Do you work at a so-called "Bullshit" job?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

blackomen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2009
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 220
Location: Former Californian in Dallas

22 Aug 2019, 9:03 am

https://strikemag.org/bullshit-jobs/

Don't agree with it 100% but it seems he's onto something. Hopefully the next recession will eliminate some of these when businesses are forced to cut costs to stay alive, freeing these people to work on more productive pursuits or to enjoy life if they already have a lot of money.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,806
Location: Stendec

22 Aug 2019, 9:44 am

The basically useless "professionals" include, but are not limited to: art critics, astrologers, bloggers, business executives, car valets, cat psychologists, chiropractors, commentators, dog-washers, elevator operators, fashion designers, hairdressers, life coaches, mall Santas, management consultants, motivational speakers, personnel officers, psychics, public relations executives, restroom attendants, security guards, sign-spinners, social-media influencers, sportscasters, technical support analysts, telemarketers, telephone sanitizers, toll booth attendants, and those people who hand out free samples of food in big-box stores.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2017
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,426
Location: UK

22 Aug 2019, 9:58 am

Just a few come to mind...

Vloggers, bloggers, professional video-gamers, professional celebrities (famous for being famous, but without actually doing anything) and members of think-tanks.


_________________
Steve J

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,813

22 Aug 2019, 10:36 am

I can't see what's behind the link; the antivirus system in my computer isn't letting me open it.

Fnord wrote:
The basically useless "professionals" include, but are not limited to: art critics, astrologers, bloggers, business executives, car valets, cat psychologists, chiropractors, commentators, dog-washers, elevator operators, fashion designers, hairdressers, life coaches, mall Santas, management consultants, motivational speakers, personnel officers, psychics, public relations executives, restroom attendants, security guards, sign-spinners, social-media influencers, sportscasters, technical support analysts, telemarketers, telephone sanitizers, toll booth attendants, and those people who hand out free samples of food in big-box stores.


I more or less agree with the others, but how are security guards useless?



BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,076

22 Aug 2019, 10:45 am

Oh man, I wonder if I'm too old to start a brilliant career as a "cat psychologist" :lmao:


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,049

22 Aug 2019, 10:58 am

Licensed clinical social worker Jeanne Courtney told me that the insurance paid her 75 hour to do around talking

Sixty one hours, she, did not tell me a single original statement

f**k Jeanne Courtney b***h

But it is not just Jeanne

"Actions speak louder than words"

She didn't know:

"Mad" versus angry

Neuroplasticity

Major five personality traits

Transcranial magnetic stimulation



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,806
Location: Stendec

22 Aug 2019, 11:52 am

Fireblossom wrote:
I can't see what's behind the link; the antivirus system in my computer isn't letting me open it.
Fnord wrote:
The basically useless "professionals" include, but are not limited to: art critics, astrologers, bloggers, business executives, car valets, cat psychologists, chiropractors, commentators, dog-washers, elevator operators, fashion designers, hairdressers, life coaches, mall Santas, management consultants, motivational speakers, personnel officers, psychics, public relations executives, restroom attendants, security guards, sign-spinners, social-media influencers, sportscasters, technical support analysts, telemarketers, telephone sanitizers, toll booth attendants, and those people who hand out free samples of food in big-box stores.
I more or less agree with the others, but how are security guards useless?
Sorry ... personal prejudice. I had to dismiss a security guard recently because he was using the CCTV system to 'stalk' some of my female employees.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Oct 2017
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 745
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2019, 10:38 pm

Personally, I'm quite glad there are people out there who will design clothes for me and cut my hair.
They're not exactly essential to the survival of the sepecies, I agree, but then nor am I and I'm an Engineer.



LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 11 Jul 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 146
Location: Deep South U.S.A.

23 Aug 2019, 9:11 pm

I'm an airport porter...it's a pretty bullshit job. The company I work for is known for hiring people from vocational rehab and giving them no raises, promotions, or benefits.



SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 804

23 Aug 2019, 11:04 pm

I didn't, but now I do. My team had people like me who created efficiencies, then management changed and most those folks went away and now I am told to put aside the "non-revenue impacting" work and work "harder". I tried explaining how the wheel I was working on would do more for the company than pushing harder on the square blocks they insist on using, but the reward system is based on number of sides and that block has four going over and over, and they see the circle with no sides rather than an infinite number. They boost about working weekends or long hours. Uh, because you can't get your job done otherwise? And of course the offending hierarchy relegated me to the bottom rank (and I suspect they are paid near 50% more than me).

Not that I am bitter or anything.



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,049

25 Aug 2019, 6:31 pm

Food server and actor


Although maybe "bullshit" jobs are good for the economy


Because the only jobs I qualify for are bullshit jobs



blackomen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2009
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 220
Location: Former Californian in Dallas

25 Aug 2019, 10:15 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Food server and actor


Although maybe "bullshit" jobs are good for the economy


Because the only jobs I qualify for are bullshit jobs


I'm too lazy to cook and eat out often so food service definitely is not a BS job.

What kind of acting do you do? I'd say only extras are a BS acting job.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,806
Location: Stendec

26 Aug 2019, 7:54 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Personally, I'm quite glad there are people out there who will design clothes for me...
Sure, it's one thing to design clothing that is both functional and flattering; but it's quite another to design "fashions" that look like someone got dressed in the dark at a thrift store during a hurricane while drunk.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 804

26 Aug 2019, 8:20 am

blackomen wrote:
I'd say only extras are a BS acting job.


I took the article to mean a BS job was one rejecting efficiencies. Teasing: So are you suggesting CGI in place of human extras or that it might be otherwise more efficient? True, most extras have to stand around for a whole bunch of hours. Very inefficient.



Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 24 Jan 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,340
Location: The Vile Belt

26 Aug 2019, 5:57 pm

I work at a library and it is indeed a bullshit job. It’s loud, smells horrible sometimes because the homeless sometimes s**t or piss all over the floor, constant drama goes on amongst the staff, and the majority of patrons just want to check out videos or look up porn on the public computers. It’s not an oasis for intellectuals but a dumping ground for the worst in the culture I live in.