Have I lost my best friend forever?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 12:15 pm

Since posting this thread...

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=370746&start=15

...my friend and I reconnected after things blew over.

But a few days ago, she commented on a news article, and was attacked online by a couple of SJW/Antifa-types. The people who attacked her found her phone number and sent threatening phone calls to her and her father because she blocked the online attackers. She de-activated her Facebook account, and that was our sole method of communication. I have no way to reach her, and I am worried about her safety.

I am worried that I have lost my friend forever.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2019, 12:57 pm

I'm reminded of a novel in which one of the protagonists yells "S h i t !" in the most helpful manner he can. Possibly a Douglas Adams story.

Wish I could come up with a better response.

Maybe in some way you may yet succeed in getting back in touch. Fingers crossed.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 7:10 pm

She and I have been friends for 16 years. If I lose her, I'll never be able to meet as loyal a friend as her.

innominate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2019, 1:04 am

did you know any of their other friends on FB? maybe you could try getting in touch with one of them to pass along a message/contact information?

i hope that you can reconnect.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 1:52 am

Maybe she will reach out to you

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2019, 2:20 am

innominate wrote:
Did you know any of their other friends on FB? Maybe you could try getting in touch with one of them to pass along a message/contact information?

I hope that you can reconnect.
enz wrote:
Maybe she will reach out to you.
Agree with all of the above. Really wishing you good luck with this one.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 10:57 am

It’s been a week, and still nothing.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2019, 11:47 am

Well I don't really know much about Facebook, but if your friend has (quite understandably) decided to be invisible for a while, I realize it's been a very long and unhappy week of suspense for you, but maybe she feels she has to remain invisible for longer than one week.

After 16 years it's hard to believe she would do nothing whatever to re-establish contact. Could she, eventually, when she feels ready, establish a new Facebook identity, and then find you that way?

Not only do I not know much about Facebook. I don't really understand friendship too well, or so I sometimes think! So I'm not really qualified to say more than that you must continue to wait and hope. I know that's easier said than done...

If, as you mention, her father was also involved, then out of respect for his wishes she may be doing things in a way she herself is not 100% happy with and would not necessarily have chosen.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 12:04 pm

innominate wrote:
did you know any of their other friends on FB? maybe you could try getting in touch with one of them to pass along a message/contact information?

i hope that you can reconnect.

I did. Nothing.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

It still is pretty soon after the event, to be fair. Here's hoping in another few weeks, or say even maybe in the New Year, your friend will be in a position to make a fresh start.

After all, the controversy you mention sounds pretty scary. From something like that, it would definitely take me many weeks to recover and regain some confidence, some faith in humanity.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 4:27 pm

She’s back online.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2019, 3:31 am

Have basically given up on Wrong Planet for the time being, and probably forever in fact, but am happy to come back from my self-imposed exile to send you felicitations on this news. Hopefully you & your friend can now resume & remain in contact. Really pleased for you.

All good wishes.