Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mmamc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2019, 8:55 am

Hey!

Never done a post/blog/forum etc. This is on recommendation of the doctor who diagnosed me with Autism Spectrum Disorder today.

I know the interview had been coming for a year... a year for me to calm down, move away from the focus of questionnaires on parts of my life that I crinkle my nose thinking about and self-doubt that no-one is seeing things my way. All rushed on in a blinding light this afternoon. Of course there were tears, that's the default when it's too much.

It's a lot to contemplate. The way I have thought for my entire life is now a diagnosis; it is markedly different to the point it has a name and there is actually an intangible block between me and everyone for always. I can't have common experiences with people because I relate that differently?

My whole world is upside down. I don't even know if I can pick this apart. Is there a point. How so I even attempt to explain this when my starting point is my sensitivities are all unbalanced. Where do I start with me? Where do I start with other people or do I just ignore it?

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2019, 6:00 am

Hello Welcome.

My heart go to you I am only learn I autistic not long ago this year. Wrong planet people here have been nice to me and I made friend Stardust I was confused but people help me people like me that live in world like me are like a know them long time. I not know about me until I meet and talk people like me maybe like you too?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 4:24 pm

Hi and welcome :)! It's good to have you with us. Understandable that you're feeling as you do. We're with you, and as time goes by, I hope you come to feel at ease here, and maybe even find some like-minded friends/acquaintances.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 7:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 7:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I was amazed to learn there were other people like me.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 1:52 am

Welcome,

I had my diagnosis in March this year at the age of 47 and I can remember feeling all of the confusion and many of the things you are describing. With time I have been able to better understand how this autism thing has effected my whole life, but it's still a bit of a work in process for me. The best thing has been me not working so hard to be "normal" which has made life easier in some ways. I hope you find your own answers in time.

Aisling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Oct 2019, 2:27 am

One of the things that helped me was understanding that there was a reason why I did/said all the things I did/said, that so much of my life finally made sense, even from as far back as I can remember. I focused on this mostly, rightly or wrongly, but it helped. Take it easy, give yourself time. Not everyone will understand, not everyone will even accept what you are saying, but being aspergers is a fact you can grasp, it's not intangible anymore. All the best wishes in the world x

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 7:22 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 10:22 am

Welcome!

I would start by identifying sources of stress and deciding whether it would be useful to do something about them.
I got rid of the excessively bright lights at home and reduced my electric bill at the same time!

Unlike, say, Down's Syndrome, the autism spectrum is hard for the average person to understand, so telling people you have autism may not be useful. Instead, if you need an accommodation at work, just ask for what you need.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 11:56 am

Mmamc wrote:
I can't have common experiences with people because I relate that differently?

I can relate just fine with most ASD folks, so clearly I can relate to other people. It's just that I don't think like NT folks and ---surprise!-- they don't think like me. So who's not relating to whom? (Clearly the NT person cannot relate. :wink: )

Mmamc wrote:
My whole world is upside down. I don't even know if I can pick this apart. Is there a point. How so I even attempt to explain this when my starting point is my sensitivities are all unbalanced. Where do I start with me? Where do I start with other people or do I just ignore it?

I am starting with accepting some of my ease and some of my challenges are a result of how my brain works, which is the same as some few and different from many others. The for those "many others" I can script "disclaimers" that help them be comfortable with what's unfamiliar to them: "oh, I'm sensitive to... distracted by... noticing... need a visual cue..." etc., etc.

Welcome to the club! I'll find out next month if I am an "official" member.