Toothless - need blender or dentures?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Aug 2019, 4:46 pm

I'm content without teeth but it's wrecking my diet - can't chew veg. I'm serious. Must do something - but I can't decide between a blender and dentures. A dentist once told me I would never be able to wear dentures - too sensitive. But maybe I should try? Do you have dentures, how do they feel, do they work? Do they fall out a lot? Do I have to spend lots of time a.m. and p.m. cleaning them up? (I have a dental insce policy so that part's ok.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 6:39 pm

I am toothless myself. There are denture adhesive creams, powders, and strips. I have top dentures and they are uncomfortable and the powder is a pain to clean out every night. They do make my face look a lot better.

I do think autistic sensory sensitivity could be a problem. I would go for another opinion however

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm

There are three choices.

(A) Nothing (ie a "blender:),

(B)Dentures.

(B) Implants

The first is the cheapest, the second is expensive, the third is even MORE expensive. Ya get what you pay for, and ya pay for what ya get. Implants are a permanent solution (no pulling out dentures to clean them),and the blender is the least convenient and least asthetic solution. With dentures in between.

Implants are like little pillars they put into drilled holes in your mouth that act like artificial tooth roots. And on top of them they place the crowns (artificial teeth). And once you heal up and its like you have real teeth again.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Aug 2019, 7:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am toothless myself. There are denture adhesive creams, powders, and strips. I have top dentures and they are uncomfortable and the powder is a pain to clean out every night. They do make my face look a lot better.

I do think autistic sensory sensitivity could be a problem. I would go for another opinion however

Thanks. I'm particularly worried about sensory sensitivity. And you say yours are uncomfortable and a pain. Good to hear it. I'll keep hunting.

The thing is, even if I could eat, I couldn't smile at anybody, which does not go over well. This is a time in my life when I would like to smile at people but it kind of horrifies them. :P

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Aug 2019, 7:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There are three choices.

(A) Nothing (ie a "blender:),

(B)Dentures.

(B) Implants

The first is the cheapest, the second is expensive, the third is even MORE expensive. Ya get what you pay for, and ya pay for what ya get. Implants are a permanent solution (no pulling out dentures to clean them),and the blender is the least convenient and least asthetic solution. With dentures in between.

Implants are like little pillars they put into drilled holes in your mouth that act like artificial tooth roots. And on top of them they place the crowns (artificial teeth). And once you heal up and its like you have real teeth again.

Thank you, but that's a restatement of the problem. I should have said that I've been googling this for a long time. Implants are out of the question, costing thousands of dollars.

Maybe I'm asking if dentures are so awful that I won't wear them, which will be money spent on nothing.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 7:40 pm

I must be getting old. When the OP said "blender" I thought they meant either putting a small blender inside their mouth or that it was the name of a dental appliance I've never heard of before. :lol:

I hope I never lose my teeth. :(

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 7:48 pm

My partner would eat grilled steak that was chopped up with a food processor. Dentures would break before we did this.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 7:05 am

I drink green vegetable juice in lieu of eating vegetables. A vegetable and fruit combo thart has a mild taste. V8 healthy greens juice is good.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 1:18 pm

I once knew a woman who hardly ever wore dentures because she took medication that made her mouth dry, and she said wearing them would make her gag. The only time I remember her wearing false teeth was so that she could smile to have her picture taken.

But she would eat just about anything with just her gums. Like a solid chocolate rabbit she got for Easter. She'd just gnaw away at it. It was amazing and kind of gross at the same time.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 1:32 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I'm content without teeth but it's wrecking my diet - can't chew veg. I'm serious. Must do something - but I can't decide between a blender and dentures. A dentist once told me I would never be able to wear dentures - too sensitive. But maybe I should try? Do you have dentures, how do they feel, do they work? Do they fall out a lot? Do I have to spend lots of time a.m. and p.m. cleaning them up? (I have a dental insce policy so that part's ok.)

Ummm. Dentures will fit in your mouth better then a blender will....

I was asked if I want dentures as I have a few back teeth missing, but there are two reasons why I can't have them. One is that I can't aford them. (I hardly have any yearly income), and the second is that I panic with yhings in my mouth. I would find them so claustrophobic.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 2:44 pm

My diet rarely has veggies that are harder to eat than shredded lettuce. I used to eat raw carrots but that was a long time ago. Tenderloin is a popular steak to eat if you have dentures but it is expensive. That is why you see it on the menu at fancy restaurants.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2019, 4:18 pm

The dentures are not that expensive. Give them a try, you will expect an adjustment period but if you can handle it, all the better for you.