Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 7:26 pm

Now this is a tough one.

Over the years, it has been a gradual downward spiral in regards to the work I can do and the number of hours I can manage in a day or a week. What I am saying is that I don't think that I can continue in future years in my current profession, and this for me is much, much easier then taking on any other part time job.
So what can I practically do? Phoning jobs are out of the question.
I do have something may be able to do, but to do it requires going self employed so I'd need an accountant, and the costs of that are more then what I would make in earnings, as it may work out at about £2 per hour, but I actually would enjoy doing it if I have no deadlines to meet and avoid phoning or dealing with the public. It would likely cost more then I earn, but it would be fun. But if it caught on, and I could raize prices, maybe £5 per hour would be viable. One is not subject to minimum wage regulations being self employed, so it may work. I could earn £20 to £30 a day which is better then £0 a day!
What has put me off is i can't do online self assessment forms. I have looked. They are so complicated. I would have to have an accountant. They used to have taxmen in an office that one could visit. When they stopped them, for me the self employed option was not an option, as those taxmen would fill the forms for me. (I did once try to be self employed but I think I only earned about £100 for the whole year and spent more then that out in costs!)

I am, however, considering possibilities. Making them viable is the hard part. Well. I can dream! :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 1:23 pm

What about fixing bikes? Or fixing other things?

Are you on some sort of "Benefits?" Maybe do these things on the side---when you feel able to do them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 1:37 pm

Is the working on bikes I am struggling with, and I've done this as job on and off since I was 18.. Other jobs would be even more stressful.
At the moment I can't think about it.

To clim benefits I would have to go to the jobcentre. Have been too petrified to do so for about 7 or 8 years now. I couldn't face it as it is all about form filling, phonecall interview which is 30 minutes long, and all about trying to find work... And I was told it was the same to claim other benefits.
I just have not been able to do it. I mentally hit a wall if I try these days. I hit this thing and got panicky when I tried to look for a job online! I don't know what is wrong with me these days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 2:11 pm

I wish you could find somebody to help you with these things.

If I were in Wales, maybe I would try to help you.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 2:14 pm

I used to be able to tackle many things. My Mum says "Mid life crises" (What I am getting in general. I don't think she thinks I have asperges. But I am sure that she has if I have! :P )

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2019, 9:03 am

I do know some people in Wales who are more impacted by their autism and are on a jobcenter benefit where they are not expected to apply for jobs. From what they've said they can do a little bit of small jobs while on the benefit. There are also some people who are expected to do some job searching, but for only a part time job, rather a full time job which is what the jobcenter would require in the UK for an able bodied person.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 12:23 pm

aeonon wrote:
I do know some people in Wales who are more impacted by their autism and are on a jobcenter benefit where they are not expected to apply for jobs. From what they've said they can do a little bit of small jobs while on the benefit. There are also some people who are expected to do some job searching, but for only a part time job, rather a full time job which is what the jobcenter would require in the UK for an able bodied person.

At the moment I am too fragile to attempt this. I have been a bit petrified to go in to sign on for a number of years now. At this moment of time, I am too fragile to attempt part time work or even think of applying for jobs. I was so relieved the other day when my 4 hours a day every other day type of job came to an end. I know the work insideout and it was a temporary position. I may need a few months to recover before I am ready to do this again. Due to the stress of not being able to shut off to sleep at night, as it takes me a few days at least after the last time I worked to sleep probperly, and as I did the job foe over a month, I need a few months of recovery. I know this as the last two temporary jobs in the same place (Christmas and summer) I needed it, and at the moment I have ended up in a far worse state then I was before after these few weeks of work.

Now the good news is that there maybe help as for the first time ever, I walked into a place where I was able to talk to someone who understands what I am going through and all going well, and I was able to open up! I have never been able to do that before. Part of the reason is I tend to clam up when I am at certain places like if I see my doctor. If I pick a different subject, I can talk! The other issue is that until I started to learn aout myself with the aid of many tallented people here, I would not have a clue how to go about even describing the symptoms. Let alone try to understand my own feelings!
You can imagine being on whag seems like a gradual spiral of decline, knowing something is wrong but not having a aay to communicate it in a way that anyone understands when I myself was barking up the wrong avenues assuming what I had was related to allergies which I could never trace.. The bits of information I did share were so limited that doctors had to guess....

I am soo relieved to have an idea what is going on... And now there is hope. There is tremendous hope!
At the moment I don't know for sure what will happen, so I do not want to say more, except to say that I am soo relieved I have been able to open up to people who are such a blessing... I feel my eyes watery!