Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 10:13 am

A 27-year-old Florida woman was arrested after her parents found two dozen pipe bombs in her bedroom and called the local sheriff's office, authorities said Friday.

Michelle Louise Kolts was arrested early Friday and booked on 24 counts of making, possessing, throwing, projecting, placing or discharging a destructive device.

During a search of Kolts' home in Wimauma, investigators also seized pistol powder, knives, hatchets, nunchucks, BB pellet rifles and handguns and books and DVDs on murder, mass killing, bomb-making and domestic terrorism, Fox 13 Tampa reported.

Chronister told the station Kolts admitted to making the pipe bombs and planned to use them to hurt people without being specific, according to the station.

"She became consumed with the Columbine and Oklahoma killings," Chronister told the station, an apparent reference to the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing at the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine High School in Colorado. "At that time [August 2018], she wasn't diagnosed with any type of mental health diagnosis. She stated, at that time, her intentions were not to harm anyone. Her parents said she was a little on the autism spectrum."

Florida woman arrested after parents find 24 pipe bombs in her bedroom

The article closes with ""If you see something suspicious, please say something. They [her parents]called 911 immediately."

That is very good advice.

On the other hand, she may not fit the definition of a terrorist or mass murderer in the making. She definately appears to have a fascination or special interest with weapons. But many of the weapons she had were BB Guns rather than the kind that shoot bullets and kill. I am not an expert on pipe bombs but shouldn't the pipe endcaps be drilled with fuzes installed. Were these real live bombs? Are they designed to be activated by being thrown?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 10:18 am

Mere possession of an explosive device -- especially an IED, whether completed or not -- is illegal.

It does not matter whether she used or intended to use any of the illegal weapons she possessed; the simple fact that she possessed them was sufficient grounds for her arrest.

Autism is not a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 10:53 am

Fnord wrote:
Autism is not a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

I agree. But as an Aspie, we are noted for have a lack of common sense.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 7:18 am

True, but I'm not sure being "a little on the autism spectrum" and having perhaps a bit less common sense than the average person adds up to explaining away "I'm gonna take up bomb-making as a hobby."

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 7:25 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
True, but I'm not sure being "a little on the autism spectrum" and having perhaps a bit less common sense than the average person adds up to explaining away "I'm gonna take up bomb-making as a hobby."

For a nonviolent offense it may make a big difference, but for making bombs and such it still translates to being incarcerated. The only difference is jail or psych ward.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 5:53 pm

Too bad her interest couldn’t been put to good use but aspire aren’t allowed to serve in military or police anymore

I thought most aspires followed the law?

I could put a grip on my handgun but I don’t cause it’s illegal even if the law is stupid.
But a lot of people don’t knlw the laws. Quite a few anti gun people committed felonies making illegal short barrels rifles.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 7:56 pm

sly279 wrote:
.......Quite a few anti gun people committed felonies making illegal short barrels rifles.

Quite a few pro-gun people commit the offence of shortening barrels. They are easier to hide that way, especially when committing other crimes.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 3:38 am

sly279 wrote:
Too bad her interest couldn’t been put to good use but aspire aren’t allowed to serve in military or police anymore

I could put a grip on my handgun but I don’t cause it’s illegal even if the law is stupid.
But a lot of people don’t knlw the laws. Quite a few anti gun people committed felonies making illegal short barrels rifles.

Putting a grip on your pistol is illegal? That seems...weird. Or do you mean a front grip, like on the Beretta 93R?

AnneOleson wrote:
sly279 wrote:
.......Quite a few anti gun people committed felonies making illegal short barrels rifles.

Quite a few pro-gun people commit the offence of shortening barrels. They are easier to hide that way, especially when committing other crimes.

Shortening the barrel is, more often than not, a question of easier handling and point-of-balance than any notions of hiding long guns under trench-coats. I think you've watched one too many movies.

Besides, your already quite dubious claim is somewhat tempered by the fact that legal gun owners are typically among the most law-abiding citizens.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

AnneOleson wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Shortening the barrel is, more often than not, a question of easier handling and point-of-balance than any notions of hiding long guns under trench-coats. I think you've watched one too many movies.

Besides, your already quite dubious claim is somewhat tempered by the fact that legal gun owners are typically among the most law-abiding citizens.
[/quote]

Legal gun owners may well be very law abiding. Illegal-gun owners are not. In Canada shortening the barrel is generally illegal. I don’t need to watch movies to know that, I’ve handled enough.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 5:27 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
sly279 wrote:

No most pro gun people don’t commit crimes.
They go through the paperwork, pay $200, and wait 6 months to year for approval for stupidity since shorter barrels aren’t more deadly. I’d do it but since I rent and it takes 6 months to year to get approval to move a nfa item I can’t since I probably won’t have that long of notice to move.

Criminals aren’t pro gun, they’d prefer guns be banned so their victims won’t be armed and able to defend themselves.
10/10 criminals support gun control.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 5:31 pm

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 5:32 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Putting a grip on your pistol is illegal? That seems...weird. Or do you mean a front grip, like on the Beretta 93R?

