Some days you’re hungrier than others

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 10:30 am

Some days you’re hungrier than others , or at least you can’t control your impulse to eat quite as well. Yesterday was one of those days .

It’s reckoned I’m losing weight, but I’m not consciously dieting . Just trying to eat healthier lunches. Have slipped up last few weeks in buying raisin bread . It’s not so much the raisin bread but the spread that goes on it .
I think I may have to cut it out.

The emphasis is on ‘healthier’ rather than totally healthy . Truth is I’m stumped when it comes to buying really healthy choices

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 11:28 am

Certainly true for me too - and I even find that I get into some mental states where I don't even register that I'm hungry.

I have argued with GPs about this on a few occasions. I just can't get across to them that their advice for improving my health is advice that is very hard to make work unless I have some kind of support with my executive functioning problems and sensory/social difficulties with shopping and preparing meals. I read enough science articles that I have more than enough information about what a better diet would look like - but that's completely moot when I'm barely aware of the need to eat, or ruin my dinner yet again because I zoned-out half way through preparing it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 11:53 am

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ckyZPlCVKj

See page 49 . I struggle with knowing when I'm full up and when I need to drink .

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 5:44 pm

Some days you are hungrier than others

Some days your appetite is higher than others

Some days your metabolism is higher than others

Raisins are a fruit , with fiber. But raisin bread contains 17 grams sugar each slice. (Some brands). Kit Kat is just 21 grams sugar.

The food pyramid changes every couple of years

Nothing is completely healthful

Justin101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2019, 6:29 am

I don't know why people fixate on food so much when it comes to dieting. They seem to forget the role of metabolism and exercise. There's a reason you could eat as much shite you liked as a teenager but still be in good shape (well, within reason). If you have a high metabolism and/or exercise a lot you can eat what you want without obsessing about calories.

It's also not so much about fat/sugar but rather TYPES of fat/sugar. I eat more fat than my obese cousin yet I'm lean because the fat is in avocados and fish. The sugar you get in fruit is better than refined kinds dumped into confectionary. As a rule of thumb, ask how many machines a food has been through since it's original source. The more processing, the worse it is. And the link to cancerous free radicals is also noteworthy.

The variability in appetite is linked to exercise levels, what you ate previously, and natural rhythms. In rare cases it is due to malignant health disorders, however.