Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 12:14 pm

This s**t really irritates me. Unfortunately it's all too common in our national parks. This video taken recently shows a group of genetically challenged humans standing just a few yards away from a black bear in GSMNP.

It won't end well for this bear, unfortunately, since it has lost any fear of humans, probably because some moron has already fed it, or was careless with food storage. Once a bear associates the smell of food with humans, it generally doesn't end well for the creature. Odds are, euthanasia is in its future.

https://unofficialnetworks-com.cdn.ampp ... ck-bear%2F

Oscar Meyer Lansky

DoTheTw1zt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2019, 12:22 pm

That is annoying! I wish people would have better respect for nature. :(

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 12:36 pm

They're self-entitled idiots. It's a shame none of these people could be identified because they would face a stiff fine or even jail time. Closing a gap of 50 yards on a bear is a against the law

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 1:11 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Closing a gap of 50 yards on a bear is a against the law

Typo, I presume? Article says 150 yards.

Also:

Quote:
…never ever intentionally get this close to a bear or what happens next is your own fault.

Sums up my sentiment nicely...

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 2:30 pm

Not a typo. I thought it was 50 yards.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Moretto
Raven
Raven

Location: 01 Oakes Vetoh Lemala, Zeydin Seetznin, Hanow, Cassonie

17 Oct 2019, 3:14 pm

I was in Sequoia national park (CA) last month. Not long after having visited General Sherman (surrounded by la francophonie), I stumbled upon a small group of people that had formed around a black bear who was wandering about. The imbeciles must have been about 30 feet away from it, no joke.

Of course they were dead silent, none of them dared to move a muscle. Literally everything I have ever read about bear encounters in the wild urges you to make as much noise as you can, appear larger, to scare it away and reinforce its natural fear of humans. I tried that and everyone looked at me like I had three trillion heads.

It eventually left. But whatever...it's their funeral. Can't blame international city slickers for being clueless around wildlife they've most likely never seen.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive." - Baldwin

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm

They should have petted the cuddly bear and put their kids on it for a ride.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 5:24 pm

If I didn't know the bear would be euthanized, I would be all for that. A few less low IQ people in the world, the better.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 2:24 am

VegetableMan wrote:
If I didn't know the bear would be euthanized, I would be all for that. A few less low IQ people in the world, the better.

It's funny you mention low IQ morons who treat animals cruelly

Elephants are among the smartest most caring animals on earth. Trump Jnr parading around with a mother elephant's tail he just cut off reminds me of the "Predator" movie where the evil alien walks around parading a human's spinal chord.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 6:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

It's funny you mention low IQ morons who treat animals cruelly

Elephants are among the smartest most caring animals on earth. Trump Jnr parading around with a mother elephant's tail he just cut off reminds me of the "Predator" movie where the evil alien walks around parading a human's spinal chord.

Unless you've been a lifelong vegan and never wear leather, I see virtue signalling and crocodile tears. Don't ever go into a store like Cabela's. It's packed with stuffed game animals. Might give you PSTD.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 7:19 am

Moretto wrote:
I was in Sequoia national park (CA) last month. Not long after having visited General Sherman (surrounded by la francophonie), I stumbled upon a small group of people that had formed around a black bear who was wandering about. The imbeciles must have been about 30 feet away from it, no joke.

Of course they were dead silent, none of them dared to move a muscle. Literally everything I have ever read about bear encounters in the wild urges you to make as much noise as you can, appear larger, to scare it away and reinforce its natural fear of humans. I tried that and everyone looked at me like I had three trillion heads.

It eventually left. But whatever...it's their funeral. Can't blame international city slickers for being clueless around wildlife they've most likely never seen.

In all fairness, even if someone had lectured me about making noise when you see a black bear, I might become too awestruck by actually seeing a real bear close up to say anything or move either. Not sure how I would react.

But folks who actually deliberately hand food to bears at national parks are indeed operating in the depths of folly.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 7:57 am

EzraS wrote:
Unless you've been a lifelong vegan and never wear leather, I see virtue signalling and crocodile tears. Don't ever go into a store like Cabela's. It's packed with stuffed game animals. Might give you PSTD.

While I'd generally agree, trophy-hunting conservationally vulnerable species tends to be viewed poorly even by other hunters, with the one saving grace being the absurd sums of money they usually have to part with for the privilege. Sums that then goes to fund conservation efforts.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 8:45 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

While I'd generally agree, trophy-hunting conservationally vulnerable species tends to be viewed poorly even by other hunters, with the one saving grace being the absurd sums of money they usually have to part with for the privilege. Sums that then goes to fund conservation efforts.

I think if Trump had not become president most people who make a big deal out of those pics wouldn't care very much if at all. Would not care about those any more than all the zillions of similar photos of other hunters posing with whatever they shot.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 10:18 am

Oh absolutely. This is just another "Look how bad the Trumps are".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 8:01 pm

EzraS wrote:

I take your point. But my post was aimed at vegetable man's claim for an association with having a low IQ and having a taste for torturing animals. This of course is a fallacy of assuming correlation = causation.

Of course with the Trump's the genetic inheritance from their KKK grandfather (on a side note I also discovered this week that Harry Truman was a former member of the KKK) they also inherited a aggressive/pathological streak which is probably more important than having a low IQ.

I am sure folks on WP who score low on FSIQ scores wouldn't appreciate vegetable man's slur

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 8:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I take your point. But my post was aimed at vegetable man's claim for an association with having a low IQ and having a taste for torturing animals. This of course is a fallacy of assuming correlation = causation.

Of course with the Trump's the genetic inheritance from their KKK grandfather (on a side note I also discovered this week that Harry Truman was a former member of the KKK) they also inherited a aggressive/pathological streak which is probably more important than having a low IQ.

I am sure folks on WP who score low on FSIQ scores wouldn't appreciate vegetable man's slur

I doubt many think Theodore Roosevelt was a man with a low IQ. Even though there are countless photos of him posing with dead elephants, rinos, leopards etc that he shot for sport. As for having a tatse for torturing animals, you literally have a that if you have ever enjoyed eating store bought meat. Even fishing can be called torturing animals. You just want to villify the Trumps.

The low IQ VM was talking about was people putting themselves in danger by gathering around a wild animal that could maul them, without seeming to have any sense whatsoever of the danger they were putting themselves in.

Big difference between that and being on a safari with villagers who have been dealing with those animals for generations.

Last edited by EzraS on 19 Oct 2019, 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.