Do Employment Services Need Improvement

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2019, 1:32 pm

When I got assistance from the local service for Aspies I compiled a list of my transferable skills and specifically told them that I was looking for a job where I could use my abilities.

They got me a warehouse job which turned out to be a total fiasco and put me in the hospital. Then I got a job on my own at a grocery store. I did like that they had a coach for me. The agency is good at finding jobs for people who are grateful just to get a job, but if someone wants a fulfilling career-type job that uses their talents, has better pay, better hours, and vacation forget it. Unless they stumble upon it. Which I have heard they did.

I have researched and found a company that matches jobs with potential employers. At a conference, I went to they had a lady who practiced finding out what a person was good at and then finding out which company has that problem but doesn't know it.

I think Aspies need to stand up and say, "We don't want to spend our lives in fast food and grocery." What are your thoughts?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 2:25 pm

From my own bitter personal experience with job services and vocational rehab in PA, you’re on your own, as far as Job service and vocational rehab are concerned. I remember all too well when I lost my job in Chicago, moved back to PA, and registered with job service, the counselor (if you could call her that) did NOTHING to make my job search easier. IF ANYTHING, SHE WAS SHOOTING ME DOWN ON EVERY POSITION I WANTED TO PUT IN AN APPLICATION!! ! Her reasoning was my skills set did not exactly match what the prospective Employer was asking for (Hey, lady, ever hear of transferable skills? The Master’s degree does say Library and Information Science! Unfortunately, that old battleaxe was close to retirement, and was making all of her supposed clients miserable. By the time I lodged a complaint against her, she had, in fact, retired.). Her replacement, even though I knew her (she, her husband and I were in the same church choir. She complained about her husband about wanting to make music rather than money. I gave her The look and told her that being a musician is like being a carnival worker: it’s in our blood, so get used to it!)

Vocational Rehab was even worse: when I was diagnosed with Bipolar I with Seasonal Affect, Aspergers and General Anxiety Disorder (Which was later changed to PTSD), vocational rehab didn’t know what to do with me. They could deal with physical as well as intellectual and neurological disability, they have no idea on how to deal with mental illness or developmental disabilities, ESPECIALLY if you’re in your mid 50’s when diagnosed.

So, you’re damned if you do, and damned if you don’t, so you might as well just be damned! :help: