Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 7:46 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Thanks for the info Mona! The reason I said what jimmy said was too much cause I easily get sucked in other's problems. It's easy for people to take advantage of that and I would have to trust them enough that they won't up and leave. A close friend maybe but I would still be a little cautious.

What exactly do you mean by "get sucked in other's problems"? Do you simply mean that you have a desire to help people when they are having problems? If so, that's a good thing -- but only if your friends reciprocate and help you when you need help too. I would suggest that, as you get to know people, you do occasional small favors for them and see if they reciprocate in any way, at least eventually. (But avoid the pitfall of rigid score-keeping; a friendship is not a business transaction.)

AquaineBay wrote:
The most interesting and relevant similarities between me and my friend... I never thought about it and just found them to be very interesting! :oops: (And if they ever came and read this I would be very embarrassed)

I would suggest that you try to be more aware of your specific reasons for finding someone interesting.

AquaineBay wrote:
My social group friend I don't know...

Earlier you referred to it as a "support group"; now you're calling it a "social group." What kind of group is it, exactly, and what does it do? Does it have discussion meetings, or is it just socializing? Does it, for example, have a discussion meeting in a rented room somewhere, and then go out to dinner afterward? Or does it have a variety of different kinds of events?

AquaineBay wrote:
I would feel bad to keep going with trying to be friends when I feel there is nothing there to begin with. Kinda feel like I would be leading them on.I know friends can start low-key but, I wouldn't want them to invest when I knew that I wasn't feeling anything.

I didn't mean to suggest that you put a lot of time and effort into one-on-one interaction with this person, separate from the group you both attend. However, if you and the other person both continue to attend the group, then you can continue to get to know each other in the context of the group. Then you can make a more informed decision about whether you want to spend more time with this person outside the group.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 2:18 pm

Answer to Mona's post:
I mean that I end up doing too many favors or concentrate on solving others problems instead of my own or neglecting things I need to do to help them. I never liked score-keeping and hate when people do it(unless it's a Huge imbalance and they are doing it to balance it out).

I don't have a specific reason for finding someone interesting, I do it based on how I feel. Unless you do mean things like insults or I don't like your mannerisms(such as excessive profanity in public) the only thing left is how I feel.

Also I don't remember ever refering to my social skills group as a "support group". It's a group where we go to learn about proper social etiquette and getting better prepared for real life. Also making friends and going places(though I think that's more of a bonus). We have parties and outings as well.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 8:50 pm

Getting to know someone .... ? Hmm.. if you can survive it , and arent recovering from all the previous NT bs , might be a idea to seek a friend . After being burned even by immediate family . Such endeavours , might not be so eagerly undertaken. Even dissed by a family with aspie kidz .
But ever so politely . Oddly enough alot of my personal projects . Get most attention , when on my own. And material accomplishments for my own self . Seem to come to fruition .
Currently recovering from previous gaslighting experience by a Older N T woman,and 300 dollars to her granddaughter was blind for 10 yrs , cause needed a friend. Sorry not such good post.
Hope for better luck for everykne else.

where ever you go ,there you are

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2019, 9:13 pm

I've been extremely awkward and bad at greeting others/saying bye my whole life. It didn't help that i was bullied in high school and it stunted my ability to be loud and present in group situations. A lot of traumatic events have happened during my life that have prevented me from gaining confidence, speaking well and being outgoing/extroverted.

Not having friends, support systems and dealing with severe depression + anxiety are part of it. I wish people would understand that I am not always capable or willing to engage in small talk like "good morning/evening", "how was the weekend" with all my coworkers. Saying hi to each and everyone is exhausting for me and often I overthink it and say some awkward s**t.

My introverted personality is turning people off and I'm scared of rejection/failure. I just don't know how to succeed in a world built for extroverts.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 12:09 am

AquaineBay wrote:
I don't have a specific reason for finding someone interesting, I do it based on how I feel. Unless you do mean things like insults or I don't like your mannerisms(such as excessive profanity in public) the only thing left is how I feel.

So you don't have any specific interests that you enjoy talking about, or any specific activities you enjoy doing with others, or any political or other worldview issues on which you have strong opinions?

AquaineBay wrote:
Also I don't remember ever refering to my social skills group as a "support group".

Looking back at earlier posts in this thread, I see that indeed you didn't use the term "support group." I must have gotten some things mixed up somehow.

AquaineBay wrote:
It's a group where we go to learn about proper social etiquette and getting better prepared for real life. Also making friends and going places(though I think that's more of a bonus). We have parties and outings as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 12:17 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
I've been extremely awkward and bad at greeting others/saying bye my whole life.

You also wrote:

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
I wish people would understand that I am not always capable or willing to engage in small talk like "good morning/evening", "how was the weekend" with all my coworkers. Saying hi to each and everyone is exhausting for me and often I overthink it and say some awkward s**t.

How many different co-workers are you expected to engage in small talk with each day?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 9:03 am

AquaineBay wrote:
Also I don't remember ever refering to my social skills group as a "support group". It's a group where we go to learn about proper social etiquette and getting better prepared for real life. Also making friends and going places(though I think that's more of a bonus). We have parties and outings as well.

I would've needed one in my late teens. Is it one of those where people are taught basic independent life skills (cooking, doing laundry, paying bills, grocery shopping etc.) and social skills are just a small part of it or are social skills and etiquette the main theme?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 9:22 am

Don't argue with people over every little point.

I used to do that---and I lost friends as a result.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 12:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Agreed, but the problem is the word "little." Something that you consider a big deal can seem small and meaningless to others. That's the real problem; even autistic people (most anyway) learn fast to not argue about meaningless things, but our idea of meaningless is often different than an average person's.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2019, 10:01 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:
I've been extremely awkward and bad at greeting others/saying bye my whole life.

You also wrote:

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
I wish people would understand that I am not always capable or willing to engage in small talk like "good morning/evening", "how was the weekend" with all my coworkers. Saying hi to each and everyone is exhausting for me and often I overthink it and say some awkward s**t.

How many different co-workers are you expected to engage in small talk with each day?

I do not see the point in interacting with people at work. I see no point in small talk or being friendly to people. I just want to do my job and go home and not waste time on pointless chit chat.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 6:11 am

Fireblossom wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Agreed, but the problem is the word "little." Something that you consider a big deal can seem small and meaningless to others. That's the real problem; even autistic people (most anyway) learn fast to not argue about meaningless things, but our idea of meaningless is often different than an average person's.

Both are very valid points , but some defference should be given to those who
Needs things clarified , fixed , reinforced ? Etc. Meaningless contains meaning as the root word .. lol small to some , insurmountable to others .
Basis for understanding , starts with a base .

where ever you go ,there you are

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 12:55 am

Fnord wrote:
You need to share their values, their interests, and their economic status. You also need to excel at something that they are into (a sport, a talent, an art, a craft, et cetera) to earn their admiration. Good looks and personal hygiene are important, too. Show good humor and generosity. Be merciful to those less fortunate. Dress well.

This is so important. Wish I understood this at an early age.