Page 6 of 11 [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Interesting that there is no provided link to look up the professionals and scientists involved in this letter.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:07 pm

L0ser wrote:
You humans are not worth saving from climate change. Mother Nature needs to have an abortion with her 'human' children.

https://youtu.be/aezikcoCr4o

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Interesting that there is no provided link to look up the professionals and scientists involved in this letter.
Quote:
The letter was signed by [over 500] prominent scientists and professionals from related fields, including atmospheric physicist Richard Lindzen and applied geology professor Alberto Prestininzi.

The effort is led by professor Guus Berkhout, a Dutch engineer who served as professor of acoustics, geophysics, and innovation management at the Delft University of Technology.

Berkhout intends to release the full list of 500 signatories in Oslo on Oct. 18.

:lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:18 pm

Darmok wrote:
Don't mean to derail this thread, but I think someone here owes us an explanation . . .

Oh dear,
The indiscretion youth.
What can I say? :shrug:

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:26 pm

Pepe wrote:
la_fenkis wrote:

Sometimes they'll even use ad hominem attacks to try to make a person more malleable to their guile.

Of course, neither naivete, authority, nor consensus have any bearing on truth in either direction, only the merit of the involved concepts themselves as they relate to reality.

I found your post a little ambiguous.
Old age, ya know. ;)

Some people compartmentalise and filter out relevant considerations when creating an intellectual construct, such as instinctual influences, psychological tendencies, cultural dogma, level of life wisdom, intellectual capacity, excessive emotional influences enticing emotionalism and catastrophisation.
I hope you are not one of "those people". :mrgreen:

All had been considered in my post to Greta's twin brother, Wolfram.

Many questions in life are extremely complex, grasshopper.
One must embrace a greater perspective to appreciate the entire picture, even if the process causes discomfort during that personal growth. 8)
Walk towards enlightenment, my child.

<om mani padme hum>

<exit ninja-philosophy mode> :ninja:

You've clearly misunderstood what I was saying. Anyways, I'm disengaging.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Donald Morton wrote:
There is one undeniable fact. The climate is changing whether it is solar forcing, or human intervention, or larger changes solar system wide, or any other issue, the climate is changing and not for the better. Unless you have been living under a rock in recent years and not witnessed the intensification of storms across the globe among other things, you would know this. We can continue to go on with our heads in the sand to see a world without clean air, clean water, clean food, significant wild life reductions leaving a waste land to the following generations. That is our future if things go as they are today.

I suppose all I did here was provide food for the trolls and contrarians.

I was going to upvote this post, but then I realized this isn't reddit...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

I work in geophysics, you sir are even dumber than flat earth conspiracists.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:27 pm

Redpaws wrote:
Quote:
Climate Change Alarmists Have Gone TOO FAR!

Absolutely! How dare they try to save the world and the life on it?

that was sarcasm by the way

You do know the difference between being rational and engaging in catastrophisation, right? 8O

Quote:

rational:
based on or in accordance with reason or logic. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... al+meaning

Quote:
Catastrophizing is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is. https://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-catastrophizing/

If you believe all life on this planet will become extinct in 12 years, then please, enjoy your youthful angst. :wink:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:29 pm

L0ser wrote:
You humans are not worth saving from climate change. Mother Nature needs to have an abortion with her 'human' children.

I suspect you are also human?...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:29 pm

Pepe wrote:
Redpaws wrote:
Quote:

You do know the difference between being rational and engaging in catastrophisation, right? 8O

Quote:

rational:
based on or in accordance with reason or logic. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... al+meaning

Quote:
Catastrophizing is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is. https://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-catastrophizing/

If you believe all life on this planet will become extinct in 12 years, then please, enjoy your youthful angst. :wink:

You know the difference between debate & just being an as*hole don't you?

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:36 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
I see this as the Liberal equivalent to the Christian Rapture.

The Christians (of which I am one) believe the end of the world is at hand, by God's power.
The Liberals (of which I am not) believe the end of the world is at hand, by man's power.
The only thing we do agree on is that it's gonna get warmer.

Each makes fun of the other because it never seems to happen.

In the 50's I think the world was supposed to be enveloped and destroyed by a blue mist.

I've often thought that worry about global warming is the climate version of apocalyptic leanings. It's based mainly on paranoid worry about the uncertain future.

There is zero danger of out of control warming. The warming is not going to spiral into endless warming that wipes out the planet. It just isn't going to happen.

In reality, a warmer Earth is a more productive Earth. The real disaster is not warming but cooling. We are currently in a warm period of an ice age. When this warm period ends and the next glaciation begins, people are going to be starving to death around the world because the Earth will no longer be able to support as much life. The real question is whether more people will starve to death than will be killed in wars over the dwindling resources.

I'm solidly in favor of global warming.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:42 pm

No plastic has gone to far.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:44 pm

You, sir, are a climate change flip flopper then.

The rest of us like fresh air. It's pretty simple.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2019, 7:46 am

Pepe wrote:
Redpaws wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

rational:

Quote:

You are a most persistent Troll. Even when no one else is posting you come up with dribble to support your biases. Give it a rest will ya?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2019, 7:53 am

Mod note -

I have merged several closely-related threads created by the same user.

I appreciate that it can be frustrating to speak to people who seem resistant to discussion. However, please refrain from personal attacks. Focus on the facts of the matter. If a user is not interested in facts, then quietly disengage rather than snapping at them.

I expect all users to engage constructively with each other. I will consider the proportionality of responses to non-constructive behaviour.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2019, 8:02 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Mod note -

I have merged several closely-related threads created by the same user.

I appreciate that it can be frustrating to speak to people who seem resistant to discussion. However, please refrain from personal attacks. Focus on the facts of the matter. If a user is not interested in facts, then quietly disengage rather than snapping at them.

I expect all users to engage constructively with each other. I will consider the proportionality of responses to non-constructive behaviour.

Understood. My apologies.