Wanted to see 3Teeth but bad events in Austin made me leave

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 1:39 pm

I drove to Austin two days ago to see the band 3Teeth at a club. However, I ended up driving back home to where I live (Temple) after some stressful things happened.

Firstly, I tried to find a parking spot because this club didn’t have a parking lot and I would have to walk a good distance to get to it. I drove to a pay lot where I once parked before but it was relatively empty. A homeless guy stalked my car and I waited until he walked away but he came back when I went to a pay terminal but it wouldn’t take my card and the homeless guy told me parking on the streets was ok since it was Sunday. He pointed out spots to me but would then tell me that I couldn’t park there until he stopped on a red lined sidewalk and said it was ok to park there.

I got anxious about getting towed so I drove into a parking garage but the machine wouldn’t take my card at all. When I turned to exit, I accidentally bumped the front of my car into the base of the barrier arm and it made a sickening crunching sound. Surprisingly, my car only had a small dent but the sound was extremely loud.

When I got out, I tried to ask a passing couple for help. The girlfriend of the couple looked like she was willing to help but her boyfriend pulled her away and told her to keep going while scowling at me. I told them I just wanted help for parking but the boyfriend kept giving me signals to get lost. The homeless guy was also still around and was yelling at people. Stress got the better of me and I drove an hour back.

My stepfather hates Austin because it’s become “Californicated” and thinks Oklahoma City is the true music capital of the world but he only listens to country music so his world view is insular. Unfortunately, my bad experience made his voice appear in my mind as if he implanted a “See? Told you!” message in it. Someone on another forum claims he hates secularism and the Western world (Even though he cheerleads for Trump) and thinks America needs to become a theocracy and his words appeared in my mind after this incident. I also hated how I saw yet another “bad boy” with a girlfriend and she didn’t object to him pushing her around.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear about all that. Sucks you didn't get too the concert after driving all that way.

I drove up to Temple from Taylor a couple of months ago on my way back to Illinois after visiting friends.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Aug 2019, 2:02 pm

Sorry about your bad experience. I detest those big parking lots with boom gates, especially the huge multistorey ones at malls.

I guess the boyfriend misunderstood your intentions and perhaps just wanted to protect her from any possible trouble, e.g. if you had a hidden weapon.

I would also have felt uncomfortable about a homeless guy telling me it's better to park on a red line, and then hanging about. Even on a Sunday it's better not to take chances...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:29 pm

First, sorry about the whole thing :(

...but: your comment about your stepfather thinking Oklahoma City is "the true musical capital of the world" make me laugh so hard, that I had to google the issue...

Apparently, Austin, Texas ranges no6 in "Top 7 music cities in the world". As another lucky human being to live in a city featured in that top, cheers to you and the joke's on him :twisted:

SaveFerris
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Aug 2019, 2:47 pm

That sucks dude.

My mate & I once drove across country to see The Offspring , there was a crash on the motorway which led to a huge traffic jam/tailback. We got to the gig , ran into the hall to hear Dexter say 'Thank you & Goodnight' :(

I also missed seeing Lars & The Bastards because I was on an antipsychotic injection once a month , I asked the shrink if I could drink and he said one or two drinks would be fine. I had two bottles of beer but by the time I got the the train station my neck muscles had seized and my right ear was resting on my right shoulder and was stuck 8O - needless to say I didn't go to the gig ( paralysis wore off by the next morning ).

Me and a couple of mates drove to London to see Good Riddance , along the way I was shouting out the car window "Oi!" at passers by. We were pulled over by the police and they made up some bullshit story that I was shouting abuse and was arrested on a made up charge of 'drunk' . I missed the gig and my ride back home. I had to sleep rough that night and hitch hike home next day.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:57 pm

^
You live a very interesting life :lol:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:31 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Sorry to hear about all that. Sucks you didn't get too the concert after driving all that way.

I drove up to Temple from Taylor a couple of months ago on my way back to Illinois after visiting friends.

I wanted to hear some music I wish I could experience more instead of the boring country music that the people in my area drool over as well as give the middle finger to my stepfather’s worldview.

Did you stop in it or did you keep going?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 6:12 pm

Marknis wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I wanted to hear some music I wish I could experience more instead of the boring country music that the people in my area drool over as well as give the middle finger to my stepfather’s worldview.

Yeah, I've never been a big fan of country music, either. I just don't get it.

I just got on the interstate and drove up to Waco, at the exit where Bucky's is. I've never seen so many gas pumps in my life!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 9:42 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Marknis wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Yeah, I've never been a big fan of country music, either. I just don't get it.

I just got on the interstate and drove up to Waco, at the exit where Bucky's is. I've never seen so many gas pumps in my life!

To be fair, I like Hank Williams and Johnny Cash. But I absolutely can not stand Toby Keith and his ilk. I hate the corny sounding riffs as well as the intentionally anti-intellectual lyrics and shallow culture that is about as deep as a puddle.

My stepfather fanboyed about a picture of Ted Cruz buying a pack of beer from that very Bucky’s. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 10:28 pm

You’re going to have to try again.

Next time, it will be better.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 5:58 am

Marknis wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I'm curious of what "boring country music"is like. Exambles?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 6:27 am

Something like Garth Brooks.

Or Jim Reeves.

Nice stuff. But boring to some

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 12:54 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Marknis wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I'm curious of what "boring country music"is like. Exambles?

I generally find country music to be boring so I meant it as an adjective instead of a noun but I can give you a glaring example of why I can’t stand modern pop country music:

I would rather listen to this any time (Not the kind of music I was going to hear at the club but it’s much more interesting than any modern pop country song):

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:34 pm

I really expected better from Austin, especially socially. A detractor on another forum thinks if you aren’t a Christian, you have no morals, are rapacious, and engage in “decadent” behavior as well as have a nihilistic outlook. He also calls Western women “sluts” and says all men in America should go abroad to non-feminist countries to find wives. But despite having an Asian wife who he boasts about being better than any “Western slut”, he still lives in the US and loves Donald Trump. When I was scowled at by the “bad boy” with a girlfriend after asking for help, that idiot’s words came into my mind.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 1:33 pm

Sorry to read about this mess you had in Austin. It is not your fault this happened.