China one step closer to harnessing clean, limitless energy

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 3:47 pm

China got about a minute of plasma H-mode, whereas we get even more evidence that we have bird-brains for congressmen/congresswomen in the US who've decided fusion isn't important.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... ear-fusion

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 7:22 am

Cold fusion.

Its now "just around the corner"

Just like it already has been "just around the corner" for the last seventy years.

And will continue to be just around the corner for the next 70 years. Lol!

That's what they always say.

But who really knows? China seems to be investing whole hog into this with a certain desperation. And if I were China I might do the same- invest in this on a bigger scale than other nations have- because of China's more desperate future needs. And when a nation that size does that it may bare fruit after all.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 7:56 pm

They did give it a click-baity title.

Also ty for sharing your feelings.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2019, 5:37 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
China got about a minute of plasma H-mode, whereas we get even more evidence that we have bird-brains for congressmen/congresswomen in the US who've decided fusion isn't important.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... ear-fusion

If it's any condolence, there is an element of propaganda in this article. The US is spending less on fusion in real terms than it was in the 80s and early 90s, but more than it was in the late 90s or 00s. I don't have access to the Chinese data so can't compare, but the rest of the world is still trying for the moonshot.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 6:34 am

The_Walrus wrote:
If it's any condolence, there is an element of propaganda in this article. The US is spending less on fusion in real terms than it was in the 80s and early 90s, but more than it was in the late 90s or 00s. I don't have access to the Chinese data so can't compare, but the rest of the world is still trying for the moonshot.

Wasn't there news not too long ago that Japan held a plasma reaction for about 90 seconds but just not in the same state? If so the claim that they held a 60 second reaction in a more stable state just sounds like incremental progress.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 7:10 am

Seems to me that these days the American Taxpayer only wants to fund "sure things," not risky Science Projects.