premise was in such poor taste that I'm surprised it was given the green light in the first place.

The 'Purge' series of films made people money a lot a money , they just altered the format and ripped off numerous films - it's all about the Benjamin's baby

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 7:43 pm

Persephone29 wrote:

I would imagine many of the people in the Appalachian Mountains would have a "No Trespassing" sign on their property. You don't mess with Mountain Men on their turf. You just don't.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Universal pulls release of "The Hunt" following pressure from Trump, Fox News
Quote:
controversy has erupted over Universal's decision to pull "The Hunt" — a horror satire in which wealthy elitists hunt so-called "deplorables" for sport — after the film was attacked by conservatives including President Donald Trump.

Universal's decision was made after Trump tweeted on Friday that "Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves 'Elite,' but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite. The movie coming out is made in order to inflame and cause chaos. They create their own violence, and then try to blame others. They are the true Racists, and are very bad for our Country!"

Fox News both complained about the release of the movie and celebrated its failure to launch.

"Cancelation of ‘The Hunt’ is a victory for gun-toting, Bible-clinging patriots," wrote Fox News' Todd Starnes. As Buzzfeed News reported, the network mounted a concerted campaign against the film:

In a statement on Saturday, the studio explained that "while Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for The Hunt, after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film. We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

There was considerable backlash on Twitter against Universal's decision.

In response to a tweet by evangelist Franklin Graham denouncing "The Hunt," film critic Mike McGranaghan observed that it's "probably a good time to point out that no one (including critics) has actually seen THE HUNT yet, so we have no idea whether it's politically charged or, if it is, what the politics are. This is a lame attempt to continue fanning the flames of an already sadly divided nation."

Scott Mendelson, a senior contributor at Forbes who covers entertainment financial news, described the cancellation of "The Hunt" as "Morally Indefensible And Financially Unavoidable" in his headline. After describing the various financial reasons why Universal may have pulled the film after the 2014 controversy surrounding another politically charged movie, "The Interview," he described the possible moral implications of the studio's decision.

Fox and Trump have learned how to no platform from the SJW's well. It's only an attack on free speech when progressives do it, got it.

And at this point, I don't care if Trump has started at it too. SJW's have done this to the other side before, so why should their side not go by the same standard anyway?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:03 pm

If the production was truly pulled under pressure from President Trump, then this is one of the few times (I can count the number of times on one hand, with fingers left over) that he and I agree on something.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:04 pm

I think the Hunt may have been closer to the truth than people would like to admit.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:32 am

StayFrosty wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

I would imagine many of the people in the Appalachian Mountains would have a "No Trespassing" sign on their property. You don't mess with Mountain Men on their turf. You just don't.

Yes, I agree. They won't ask for your political affiliation, all you need be is a stranger. I think that Antifas believe that these 'soft' run ins they have in cities are the very best the US has to offer with regard to opposition.