Page 1 of 11 [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 3:55 am

Quote:
World's most powerful greenhouse gas on the rise 'due to green energyboom'

The most powerful known greenhouse gas has been leaking into the Earth's atmosphere due to the green energy boom, it was reported on Friday night.

Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents.

It is 23,500 times more warming than carbon dioxide (CO2), and just one kilogram warms the Earth as much as 24 people flying London to New York return.

The drive to use mixed sources of power, including wind, solar and gas, rather than coal as fuel has resulted in a rise in the number of electrical devices that use SF6, the BBC said.

A study from the University of Cardiff found that across all transmission and distribution networks, the amount used was increasing by 30-40 tonnes per year.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... ergy-boom/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 4:56 am

So green energy is actually causing more harm to the climate. Back to the drawing board.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 9:14 am

https://www.science20.com/robert_walker ... ons-241769

"It's only 0.11% of UK greenhouse gas emissions and there are replacements already in use industrially as we ramp down to zero emissions by 2050.

This is a known problem, the technology to solve it has been in development since 2016 and in commercial use since 2016. Although it's only a fraction of a percent of emissions, it is important for the future as we ramp down to zero emissions. There is nothing here to be scared of, and we can still use renewables. This is another click bait article by the BBC that’s being shared widely on twitter today"

The 'Telegraph' isn't always a Best Source for Fair and Balanced Science or even 'BBC' 'Click Bait' Articles..:)

Always Check a Second and Third and Even Fourth Science Source too for Fair and Balanced Science too..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Shrinks Are Treating Climate-Traumatized Kids For “Eco-Anxiety”
“The fear is of environmental doom — that we’re all going to die.”

Climate Panic

At least partially to blame — for better or for worse — are the increasingly vocal activists rallying the public against climate change.

“Adults keep saying, we owe it to the young people to give them hope,” Thunberg said during a speech at last year’s global school strike against climate change. “But I don’t want your hope, I don’t want you to be hopeful, I want you to panic.”

We don’t yet have exact numbers of how many people feel overwhelmed by eco-anxiety. The phenomenon has also not yet officially been classified as a mental illness, since its cause is “rational,” according to CPA members. https://futurism.com/neoscope/climate-c ... -treatment

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 5:27 am

I've heard about this too... not too long ago, there was an article on a news paper by a school nurse about how even first graders are losing sleep because the climate change talk scares them. Some kids also call others murderers and planet destroyers because they eat meat.

Climate change is real and something must be done, but some people are going way overboard.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2019, 5:56 am

That's the problem with the Imminent Doom Scenarios - giving nightmares to sensitive children but not making adults make better choices.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 9:51 am

There was nobody to treat us baby boom kids for nuclear war annihilation anxiety :( .

I do think it had an effect. I do think in part it was the reason for all the potheads, stoners etc back then. On a number of occasions I heard reckless behavior justified because who gives a s**t the world is going to end anyways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Melt_with_You

Quote:
The song depicts a couple making love while an atomic bomb is dropped

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 10:01 am

So all of the media hype is eventually making "shrinks" wealthy.

Climate change is a real problem, but the media is recklessly hyping the situation past the point of a simple call to action.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2019, 3:08 pm

aghogday wrote:
https://www.science20.com/robert_walker/bbcs_dirty_secret_sf6_gas_for_electrical_insulation_sf6_is_only_011_of_uks_greenhouse_emissions-241769

"It's only 0.11% of UK greenhouse gas emissions and there are replacements already in use industrially as we ramp down to zero emissions by 2050.

This is a known problem, the technology to solve it has been in development since 2016 and in commercial use since 2016. Although it's only a fraction of a percent of emissions, it is important for the future as we ramp down to zero emissions. There is nothing here to be scared of, and we can still use renewables. This is another click bait article by the BBC that’s being shared widely on twitter today"

The 'Telegraph' isn't always a Best Source for Fair and Balanced Science or even 'BBC' 'Click Bait' Articles..:)

Always Check a Second and Third and Even Fourth Science Source too for Fair and Balanced Science too..;)

Good post, well-researched. :)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2019, 3:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
So all of the media hype is eventually making "shrinks" wealthy.

Climate change is a real problem, but the media is recklessly hyping the situation past the point of a simple call to action.

Maybe we consume different media, but I actually think the media response has generally been pretty measured and realistic. There's an acknowledgement that getting to net zero by the middle of the century is necessary, but also both realistic and ambitious.

The people I have a real issue with are the radical activists. In the UK, anyone who suggests getting to net zero before 2040 is being unrealistic (and that's me being generous). If people talk about "climate justice" then they're probably pushing some kooky ideas. If people are opposed to nuclear power on grounds other than cost, then they're being unrealistic - even more so if they also object to carbon capture. If they advocate for increased organic farming then they're being unrealistic. If they accuse politicians who are making realistic, evidence-based, and ambitious pledges of "not listening to scientists", then they're not listening to scientists.

Yes, this is tough. Yes, we can't be complacent. Yes, we need to be acting now. But we can do this. We are doing this. We probably will succeed. If you're six years old today, then by the time you graduate university we'll have made so much progress - and we should have a better idea about those trickier last bits.

The USA is succeeding in spite of having the least climate-friendly leader in the world. China is making huge strides despite huge economic growth. There are one or two countries signed up to the Paris Agreement that don't seem to be taking it seriously but they'll come to their senses soon enough. The wildcards are probably the Gulf states that are both energy-hungry and oil producers and stand to lose big time from the energy transition, and I'm not going to pretend I know enough about them but as international demand for oil drops the economics of pumping it get trickier and trickier...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 5:23 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
aghogday wrote:
https://www.science20.com/robert_walker/bbcs_dirty_secret_sf6_gas_for_electrical_insulation_sf6_is_only_011_of_uks_greenhouse_emissions-241769

Good post, well-researched. :)

Thank You..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 7:46 pm

magz wrote:
That's the problem with the Imminent Doom Scenarios - giving nightmares to sensitive children but not making adults make better choices.

One of the problems with alarmism is that people become de-sensitised by emotionalistic and irrational rhetoric.
Tim Flannery, here in Australia, has done enormous damage to his cause due to wreckless hyperbole and has become a ludicrous meme as a result.
Talk about an own goal. <chuckle>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 7:55 pm

Quote:
As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/image ... -in-brazil

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 8:14 pm

Who wouldn't be afraid of the vast sheets of ice that will very soon cover all our cities!! 8O 8O

An enormous ice age – and it's almost here!! 8O 8O

The earth is going to become so cold we might not even be able to grow food! The children are right to be terrified!! 8O 8O

There Are Four Lights!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 8:29 pm

Darmok wrote:
Who wouldn't be afraid of the vast sheets of ice that will very soon cover all our cities!! 8O 8O

An enormous ice age – and it's almost here!! 8O 8O

The earth is going to become so cold we might not even be able to grow food! The children are right to be terrified!! 8O 8O

<chuckle>
I remember hearing about the Ice Age alarmism on a radio station.
Most of the young kids presumably wouldn't have.

Curious how "god" made children so malleable to indoctrination/dogma/brainwashing.
It is deplorable how some adults exploit this vulnerability.

What can you do? <shrug>
Well, I for one am not going to have children for, whatever reason.
I guess that makes me a god damned eco-warrior too. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 8:33 pm

aghogday wrote:

Matey,
You just have to appreciate the irony though.
It is exquisite. :wink:
Just like being neck-deep in bird carcases due to wind-turbine killing.
Err,
Using hyperbole, of course. :mrgreen:

P.S.
Why didn't they do the right thing in the first place? :scratch: