Page 38 of 40 [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:45 am

Fnord wrote:
I went to a public school. One huge "Special Ed" student jumped me in the hallway and started punching me. I fought back. Guess who was declared the "Bad Guy"?

50 years later and it is still that way.

The difference is today the autistic kid who fights back gets arrested and perp walked through the school instead of sent to the principles office and suspended.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:48 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I went to a public school. One huge "Special Ed" student jumped me in the hallway and started punching me. I fought back. Guess who was declared the "Bad Guy"? ...
50 years later and it is still that way.  The difference is today the autistic kid who fights back gets arrested and perp walked through the school instead of sent to the principles office and suspended.
Back then, no one knew that I was autistic, just a "weirdo" and a "spaz".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:54 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I went to a public school. One huge "Special Ed" student jumped me in the hallway and started punching me. I fought back. Guess who was declared the "Bad Guy"? ...
50 years later and it is still that way.  The difference is today the autistic kid who fights back gets arrested and perp walked through the school instead of sent to the principles office and suspended.
Back then, no one knew that I was autistic, just a "weirdo" and a "spaz".

Autistic or not then and now often the bully gets away with it and the victim who fights back gets blamed, especially if the victim has a negative label. It does not matter if the label is official or colloquial.

I got “weirdo” ,”spazz”, “k*e” and “Jew basterd”, but it was mostly “homo’” and “fa***t”. On a good days it was “painfully shy“.
I am straight as can be.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 11:08 am

I had similar experiences----but it was more "ret*d" and "Hebe." Of course, there was "spaz," too. And others.

I didn't even learn what a "k*e" was until I got older.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 11:14 am

EzraS wrote:
Maybe I don't go to the areas where all the intolerance and toxic bullying and trolling takes place, but I doubt it.

I think the problem is people being too hypersensitive. Upset, offended, outraged, shattered at the drop of a hat.

That's how society has been molded it seems. For people to as fragile as eggshells and crumble appart at the lest little thing.

Whatever happened to tenacity, standing your ground, staying the course, weathering the storm?

So there was a brouhaha. Big deal. I ended up getting involved with behind scenes drama more than any of you. I had PMs and emails going left and right. Do you see me caving after all that? Making some sobby goodbye thread or lamenting in general? It's over with time to move on.

Technically I suppose with my level of autism, physical disability and youth I should be one of the more fragile people on WP. But apparently not. Not by a long shot it seems.

Rant over.

:thumleft:

good on you, friend

it seems like people now want to get the last word in mo matter what. more than anything.

i was diagnosed in 2001 - people knew what autism was but that was before the massive spike in diagnoses we're seeing now, or just on the eve of it.

i was called weird, sperg, spaz, freak, etc more times than one could count. i don't know what it was, or what kind of vibe i must have given off, but i must have been so repulsive that people generally didn't bother to even bully me, save for the very rare as*hole who had nothing better to do.

generally i was left alone. and that's still true today - still feeling the repercussions of that in my inability to approach others and begin conversation. :|
maybe another consequence of that is how difficult i find it to resolve arguments and fights between me and others?

i try to avoid conflict everywhere and i guess that has manifested itself here too!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 12:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
Maybe I don't go to the areas where all the intolerance and toxic bullying and trolling takes place, but I doubt it.

I think the problem is people being too hypersensitive. Upset, offended, outraged, shattered at the drop of a hat.

That's how society has been molded it seems. For people to as fragile as eggshells and crumble appart at the lest little thing.

Whatever happened to tenacity, standing your ground, staying the course, weathering the storm?

So there was a brouhaha. Big deal. I ended up getting involved with behind scenes drama more than any of you. I had PMs and emails going left and right. Do you see me caving after all that? Making some sobby goodbye thread or lamenting in general? It's over with time to move on.

Technically I suppose with my level of autism, physical disability and youth I should be one of the more fragile people on WP. But apparently not. Not by a long shot it seems.

Rant over.

^ This.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 12:09 pm

I don't remember much of any of that since everyone was a "spaz" "tard" etc. Usually it was someone's name said a certain way like "Ezraaaaaa".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 1:37 pm

Because Kip LOOKS like he can kick ass...and he can back it up, too :)

He has that sort of Karate Kid thing about him.

I looked like a doormat...and sort of acted like one, too.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 2:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Because Kip LOOKS like he can kick ass...and he can back it up, too :)

He has that sort of Karate Kid thing about him.

you sure??

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 2:38 pm

I wouldn’t say it if I wasn’t sure of my impression.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 3:38 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
I think it was a genuine misunderstanding on your part, Marknis. Thank you for your civil response and thank you Blazingstar for clarifying your position.

Most of us get emotional at times, and earlier on I thought the thread needed locking, but it has improved. With the right kind of dialogue WP can be a better place.

I don't think you need fit a mold in order to be valued as an individual. Most of us here don't fit a mold.

Yet people still get upset at me here for not fitting that mold. I still can’t forgive people who write me off for that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 5:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had similar experiences----but it was more "ret*d" and "Hebe." Of course, there was "spaz," too. And others.

I got told I was the missing link(prep school), had monkey chants directed at me (public school) . Was generally seen as the public school's weirdo.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2019, 3:12 pm

Even when detached or unattached, it feels like you are the missing link. Actually, lately, I'm starting to feel as though someone else is.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 5:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I learned, a long time ago, that I must stand up to bullies, and not give in.

I refuse to be emotionally blackmailed.
A pet peeve of mine.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 6:47 pm

firemonkey wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I got told I was the missing link(prep school), had monkey chants directed at me (public school) . Was generally seen as the public school's weirdo.

I was told many things by cruel kids. One more effectionate one was that I was a cross between Mr Bean and Frank Spencer, and one of the tamer nastier ones was that when I was born they got it wrong and I was the afterbirth. Some of the rest are not printable.

The thing kids say things thinking that they are funny because kiddies have not always learnt to be accountable for their actions and words etc.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 12:38 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I was told many things by cruel kids. One more effectionate one was that I was a cross between Mr Bean and Frank Spencer, and one of the tamer nastier ones was that when I was born they got it wrong and I was the afterbirth. Some of the rest are not printable.

The thing kids say things thinking that they are funny because kiddies have not always learnt to be accountable for their actions and words etc.

I abdicated from the human race,
And joined: "The Vulcan Confederation".
I suggest all and sundry do the same.