Finding Motivation For School Work

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lucgn01
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2019, 2:45 pm

Can anyone give me advice on how to focus on my school work more? I get easily distracted and I zone out frequently. I know that an obvious piece of advice is "put the phone away", which I do, but I also need advice relating to motivation and to develop an interest in school work.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 8:37 am

Write schedule

Ritalin

Study group

Tutoring

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 9:10 am

lucgn01 wrote:
Can anyone give me advice on how to focus on my school work more? I get easily distracted and I zone out frequently. I know that an obvious piece of advice is "put the phone away", which I do, but I also need advice relating to motivation and to develop an interest in school work.

I used to struggle with this to a significant degree in school. Now, currently I am wondering what the reason behind this lack of motivation and interest is. Do you have any idea why this might be? If you can establish that, then it gives you more to work with. The first step towards improving is understanding where the problem stems from. Once that is understood, it is easier to approach the question of how can I change this?

There are some possibilities that come to mind.

-Are you getting enough sleep?

-If you find yourself procrastinating, what are you trying to avoid / why do you find yourself procrastinating? Perhaps the way you are trying to learn is ineffective and / or not engaging.

-Do you find it hard to concentrate on your work in school, or just whenever you have to complete it at home? Are you stuck on a particular subject and find it hard to progress due to lack of focus? Or is this the case for a vast majority of classes? Are you depressed / or struggling with your mental health in some other way? :chin:

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 10:47 pm

I never found it until I found a tutor who knew how to incorporate my special interests into the lesson plans.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 8:52 am

This is what I don't understand

No matter how many :evil: job skills :twisted: I acquired, the boss will hire a different applicant with the same job skills and a better personality

Personality/demeanor is the :evil: limiting reagent :ninja:

:D job skills :idea: and academic intelligence :mrgreen: are not limiting reagent

Plenty of precious lil "people" have zero job skills and they have a job

It doesn't matter that I don't have job skills

For :jester: autistics :| to get job skills , is like saying:

You got glasses but you are blind

You got shoes and no feet

You have all the ingredients for the recipe but no stove

"Life" is a farce

:)

:lol:

But that is just my opinion

Not all autistics are the same way

Please do not let this statement discourage your academic pursuit

:mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 9:25 am

lucgn01 wrote:
Volunteer for work at a homeless shelter. Listen to the people's stories. Note how many say how they coulda / shoulda / woulda done better if they had stayed in school and studied harder. Note their appearance, their health, and their overall attitude. Then go back to school and do your homework.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Mar 2020, 4:07 am

I had major problems with focusing on my school work for a few reasons. I had major problems in school due to dyslexia, ADD, & other related learning disabilities. No matter how hard I tried, my effort didn't seem to make much of a difference for me. I never learned from studding & no matter what I tried, things just didn't click for me at home. I either understood & learned it fairly easily during class or I was incapable of grasping it. School was very stressful for me & it was all I could do to try my best in class. I just did not have enough spoons(google spoon theory) to waste my effort at home when my teachers would never see it. I really needed my time out of school to wind down & relax. I also struggled majorly to pay attention even in class due to my ADD. I always feel like part of my brain is daydreaming, asleep, or just shut off. Because of my major problems with school, I never had any desire to go to college. I only graduated high-school cuz my grades were curved in some classes & I received accommodations due to my dyslexia. Being allowed things like extra time & having my grade curved in some subjects would NOT help me with employment after college. It does NOT benefit a potential employer to hire someone who will need extra time to finish assignments & still will not do them correctly enough. Going to college seemed like a waste to me & if you don't go to college, it doesn't matter what grades you received in high-school as long as you got the diploma. As a result of all this, it was impossible for me to really motivate myself & put forth a lot of effort on school stuff at home. I'm not saying this is what's going on with the OP or not, just my experience.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition