Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 4:01 pm

I went to the eye doctor today. My prescription went up. I'm concerned that I didn't communicate right with the eye doctor and my new prescription will either be too strong and ruin my eyes, or too weak and not make any difference.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 4:12 pm

My prescription for nearsightedness used to go up. Then I got special glasses to work in front of the computer and it stabilized.

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:56 am

livingwithautism wrote:
I went to the eye doctor today. My prescription went up. I'm concerned that I didn't communicate right with the eye doctor and my new prescription will either be too strong and ruin my eyes, or too weak and not make any difference.

I'd either get in touch with them or get someone to for me to explain and see if you can have the test again. I used to really struggle because of the way they'd seem to give two options and ask which one is better when sometimes there isn't one that is :lol: it's only recently I have been able to say that neither is or I'm not sure and they let you look again.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:50 am

livingwithautism wrote:

So, your worries average out to the right prescription. That said, 90% of optometrists are, like most professionals, only smart enough for rote work. One day, I had been reading without glasses for a long wait, and I'm sure that affected my test. For years, my prescription went up steadily until I learned to spend a minute a day studying the horizon for a week before a test, and after that, I fixed myself whenever things got blurry.
Now that I'm old, my eyes don't change focus very much, so I do best with one eye for distance, and one for closer, but the recent prescription I got was set for full binocular vision for driving or reading, but they are useless for walking around looking for stuff or hunting mosquitoes. I discovered Zenni Optical, and now do my own eye tests, using reading glasses to modify a prescription by a known amount. I have three pair for different situations.
My left eye had always had the stronger lens for near sight, and then at age 27, I started using a helmet mirror for regular bicycling. That forced the left eye to specialize on distance, and I had a full range for the next two decades.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 1:45 pm

Lenscrafters charges a lot for their glasses but you can get an eye exam and not buy their glasses.
They have put some of that money back into automating eye exams which may help you get a better prescription.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm

Dear_one wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

So, your worries average out to the right prescription. That said, 90% of optometrists are, like most professionals, only smart enough for rote work. One day, I had been reading without glasses for a long wait, and I'm sure that affected my test. For years, my prescription went up steadily until I learned to spend a minute a day studying the horizon for a week before a test, and after that, I fixed myself whenever things got blurry.
Now that I'm old, my eyes don't change focus very much, so I do best with one eye for distance, and one for closer, but the recent prescription I got was set for full binocular vision for driving or reading, but they are useless for walking around looking for stuff or hunting mosquitoes. I discovered Zenni Optical, and now do my own eye tests, using reading glasses to modify a prescription by a known amount. I have three pair for different situations.
My left eye had always had the stronger lens for near sight, and then at age 27, I started using a helmet mirror for regular bicycling. That forced the left eye to specialize on distance, and I had a full range for the next two decades.

I go to ophthalmologists which are MDs.