Autistic touchy feely 5 year old punished for sexual harrass

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 3:09 am

Family of 5-year-old with autism says he was punished for hugging at East Ridge Elementary

Quote:
One family says their 5-year-old son with autism is being punished for giving his classmate a hug. East Ridge Elementary leaders say the boy overstepped his boundaries. But, his family says the whole thing is a big misunderstanding.

Nathan is a 5-year-old boy kindergartner at East Ridge Elementary. The principal says the school staff has talked with him several times. His guardian says the school has filed a report with the state.

Summery Putnam, Nathan's guardian, says she received a call from her son's teacher at East Ridge Elementary about three weeks ago.

"I was sick to my stomach," Putnam said. "The teacher called me and she said, 'You need to have a talk with Nathan about boundaries.'"

Putnam says Nathan has autism, which she says can make it difficult for him to understand social cues. "If you don't understand how autism works, you'll think he's acting out or being difficult," Putnam said. "But, that's not the situation." Putnam says the teacher said Nathan was overstepping boundaries. She says the teacher accused her son of sexual activities after she was told he hugged a child and kissed another child on the cheek.

"What do you do when a 5 year child is being labeled a sexual predator and accused of sexual harassment by the school system? It was disclosed that it will go in his record for the rest of his life that he is a sex offender. This child is austic, he comprehends and functions very different than your typical 5 year. What do you do? Who do you turn to for help when the school will not even listen to the child’s doctor when he explains the child’s difficulties in his comprehension of simple things such as boundaries."

Tim Hensley, a spokesperson for the Hamilton County Department of Education, released this statement:

"School personnel are required to concerns regarding children to the Department of Child Services (DCS). It's up to DCS to determine if those reports are acted on by DCS and what form those actions may take.

Putnam says her son has now switched classrooms and teachers. He is enrolled in special education services.

As my signature says "The lunatics have taken over the asylum".

A 5 year old hugging and kissing another child ON THE CHEEK is not only not sexual harassment it is not atypical behavior. I wounder about the dirty minds of the teacher and the school system not a 5 year old who is 7 years away from puberty.

ASSUMING the child is a serial hugger the doctors ought to stop looking at it as a totally behavioral issue and look at hypo sensitivity

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 4:53 am

1984, Brave New World, Ferenhight 451. They wanted that type of world so much. Now we're seeing it taking shape.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:21 am

Whoa... I could understand if he was 15, but 5? Seriously?

Sure, they're right about the thing that the kid needs to be taught about boundaries, repeatedly until he gets it, but this goes too far. If he scares the other kids or something with being so touchy, just keeping an eye on him and stopping him every time he tries to get too touchy should work. As long as the kid isn't really badly mentally challenged, he'd get it eventually.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:31 am

Even "normal" five-year-olds could be affectionate like that.

Too much friggin' PC!! !! !!

I believe people must start using their common sense again. Common sense is going out the window these days. Just for some political agenda.

Moretto
Raven
Raven

Location: 01 Oakes Vetoh Lemala, Zeydin Seetznin, Hanow, Cassonie

24 Sep 2019, 10:45 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Whoa... I could understand if he was 15, but 5? Seriously?

Sure, they're right about the thing that the kid needs to be taught about boundaries, repeatedly until he gets it, but this goes too far. If he scares the other kids or something with being so touchy, just keeping an eye on him and stopping him every time he tries to get too touchy should work. As long as the kid isn't really badly mentally challenged, he'd get it eventually.

Agree.

I think they just don't like children. Clearly they don't understand them at all, keep this up and he'll grow up learning affection is bad and not wanting anything to do with anyone. Sometimes I think something similar happened to me.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive." - Baldwin

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 11:04 am

Maybe they just are not starting sex education early enough? How can you have intent on committing sexual harrassment without knowing what sex is? I bet the kids wouldn't have done this if education on what sex is started as soon as he was out of diapers.

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2019, 11:10 am

That's insane. I wonder if they would have seen it as inappropriate if he wasn't autistic? Unfortunately just the knowledge that a kid has something could lead to them punishing him/her even if a normie kid wouldn't have been, just because that (in this case boundaries) is something the "special" kid can have a problem with while the normie is just mischievous or maybe even just social and sweet in this scenario.

In daycare I saw a kid return after a day away, and walk up to another kid, hug them and say "you're my best friend". That was a "normal" kid, and no one reacted in any way. Of course this was back in the 90's, so maybe things are less relaxed now.

A 5 year old hugging a peer is not sexual harassment.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 12:07 pm

I bet if he was a girl, they would not have arrested him. I was kissing and hugging other kids and touching them. No one has ever called the cops on me and had me arrested.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 2:03 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
Maybe they just are not starting sex education early enough? How can you have intent on committing sexual harrassment without knowing what sex is? I bet the kids wouldn't have done this if education on what sex is started as soon as he was out of diapers.

Most every hug or kiss on the cheek is not sexual but affectionate especially for 5 year olds.

This is going to give #MeToo a really bad name.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 2:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Most every hug or kiss on the cheek is not sexual but affectionate especially for 5 year olds.

This is going to give #MeToo a really bad name.

I was joking when I said that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 2:10 pm

So let's get this straight. This child is punished for hugging someone, but Nick007's adult neighbour can scream at his ten year old daughter and call her a "little bitcch" without incident.

This world is messed.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 3:01 pm

A five year old????

Please tell me this story is a joke.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 3:36 pm

Placing a little kid who obviously didn't knew any better in police custody is just crazy. :evil:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 3:55 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Placing a little kid who obviously didn't knew any better in police custody is just crazy. :evil:

Yeah that kid is going to be mentally scarred for life.

Surely if a 5 year old gets a little carried away with touchy/feely stuff, there are better ways to teach them boundaries then arresting them and trying to charge them for a crime they don't even have the mental capacity to really understand.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 4:03 pm

I am wondering when a new show will be coming out about a new Scared straight: Daycare Edition.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Sep 2019, 6:13 pm

I do think the kid needs to learn about boundaries because if he hugs & kisses the wrong person, he could get physically hurt/beat up. I was hurt & beat up a lot by bullies as early as kindergarten just for being awkward even thou I never touched anyone unless they touched me. I'd imagine that getting beat up a few times would make someone not want to touch others. I'm NOT saying that this kid deserves to be hurt or anything for touching others like that, what I'm saying is that he likely wouldn't keep doing it for too much longer so I don't get why the skewl is acting like he's some predator who should know better before he started skewl. I also think that if he was in a public skewl, the skewl could be trying to push him out cuz the skewl doesn't wanna deal with a kid who has issues like autism. This kid may be much better off at a skewl for special needs kids. I know I did alot better at a skewl for dyslexia than the other skewls I went to.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition