Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 8:33 am

One of the problems I have been facing all my life is body odors. After reading several threads on this site, I have come to the conclusion that this problem may be typical of many Aspies.

Apparently I have a very offensive body odor. I don't smell it. But I am told by many NTs that it exists. Normal deodorants do not work. I can cake it on my armpits and I still hear complaints.

A little over a year ago I stumbled onto a solution that works. Most deodorants work on the principle of masking body odor scents with perfume like scents. Many of these scents are artificial and for me (an Aspie) are offensive.

Body odor is produced by bacteria that live in the hair in your armpits. The approach that I use is to kill the odor producing bacteria instead of trying to mask the smell. So I make my own deodorant. It is fairly effective. I will apply it and it controls the odor for around a week with one application. I generally apply it after a bath or shower.

It is a fairly simple process to make this type of deodorant. First I find a small glass jar with a screw on lid. Then I add 2 ingredients in almost equal amounts. The first is normal pure baking soda. I use Arm & Hammer which is found in a grocery store. The second ingredient is 100% Virgin Coconut Oil. This ingredient can be found in the cosmetic aisle of large grocery stores or pharmacies. I mix these two in the jar with my finger and make a paste. Then I add a few drops of essential oil to add a little scent. I use Lavender essential oil.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 8:50 am

If you patent it might earn $$$

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 8:57 am

I tried a similar recipe that I'd found on the Internet a few years ago.

It gave me a rash.

No thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 9:05 am

Yes, I was/am stinky when younger and when stressed. I found Crystal worked (also one weekly application) but I am not sure if it's better or worse than traditional deodorants. I'll keep the recipe you found in mind. TY.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 9:50 am

Fnord wrote:
I tried a similar recipe that I'd found on the Internet a few years ago. It gave me a rash. No thank you.

I have been using it for over a year now and have not experienced any adverse effects, such as rashes.

Cheeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2019, 10:26 am

I assumed aspies stank because we don't shower as much as everyone else. I personally don't ever stink because I'm one of those mutants who just never sweats but I definitely don't shower as much as I should. A lot of people probably think this is pretty gross but I haven't showered for about 2 weeks now. I've been like this my whole life though, even back at school when all the kids would talk about how "you're supposed to shower every day!" and I was sat there having not showered for about a month haha. I'm really lucky that I don't stink.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 11:50 am

Some people are more prone to producing more body odour than others. It is not related to having AS.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm

I've been using that exact same concoction for quite some time! The challenge is getting the right ratio. When I've added too much baking soda, like Fnord, I found the baking soda was too abrasive and irritated my armpits. Getting the ratio correct and it works well. Actually it's a dual purpose concoction for me: After I rub it under my pits, I lightly rinse my fingers under the faucet which seems to instantly dissolve the baking soda, then I just rub the remaining coconut oil film in my hair to keep it looking good.

I've also been making my own toothpaste for far longer and also using baking soda. I've used my own toothpaste for about twenty years. Ingredients: Jar, baking soda, approximately 20 drops of organic peppermint oil, Doc Bronners liquid peppermint soap and water added to make the right consistency. My wife uses it too. it gives you the freshest cleanest breath and my mouth feels so clean. I hate conventional toothpastes like Crest, Colgate, etc. The flavor is gross and I don't like the way it makes my mouth feel afterward. It coats my tongue, etc.

Jimmy, I forgot the medical term, but some people have body odor that is nearly impossible to get rid of. It's a medical condition. There was a girl in my high school that suffered from the problem and it was so bad that she would stink up the entire classroom and other kids would berate her irritatingly to her face because it was so offensive.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 5:57 pm

Your body is covered with sweat glands because sweating is an essential function that helps us cool down. There are two main kinds of sweat glands: eccrine and apocrine. Apocrine glands occur in areas that contain a lot of hair follicles, like the groin and armpit. Instead of opening up to the surface of the skin, apocrine glands empty into the hair follicle and then open up to the surface. Apocrine glands work primarily under stress, secreting an odorless fluid. This fluid begins to develop an odor when it comes into contact with bacteria on your skin. These glands don’t start working until puberty, which is why that’s usually the time we start to notice body odor.

Magna perhaps you are thinking of the term called hyperhidrosis. People with hyperhidrosis sweat excessively, especially from their hands, feet, and armpits

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 7:05 pm

^ I found what I was referring to, Jimmy:

Trimethylaminuria is a disorder in which the body is unable to break down trimethylamine, a chemical compound that has a pungent odor. Trimethylamine has been described as smelling like rotting fish, rotting eggs, garbage, or urine.

A girl in my school suffered from the above. The TV show Freaks and Geeks also had a character, Gordon Crisp, who was to have had the condition.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 7:13 pm

Some people claim that merino wool cloths don't get smelly but I haven't found that to be the case, so last week I rubbed a few drops of tea tree oil in my armpits before going on camping trip. I think that it may have helped with the B.O. slightly. I don't mind most people's body odour, it's usually fine so long as their diet is OK.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 7:20 pm

I have some merino wool T shirts and although they're not impervious to B.O., they're definitely more resistant to it than cotton in my experience. The only time I get a little "ripe" is in the summer when it's hot and I'm working hard and sweating a lot and I didn't bother to put my homemade deodorant on in the morning.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 9:39 pm

Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice works too.
The acidity neutralises bacteria.
The vinegar smell doesn't linger long, you can add some essential oil if you want.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 4:35 am

Raleigh wrote:
Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice works too.
The acidity neutralises bacteria.
The vinegar smell doesn't linger long, you can add some essential oil if you want.

That makes sense, cider vinegar is an anti-fungal, I may give that a go. Lemon juice sounds a bit sticky.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 5:57 am

I do not have a body odor problem. But I am adverse to taking showers. So I use an antibacterial body spay mixed with a little cologne on my armpits, torso and privates in between showers. It works alright for me.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 8:20 am

domineekee wrote:
Some people claim that merino wool cloths don't get smelly but I haven't found that to be the case, so last week I rubbed a few drops of tea tree oil in my armpits before going on camping trip. I think that it may have helped with the B.O. slightly. I don't mind most people's body odour, it's usually fine so long as their diet is OK.

They make material out of bamboo. This is also said to have properties that destroy odor. I haven't tried it yet. I did buy a couple stockings made out of bamboo. I will try it an let you know the results. Bamboo material also is used to produce shirts, pants, underwear. So if it destroys or controls foot odor, it might be a very useful product.

Tea tree essential oil has strong antibiotic properties. So I could see that being useful. Maybe I should substitute tea tree oil for lavender in the above formula.