Us trailer park people gotta stick together. :wink:

indubitably! :bounce: :bounce:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 10:11 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Hillbilly is certainly better than Trailer Trash. The connotation is not completely negative.

They don’t call many people from the Deep South hillbillies. It’s more a term for people from the hills and mountains of the Mid South. Especially people from the Ozarks and Appalachians.

I've been called trailer trash too, because I grew up in trailer parks all my life. :jester:

I pretty positive most people use terms like "hillbilly" and "redneck" as interchangable derogatory terms. Even if there is technically a difference.

Also I think Hawaii became an official US state in 1959. Right? Before then it was US territory like Puerto Rico.

For what it's worth, I'd self-identify as a redneck before I'd use it as a slur. When I've read about it, the term seems to have an origin so far back that it's meant a few different things historically and probably still has different connotations to different people. I don't use it with an inherent connection to whiteness, because metis people definitely can be rednecks too. I do feel it implies 'Anglo-ness' to a degree though, non-English speaking Americans and Canadians don't count. Basically I tend to use it to refer to Anglophone Americans and Canadians who have lived in rural areas for multiple generations and who embrace the sorts of recreational activities available in those areas, especially if they'd be comfortable self-identifying with the term.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 12:46 pm

There are people in the south who wear the words "redneck" and "hillbilly" with pride, I'm just not one of them. :P

I guess because I do feel like it implies we are all racist and ignorant. :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 2:04 pm

Only recently has "hillbilly" come to imply "racism." I mean very recently. Hillbillies were made fun of, it must be said; but it wasn't assumed that they were racists. It's more like they were "rubes" or "hicks."

There was an element of admiration when it came to "hillbilllies" because they had resisted Government control for so long back in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Rather like the Maroons of Jamaica (the country).

There are not any black rednecks, it must be said----but I don't find that people considered rednecks automatically "racist" back, say, in the 1980s. The name "redneck" came about because light-skinned people's skin tends to turn red with hard work and heat. Especially around the neck area.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 2:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Only recently has "hillbilly" come to imply "racism." I mean very recently. Hillbillies were made fun of, it must be said; but it wasn't assumed that they were racists. It's more like they were "rubes" or "hicks."

There was an element of admiration when it came to "hillbilllies" because they had resisted Government control for so long back in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Rather like the Maroons of Jamaica (the country).

There are not any black rednecks, it must be said----but I don't find that people considered rednecks automatically "racist" back, say, in the 1980s. The name "redneck" came about because light-skinned people's skin tends to turn red with hard work and heat. Especially around the neck area.

Yeah, the term redneck originated from poor white farmers in the rural south who kept a sunburn or tan on the back if their necks from working out in the sun all day.

I guess I wouldn't be bothered as much by the term if it weren't for the fact that some rednecks are indeed racist.

It's like what I said earlier about why the Confederate flag bothers me. It reminds me of everything that the rest of the country hates about the south. :|

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 8:26 pm

This guy, obviously, doesn't want Trump to be impeached.

He's using rhetoric.

He's just talking crap.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 8:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This guy, obviously, doesn't want Trump to be impeached.

He's using rhetoric.

He's just talking crap.

Well, if worse comes to worst I'm gonna flee the country. One way or another. :bounce:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 8:30 pm

Are there any militias being set up in your area, and are they trying to recruit you?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 8:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Are there any militias being set up in your area, and are they trying to recruit you?

I'll be perfectly honest, I thought I saw something like that the other day in front of Walmart. It may have been just my paranoid imagination, but I saw some kind of booth set up outside and there was a man walking by it in green military fatigues with a handgun in a holster on his leg.

I didn't get close enough to see what it was really about. Maybe an NRA type thing? I'm not sure but it was kinda weird. :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

If there was the possibility of a civil war which would have any impact outside of a local area, you would see recruitment posters openly placed to recruit soldiers.

Or a "call to arms" from somebody other than some sort of racist, survivalist, "Christian Identity," KKK-type of organization.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 8:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If there was the possibility of a civil war which would have any impact outside of a local area, you would see recruitment posters openly placed to recruit soldiers.

Or a "call to arms" from somebody other than some sort of racist, survivalist, "Christian Identity," KKK-type of organization.

Hmm, ok. I'm not sure what that guy with the gun was doing near that booth in front of Walmart though. Maybe it was an NRA type thing? I heard Walmart was talking about not selling ammo for guns in their stores because of the shootings in El Paso (they sell hunting rifles and handguns at our local Walmart).