Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

kikdoodle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2019, 1:29 pm

Hello everyone. I made this account a year or 2 ago, when I was going through the process of getting diagnosed.
Well, I'm writing this now to give out an update.
When I was around 3 or 4, my dad went on this very same site to answer his theories about me. My parents had the suspicion that I was on the Autism spectrum. He posted his thoughts on here, and everyone gave out helpful tips and information on the signs and the process of getting a diagnosis. It was relunctantly decided that I would start going through the process. However, due to some circumstances, my parents didn't want to go the next stage, so for some time their questions were unanswered.
However, about 8 years later, 11 year old me was browsing some videos on YouTube about my current obsession: The Sims.
Then I came across a video on autism from a Sims youtuber I liked. I wasn't sure what it was at first, so I clicked on it to learn.
The Youtuber discussed the basics of autism, and how he dealt with it and its pros as well as cons. As he went further and further in detail, I realised these traits associated with ASD matched me.
When my parents came home, I asked them if I could talk to them privately, expecting them to laugh at my overreaction and brush it off.
But instead, they both looked at each other and confessed to me that they, too, knew that I may be autistic, and they tried getting me diagnosed several years prior. I was really surprised actually, and partly relieved there may be a place for me to fit in.
This topic wasn't talked about again for a few months, until autism came up in English at school. After that day, I wanted to go through the diagnosis process again.
My Dad showed me WrongPlanet, and I signed up, and even read the post that he had written so many years ago! If anyone who commented on it in the past is reading this (which is very unlikely) thank you for helping me get diagnosed!
So we went to the local GP, and got me officially registered to be diagnosed.
The actual process took a year and a half at least (involving many awkward appointments) and eventually I got diagnosed with autism.
I didn't feel upset when I got the news, I was really happy that it was finally official and something that I confirm.
So, now I'm almost 14, and I can't believe it took about 10 years for me to get diagnosed!
Thank you for reading :heart:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 1:41 pm

What a story... Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 1:48 pm

Hi and a very warm welcome kikdoodle :)! So good to have you with us. That was quite the read 8). Is it possible to have a link to your Dad's post from way back when(10 years ago)?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 7:00 pm

Welcome, kikdoodle. :)

And congratulations are in order. Sometimes there are conflicting emotions upon diagnosis, that's what I had. I'm glad to see that you're happy, you made a well-written post! :mrgreen:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 9:56 pm

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen:

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:35 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

I wish I'd been 14 and not 36 when I was diagnosed...
:D

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 12:56 am

Welcome, lovely story!!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 3:58 am

Welcome to wrong planet and congratulations.

You have great parents and you should thank them if you have not already done so.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 7:45 am

Welcome to wrong planet! I also got diagnosed after finding out about autism due to a special interest. I'm happy you are happy with the knowledge :)