Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 9:06 am

I have seen threads on "Do you like travelling".
But this is a difficult one for me to answer. I do not want to travel abroad. The thought of it is a "No". But I enjoy driving around the rural areas of Wales. I love exploring Wales but I know that in Wales that I know where I am. I have a rough built in map in my mind where I recognize many areas so if I go on country lanes, I realize where I am when I come out, so I am relaxed and enjoying the adventure.
But when I cross over into England I am in a foreign land so I am a bit on edge. But the thought of being abroad... I don't think I could do it so easily without starting to panic. My brothers wife is Korean, and they want me to go to Korea. I have been invited to Ireland and to England. But I have declined. I like a holiday with no set agenda.

So to me. I love travelling within the rural and semi rural areas of Wales where I can relax,feel safe and enjoy... But outside those areas I tend to avoid. I have been into England and once went into Scotland, but I have to say I found it difficult to relax until I was back in Wales.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 9:31 am

I'm certainly not going to berate you for just staying in Wales. If that's what you want to do.

I feel a certain amount of anxiety when I am not in my "comfort zone." So I understand that feeling.

My love for "something different" other than the usual usually overtakes my anxious feelings. I find other cultures and other lands interesting.

Would you be able to learn about other lands and people through surfing the Internet? I have learned at least some things about many cultures through surfing. I find it fascinating.

The great thing about the Internet is that you can experience other lands (on YouTube) without having even to leave your home when you don't feel the desire to.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 9:42 am

.. I've traveled ueltra-little :( and never off of this continent.. I gave Welsh ancestry and get sorta stupid-American romantic. Wales - and the rest of Britain, and, say, France and some else of Western Europe might be nice to see, if I only got to go on one major trip ever :cry: .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 9:58 am

I've only been out of the country once since 1975. That was in 1995 to see my father in the USA. As I have a poor sense of direction I didn't venture out on my own. It was a good visit though.

The flight back home was another matter. 10 minutes into the flight I discovered my wallet with cash and return train ticket to get home had been stolen in the airport lounge . I spent the flight home in a state of high anxiety. I had to get financial help at Gatwick ,which I had , of course,to pay back .

Since then I've developed a strong fear/phobia of going abroad. I certainly couldn't do it on my own .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 10:00 am

I'm sorry you had to experience that, FireMonkey. It's not a good experience, to say the least.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 10:21 am

Thanks kraftiekortie .

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 10:30 am

My dad's like that too, Mountain Goat. He likes to travel in our home country, but refuses to go abroad. The few times he has gone have been for job purposes only.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2019, 10:55 am

I like travelling a lot. I have been in 29 countries.

The last relative year I have been in Japan, Moscow and Nizhni Novgorod, in Russia. The coming year I go to Belarus and St. Petersburg.

I may want to go to Montreal in 2021.

Belarus and Canada will be two new countries to me.

I love travelling!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:46 am

The only "foreign countries" I've been to in the last 25 years have been Scotland and Wales - but normally I never stray outside Yorkshire aside from the odd visit to relatives in the Midlands. The vast majority of the time, I never go any further than I can walk there and back. I haven't had a passport since my early 20's, and I don't have any interest at all in getting one.

Partly it's because I just don't like long-distance travelling; I don't like bus and train stations much, and I don't think I could cope with an airport, especially with all the modern security checks. My sleep is always much worse when I'm in an unfamiliar place, too (it's bad enough even when I'm in my own bed at home). Also, my memory works a bit strangely - by the time I've been back home for a week, I don't really feel like I ever went anywhere, even if I look at photos from the holiday. So it seems like a bit of a waste to go a long way when I can have a break that's just as relaxing closer to home.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:49 am

Where did you go in Wales?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:02 pm

^ Most recently, camping in Snowdonia. But I went to the South quite a few times back in my caving days - I went down quite a few of the caves in the Brecon Beacons around Llangattock, and also along the Neath valley. If there are any limestone outcrops anywhere near you, the chances are I've at least looked longingly at them from the road! The countryside around there is very similar to parts of Yorkshire, so I felt right at home (except that you can't brew beer properly down there! :twisted: :lol: )

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:30 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^ Most recently, camping in Snowdonia. But I went to the South quite a few times back in my caving days - I went down quite a few of the caves in the Brecon Beacons around Llangattock, and also along the Neath valley. If there are any limestone outcrops anywhere near you, the chances are I've at least looked longingly at them from the road! The countryside around there is very similar to parts of Yorkshire, so I felt right at home (except that you can't brew beer properly down there! :twisted: :lol: )

Probably because I don't drink beer. :P

I passed through Llanberis less then a week ago and it was crowded. You know those games in the fair where you put 2p pieces in and you hope to get the 2p to drop in the right place to win more 2p's that are on the edge of the moving table thing? Well. If you sent anyone else up Snowdon that day several other people would fall off!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:38 pm

:lol: I went to the top of Snowden on a family holiday when I was a kid - it was exactly like one of those machine then, too! The little railway is really nice, and the one at Ffestiniog, too.

When I went last time it was great - gorgeous weather, and it was a weekend when England were playing in the World Cup, so all the beauty spots were deserted while everyone else watched the footie in the pubs! I even got a little tarn all to myself for a bit of a skinny-dip.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:49 pm

When in South Wales, did you manage to get to see the turlough?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:51 pm

I lived in Ceredigion for about 4 years, not far from Cenarth falls, it was very beautiful. Everyone has to decide how far they want to travel, there's no point going to far from home if you are happy where you are.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 1:11 pm

domineekee wrote:
I lived in Ceredigion for about 4 years, not far from Cenarth falls, it was very beautiful. Everyone has to decide how far they want to travel, there's no point going to far from home if you are happy where you are.

I often call in at Cenarth. I drive there to relax.