I feel like my apartment complex is harassing us...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 3:15 pm

We saw a couple bedbugs in our apartment, eww. So our apartment complex had a guy spray for them. Then they demanded to come in a few days later to inspect and possibly spray again, they inspected it and said we were fine. Now a week later they want to enter our apartment again, this time were going to be gone because my husband has an all-day appointment... And the thing is we have a cat and we can't expect our neighbor to babysit her again. And when our neighbor saw a bedbug, they only entered her apartment once! They are giving us 48 hour notices, but this is going too far. We have not seen any more bedbugs but they are insisting on entering our apartment again... Can they legally do this?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Randomosity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2019, 10:41 pm

Angnix wrote:
We saw a couple bedbugs in our apartment, eww. So our apartment complex had a guy spray for them. Then they demanded to come in a few days later to inspect and possibly spray again, they inspected it and said we were fine. Now a week later they want to enter our apartment again, this time were going to be gone because my husband has an all-day appointment... And the thing is we have a cat and we can't expect our neighbor to babysit her again. And when our neighbor saw a bedbug, they only entered her apartment once! They are giving us 48 hour notices, but this is going too far. We have not seen any more bedbugs but they are insisting on entering our apartment again... Can they legally do this?

Check your lease to see if there is a clause that lets them enter in a situation like this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 3:36 pm

I wish they couldn’t....but they could. Bedbugs are considered something that must be gotten rid of. And the only way that could happen is if exterminators have access to your apartment.

I hope they are not truly harassing you

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 3:43 pm

If it is a choice between bed bugs and a temporary visit from people who exterminate them, then I would choose a visit every time... I have only once ir twice ever been bitten by bedbugs when certain visitors came who had issues with them... And they really hurt if they bite. So it is worth the visits as they save you from a much worse problem. It is far, far better to be sure by a repeat visit, then risk the odd one surviving.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 4:06 pm

Angnix wrote:

I think most lease agreements say they can enter any time--since it is their apartment--but do their best to provide notice. Bed bugs can be pretty difficult to get rid of, so they might just want to be safe.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 6:44 pm

Well, we got back when they were at our apartment... And they wanted to spray again and our neighbor said yes so us and kitty visited our neighbor today... Yeah it was okay, I think it is better to get rid of the problem.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 7:06 pm

I'm glad this ended well.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm

Maybe others are having them too and they must follow up to make sure they don't get a building infestation.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:03 pm

They do seem to be difficult to kill.
WebMD has some interesting info....
Encase mattress and box springs with a tightly woven, zippered cover to keep bedbugs from entering or escaping. Bedbugs may live up to a year without feeding, so keep the cover on your mattress for at least a year to make sure all bugs in the mattress are dead.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and ... nfestation
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/new ... secticides