Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 6:11 am

I've put this topic in this forum because I think they're a condition all of their own.

I went for this flu jab today. The pharmacist even insisted that I tell him my doctor and her name, even though on the form it clearly said it was optional whether to volunteer this information. He read out this guideline to me about egg allergies and this company. I had had a flu jab at that practice last year, and as it clearly says on the NHS website and lots of other pharma websites, it says very few people are unable to have the vaccine, even if they have egg allergies, and should not have it if they have had a reaction to the vaccine in the past. I have not had a reaction to it at all in the past and told him this. He should have followed those guidelines.

I mean seriously, what drives jobsworths?!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:20 am

I made an appointment to have my PCP give me my flu shot.

It could be the "uncanny valley effect" in which the way you socialize triggers the person you are talking to. You aren't "normal enough" and it triggers an adverse reaction.

I used to get this a lot in the past but have improved my appearance and social skills so it doesn't happen. 8O
There is the thinking by some on the spectrum that this shouldn't matter but in practice it does for me.

It could also be that the pharmacist doesn't like giving flu shots but has to in order to keep his job.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:33 am

Most likely it is a new policy that employees giving flu jabs must fully inform each recipient of all the hazards, so as to avoid future litigation based on the claim that "they should have told me that this could happen".

The part about needing the name of the physician? I dunno; maybe to add his/her name to a mail or robocall list ... ?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:57 am

Fnord wrote:
Most likely it is a new policy that employees giving flu jabs must fully inform each recipient of all the hazards, so as to avoid future litigation based on the claim that "they should have told me that this could happen".

The part about needing the name of the physician? I dunno; maybe to add his/her name to a mail or robocall list ... ?

Interestingly enough, when I went for the flu jab last year in the same pharmacy, the other pharmacist did go through a long list of all the things to expect, he was extremely thorough.

The one today even said to me, "You don't want me to get into any trouble do you?"

Maybe he had got into trouble before?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 10:01 am

smudge wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Most likely it is a new policy that employees giving flu jabs must fully inform each recipient of all the hazards, so as to avoid future litigation based on the claim that "they should have told me that this could happen". The part about needing the name of the physician? I dunno; maybe to add his/her name to a mail or robocall list ... ?
Interestingly enough, when I went for the flu jab last year in the same pharmacy, the other pharmacist did go through a long list of all the things to expect, he was extremely thorough. The one today even said to me, "You don't want me to get into any trouble do you?" Maybe he had got into trouble before?
Maybe ... or someone else did ... or the employer told everyone, "Read this list to the customer or get sacked."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 10:59 am

BTDT wrote:
I made an appointment to have my PCP give me my flu shot.

It could be the "uncanny valley effect" in which the way you socialize triggers the person you are talking to. You aren't "normal enough" and it triggers an adverse reaction.

I used to get this a lot in the past but have improved my appearance and social skills so it doesn't happen. 8O
There is the thinking by some on the spectrum that this shouldn't matter but in practice it does for me.

It could also be that the pharmacist doesn't like giving flu shots but has to in order to keep his job.

Unless I'm upset about something, I can usually pull off "NT" very well and interact well with people.

Appearance, well, as long as your hair is tidy and even if you dress like the local chavs, you'll be accepted, lol. I don't really hear the term "chav" these days...maybe there's another name for them now. I was described as dressing cool the other day, but I feel like I dress like a slob. I wear smart casual clothes currently with one of those long cardigans. It feels lazy to me. I still seem to be respected for it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 11:16 am

smudge wrote:

The one today even said to me, "You don't want me to get into any trouble do you?"

emotional manipulation

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 11:39 am

Gah, I missed out a major point in my OP - he refused to give me the vaccine.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 11:40 am

SaveFerris wrote:
smudge wrote:

emotional manipulation

Quite possibly. He wasn't easy going.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 1:19 pm

smudge wrote:
Gah, I missed out a major point in my OP - he refused to give me the vaccine.

Sooo...was he wrong to do it?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 1:27 pm

First time I've heard of someone being refused a flu shot.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 12:29 am

Why was the flu shot refused? That's strange.

I get it at my doctor's clinic every year. I have asthma so I get it for free. They've never refused to give me the shot.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 5:26 pm

I'd be annoyed too but then I would just go to another pharmacy if the first one refused. Usually I am pretty good at bargaining with healthcare professionals though.