AnneOleson wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Pistols grips can’t be removed or added so yes a front grip or forgrip. It makes it a short barrel rifle or any other weapon or maybe a firearm i dont know but it needs registered and so illegal.
A 16” rifle is on but a 15.999999” rifle is dangerous and need registered. Mind you original the law was 18” for rifles but changed last min so government could sell their stock of m1 carbines.
Proof the whole short barrel rifle stuff is just nonsense to make money.
Criminals don’t care and do whatever they want and can’t be held accountable for not registering as it’s violate their 5th amendment rights of self incrimination.

Canada has no such laws as dont many European nations as they know barrel length is actually better longer then shorter.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 5:36 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

AnneOleson wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Legal gun owners may well be very law abiding. Illegal-gun owners are not. In Canada shortening the barrel is generally illegal. I don’t need to watch movies to know that, I’ve handled enough.[/quote]

Not from what gun owners have told me. There’s no short barrel rifle or short barrel shotgun laws in Canada.
So people can own mp7 or p90s where in USA we can’t without government approval and as such companies don’t bother.
Canada gun owners can also get Chinese and Russian rifles and pistols where we can’t.
You also got the weapons of war Obama blocked from reimportation. So Korea got to profit off USA government property sold to Canada gun owners.
In some ways Canada gun owners have it better. I’d like the positives of Canada gun laws mixed with the positives of USA gun laws.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:50 pm

For Sly and Wolfram:
Prohibited firearms in Canada

From the RCMP website

“handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;
rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm or their overall length is less than 660 mm;
full automatics;
converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations.”

Criminals ARE pro-gun. In Canada, criminals preying upon non-criminals do not expect their victims to have firearms. People legally possessing firearms generally have them legally stored too, which makes it difficult to defend yourself if there was a home invasion. Firearm locked up, ammunition kept separately.....

Or Sly, when you say ”pro-gun”, do you mean someone is in favour of guns, or do you mean they are in favour of gun control? That is - “pro gun-control”. To me, saying someone is pro-gun means they are in favour of guns, which criminals would likely be.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 12:05 am

AnneOleson wrote:
For Sly and Wolfram:
Prohibited firearms in Canada

From the RCMP website

“handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;
rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm or their overall length is less than 660 mm;
full automatics;
converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations.”

Criminals ARE pro-gun. In Canada, criminals preying upon non-criminals do not expect their victims to have firearms. People legally possessing firearms generally have them legally stored too, which makes it difficult to defend yourself if there was a home invasion. Firearm locked up, ammunition kept separately.....

Or Sly, when you say ”pro-gun”, do you mean someone is in favour of guns, or do you mean they are in favour of gun control? That is - “pro gun-control”. To me, saying someone is pro-gun means they are in favour of guns, which criminals would likely be.

Restricted firearms include:

handguns that are not prohibited;
semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm;
rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm; and

Restricted guns are still legally owned.
Only difference seems to be if you bought the barrel or gun that short or if you cut it with a saw after buying it.
Barrel length laws as stupid, illogical and pointless.

I’m probably going buy me a “pistol” eventually. :lol:
This is what our stupid laws cause
This pistols is now legally a rifle

Take the stock off and it’s a any of weapon.

This is a “firearm” and doesn’t need registration
Put a stick on it and it’s a short barrel shotgun and needs registration functionality there’s no difference
Pro gun aren’t against illegal gun control laws that’s hurt them
I’m pro 2nd amendment which means I’m against all illegal gun laws.

In most American states anyone can carry a gun. Criminals would prefer no one can own guns. Legal gun ownership is dangerous for criminals.

I sleep with two loaded guns in arms reach.
The Supreme Court ruled against gun storage laws as locked up guns are useless for defense.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 12:59 am

There are differences between Canadian and US firearm laws for sure! :D

Our storage laws are strict. That is why at one point I had given my long guns to another family member.

Here, restricted arms can be legally owned but the rules are tight. So you might be able to legally own one but you have to register it, licence it and have Permission to Transport it. If you had a short barrelled shotgun you can’t just go hunting with it.

Permitted purposes for a restricted firearm

“There are a few purposes for which individuals can be licensed to acquire or possess a restricted firearm, the most common being target practice or target shooting competitions, or as part of a collection. In limited circumstances, restricted firearms are also allowed for use in connection with one's lawful profession or occupation, or to protect life.

Exception: Individuals who have a firearm that is registered to them as a relic under the former legislation may continue to possess it for that purpose. However, they cannot pass that designation on to the next owner. The next owner can acquire the firearm only for one of the purposes referred to above. As set out in the Firearms Act, a relic firearm is one that is of value as a curiosity or rarity, or that is valued as a memento, remembrance or souvenir.”

Interesting the difference a removable stock can make in your classification! I think in Canada putting a stock on a handgun would still keep it in the restricted or prohibited class. It would not make it a non-restricted rifle.

It gets confusing when you speak of illegal laws. I understand what you mean, especially in reference to your second amendment rights. But to me, all our laws are legal until deemed not legal by a court of law. We do have some old, silly ones in effect but they tend not to be enforced.