Loud cars should be banned! (Rant)

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 3:57 pm

I hate those racing-type cars with really loud engines, or any car with an unnecessarily loud engine. My boyfriend says that the owners of these cars deliberately make them loud by messing around with the exhaust or something. I think this is pathetic in my opinion, and it should be made illegal.

Where I live so many show-offs own these noisy, fast things, and they are what causes a lot of accidents on the roads. And almost every evening at work all I can hear is these loud cars revving and zooming. I work at a bus garage as well, and those cars can be heard over the bus engines. In fact I find the sound of buses less annoying, as it is more of a gentle sort of roar that doesn't distract me or hurt my ears. But these loud cars just annoy the f**k out of me, and they shake the whole planet as they roar down the road at 90mph.
I can hear one zoom down one road, goes quiet while slowing down to turn into another road, then I hear them zoom again, for another 5 or 6 times, sometimes even more. That means I can still hear the same one many streets away.

And I work evenings and nights, so these loud things must wake up the whole town. :roll:

Rant over.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:01 pm

Yes, those artificially loudened cars should fail their MOT tests. Legislators need to be paying attention to this issue, and boy racer clowns need to have their vehicles taken away until Mummy and Daddy pay to have their engines reduced to a volume acceptable to decent people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:04 pm

The current noise-abatement laws should be enforced. However, when it comes to motorcycles, I appreciate hearing them coming up behind me when I can't see them in my mirrors.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:05 pm

I support legislating the issue. My best friend always goes: there goes another one advertising a small penis...

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:15 pm

I usually scream at them “Go wrap it around a f!cking utility pole” when they “light it up.”

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:24 pm

I have an idiot like that living on my street. I hate when he races his stupid car down the street.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 1:48 pm

I :heart: fast cars & this thread depressed me. Not all sports car owners are like this. Realistically, at least most such cars are built for speed. Speeding in ordinary cars is WAY more dangerous. If you banned sports cars, there would only be more accidents. For that matter, people put loud exhausts on anything, so please don't single out the gearheads, because a lot of the people you're complaining about are mere idiots.

For what it's worth, I saw a tuned Golf R take the front off a big Toyota 4runner a while ago. I chewed that guy's ear off & wrote a police statement about him.

Most sports car folks share your opinion. Please just live & let live, maybe find out what this hobby is really about before condemning it for sometimes annoying you.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 1:56 pm

For that matter, banning the automotive aftermarket would waste a LOT of usable car parts. Ultimately, upgrading a car is about making it more functional. It's a right-to-repair thing partially, I'm not going to silence my car to please others because there actually are uses for extra power. There would be no point in installing a second factory muffler, I'll get better MPG & more power doing otherwise.

Your thread says you're anti-noise pollution but I see it as anti-recycling.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 2:09 pm

Nobody here asked for sports cars or modifications to be banned :?

The majority of modifications people make on their cars don't involve violating exhaust noise laws.

If you respect the above and speeding laws, this thread is NOT about you.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 8:45 pm

They're the reason I started wearing earplugs in public. The loud cars and loud motorcycles. You know the loud motorcycle people do it on purpose when you're walking by on the sidewalk and they slam down their throttle when they're going by you and then let off the throttle after they're ahead of you.

This sums it up for me:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 9:15 pm

Re the motorbike scabs, I don't know why they think people think they're cool, or that they're gangsters; whenever I see or hear those sorts of morons, I just think, "what a brain-dead - maybe the pro-choicers are right after all".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 9:35 pm

Sorry whiners, I'll keep my straight pipe. Some people prefer to drive with music on, I prefer the sound of my engine. A loud car is a proud car. :heart:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 2:04 am

I was hoping this wouldn't offend anyone, but it did. :roll:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 3:45 am

Bikes and small, low cars both tend to be ignored by other drivers. There's a safety benefit to letting people know where you are.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 9:40 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Bikes and small, low cars both tend to be ignored by other drivers. There's a safety benefit to letting people know where you are.

As a collector of some vintage cars, I am on the side of those that prefer stock exhaust systems. There is no real need to put a huge exhaust pipe (4 inches or above) on unless it is designed to be at the track only. There is a difference between a healthy factory growl of an American muscle car/European sports car and one that was modified to be as loud as it can. Also one does not need to go around needlessly zooming the engine to get attention. Trust me, you will get plenty of attention just being in an older car that is uncommon to come across on the road. Mine are used to do cruises, not to race others on the street. All of my cars retain the stock exhaust systems and are in tune when I drive them. If you want the car hobby to continue, one has to be respectful of others or the laws will change against you.

Personally, I hate “fart pipes” on Japanese cars, as they seem to be the worst offenders for noise rules. Those are basically huge mufflers that are put on to make the car sound if it is ripping a good one while driving. I have seen police enforce noise laws on them and fully support that action when warranted.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 3:22 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

As a collector of some vintage cars, I am on the side of those that prefer stock exhaust systems. There is no real need to put a huge exhaust pipe (4 inches or above) on unless it is designed to be at the track only. There is a difference between a healthy factory growl of an American muscle car/European sports car and one that was modified to be as loud as it can. Also one does not need to go around needlessly zooming the engine to get attention. Trust me, you will get plenty of attention just being in an older car that is uncommon to come across on the road. Mine are used to do cruises, not to race others on the street. All of my cars retain the stock exhaust systems and are in tune when I drive them. If you want the car hobby to continue, one has to be respectful of others or the laws will change against you.

Personally, I hate “fart pipes” on Japanese cars, as they seem to be the worst offenders for noise rules. Those are basically huge mufflers that are put on to make the car sound if it is ripping a good one while driving. I have seen police enforce noise laws on them and fully support that action when warranted.

I'm not a fan of fart cans or over massively oversized exhausts on NA engine. A single great big 3 or 4 inch pipe might make sense on a big single turbo engine, because they'll reduce back pressure but turbos make things quieter anyways. Typically an NA engine requires a big of back pressure for scavenging exhaust gases, bigger isn't inherently better.

Loud is relative, modified cars should be held to the same standards bikes are. That's still loud but with an upper limit. Bikes are typically held to a different (more lax) standard than cars are (from the factory), I've got no problem allowing hot rods and bikes to be louder than an unmodified factory stock car. There's simply not that many of them out there to make a huge difference and strictly enforcing limits amounts to a huge waste of police manpower that could be better invested dealing with actual concerns.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う