[OPINION] "Redneck" is a bannable racist term.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 4:24 pm

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary...

Redneck (n):

1) a white member of the Southern rural laboring class

2) a person whose behavior and opinions are similar to those attributed to rednecks

[opinion=mine]

Specifying the term "Redneck" to whites gives it racial significance. Thus, any attribution to the term "Redneck" is a racial attribution; and when used disparagingly, it is a racist term on par with the infamous "N-word" used against blacks.

So, when someone describes a "Redneck" as unsophisticated, unhygienic, uneducated, ignorant, incestuous, and violent, they are doing so solely against whites, and not against any other race or ethnicity. Thus, the term "Redneck" is racist, and its disparaging use should be a bannable offense.

[/opinion]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 6:37 pm

Well, s**t! What are we supposed to call them, then? Even rednecks call themselves rednecks. Just last week I was behind a pickup truck that had a sticker in the window that read, PROUD TO BE A REDNECK.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 7:37 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Even rednecks call themselves rednecks

Not taking sides, just a little thought experiment: Try substituting "redneck" for the "N-word". :wink:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 7:51 pm

And another thought experiment, to show good faith that I'm not taking sides.

Assume Fnord's new "protected category". Now take a black person and a redneck person. Both do well in life, attain white collar jobs, nice house, swanky car, get a bit snooty about their friends back in their old home neighbourhood, pick up new middle-class friends, take up golf, blah, blah.

The black person's "protected status" has not changed.

And the redneck?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 9:38 pm

Fnord wrote:

Redneck (n):

2) a person whose behavior and opinions are similar to those attributed to rednecks

[opinion=mine]

Specifying the term "Redneck" to whites gives it racial significance. Thus, any attribution to the term "Redneck" is a racial attribution; and when used disparagingly, it is a racist term on par with the infamous "N-word" used against blacks.

So, when someone describes a "Redneck" as unsophisticated, unhygienic, uneducated, ignorant, incestuous, and violent, they are doing so solely against whites, and not against any other race or ethnicity. Thus, the term "Redneck" is racist, and its disparaging use should be a bannable offense.

[/opinion]

BS.

Rednecks happened to be White. But the term "redneck" is not a synonym for "Caucasian" , or "White", or "any light skinned person of European descent".

"n****r" refers to all Black people. At the very least to all native born garden variety American Blacks of the stock who are descended from antebellum slaves. And actually it refers to all dark skinned folks of African descent world wide including in Africa itself.

The rarely used terms like "Honky" and "Cracker" are the equivalent for Whites.

"Redneck" refers to a tiny subset of the North American White population who are of a particular region and class. Most of the folks who use the term are themselves White. It does not refer to the Queen of England, or to Putin, or to most Europeans or to most of the worldwide light skinned European descent population.

It is a slur. You might even call it an "ethnic slur" ( if you define southern white folks of Scotch-Irish descent an "ethnic group"). At worst its like Pollock or Wop ( and even THAT is a stretch). A slur against a ethnic tribal subset of the white race. But it doesn't refer to Whites as a whole. So its not a racial slur.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 Oct 2019, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 9:44 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
And another thought experiment, to show good faith that I'm not taking sides.

Assume Fnord's new "protected category". Now take a black person and a redneck person. Both do well in life, attain white collar jobs, nice house, swanky car, get a bit snooty about their friends back in their old home neighbourhood, pick up new middle-class friends, take up golf, blah, blah.

The black person's "protected status" has not changed.

And the redneck?

IF a "redneck" were to rise up the corporate ladder to become upper middle class then by definition they would no longer be a "redneck" (part of the definition of a redneck is being blue collar). In contrast a Black person who rises up from the ghetto to the executive suite is still a Black person. So yes...a Black person would be entitled to protection from being called the N word in a way that the one time "redneck" would not need protection from being called a redneck.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 9:53 pm

It depends on how it is being used. If it is being used to show contempt towards and attack a certain demographic, then it is a bad word.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 9:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Redneck (n):

[opinion=mine]

[/opinion]

BS.

Rednecks happened to be White. But the term "redneck" is not a synonym for "Caucasian" , or "White", or "any light skinned person of European descent".

"n****r" refers to all Black people. At the very least to all native born garden variety American Blacks of the stock who are descended from antebellum slaves. And actually it refers to all dark skinned folks of African descent world wide including in Africa itself.

The rarely used terms like "Honky" and "Cracker" are the equivalent for Whites.

"Redneck" refers to a tiny subset of the North American White population who are of a particular region and class. Most of the folks who use the term are themselves White. It does not refer to the Queen of England, or to Putin, or to most Europeans or to most of the worldwide light skinned European descent population.

It is a slur. You might even call it an "ethnic slur" ( if you define southern white folks of Scotch-Irish descent an "ethnic group"). At worst its like Pollock or Wop ( and even THAT is a stretch). A slur against a ethnic tribal subset of the white race. But it doesn't refer to Whites as a whole. So its not a racial slur.

It is a derogatory reference to white people having sunburned necks. It is based on ethnicity/race and demographics. It is often used the same way as calling people "white trash".

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 10:19 pm

The t-shirt I'm currently wearing has a Sig Sauer P228 with the word kill and has Rednek written on the back :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 10:33 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
The t-shirt I'm currently wearing has a Sig Sauer P228 with the word kill and has Rednek written on the back :twisted:

In South Africa the Boers called the English rooineks (rednecks) as a term of contempt.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 12:56 am

Redneck was a common term heard in Montana where I lived. I would hear a lot of Redneck jokes from my brothers and their friends. One of them even made a Redneck gingerbred house and it was just very sloppy made.

I had an impression redneck meant a poor uneducated stupid person. That seems to describe my old town in Montana. Too many high school drop outs and teen pregnancy and drug users and lot of people just don't make enough and lot of dysfunctional families and even child abuse was normalized there and adults dating underage teens.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 8:19 am

I don't see a problem with the term.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 8:21 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I don't see a problem with the term.
I guess that settles it. Calling someone a "Redneck" is neither racist nor a bannable offense on this website.

Lock the thread, please.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 8:38 am

A "honky" is a derogatory term for a white person.

A "white boy" is a derogatory term for a white person.

A "cracker" is a derogatory term for a white person.

All bannable, in my opinion.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 9:17 am

Redneck wasn't as derogatory 30 years ago as it is now.

A "redneck," back then, was merely a country person who tended to work hard at manual labor, and to wear lumberjack-type clothes. Sometimes, it was implied that they were "backwards" or "hick," or whatever---but not always.

You wouldn't have called a "trailer-trash" type of person a "redneck" back then.