Study: Conservative YouTube Content Leads To ‘De-Radicalizat

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 12:36 pm

Study: Conservative YouTube Content Leads To ‘De-Radicalization,’ Not Radicalization

This is quite interesting. The DailyWire article:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/study-da ... calization

Penn State abstract:

https://osf.io/73jys/

Carl Benjamin exegesis:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 2:46 pm

Interesting, but not entirely surprising. Perhaps most people aren't actually prone to radicalism.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Interesting, but not entirely surprising. Perhaps most people aren't actually prone to radicalism.

I'm maybe 3/4 of the way through the paper and it seems like the gist of what they're saying is that for a while there wasn't much in the way of mainstream conservative content, that it tended liberal to centrist and that there was a gap between centrist and alt-right / alt-light content which caused some conservatives to be watching alt-lite or alt-right content that they quickly abandoned when they found more mainstream conservative content available.

I also find that 'zombie bite' theory a bit strange, ie. it reminds me a lot of a media-equivalent argument to the 'chemical hook' theory that had us terrified that our Vietnam vets were going to bring back a plague of permanent heroin addicts when in reality no such thing happened.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 3:39 pm

What about radical centrism?

You don't need to be unreasonably right or left, you can also be unreasonably in the middle, meaning: unshakeable in your opinion that the middle way between left and right is correct, no matter what. Or, unwillingness to take a position and insist on a status quo.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 9:30 pm

shlaifu wrote:

You don't need to be unreasonably right or left, you can also be unreasonably in the middle, meaning: unshakeable in your opinion that the middle way between left and right is correct, no matter what. Or, unwillingness to take a position and insist on a status quo.

We'll truly be in a bad way the day they start putting on blue and yellow masks, patrolling city blocks, and looking for both AntiFa and Nazis to beat up. Even worse since I'm in Ohio and those are Michigan Wolverines colors, they'll have the red and gray looking for them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 2:13 am

shlaifu wrote:

Radical centrism/extreme centre, from when I've encountered the terms has more to do with blending extreme left and right positions, more so than being an 'extreme moderate'.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 1:00 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

We'll truly be in a bad way the day they start putting on blue and yellow masks, patrolling city blocks, and looking for both AntiFa and Nazis to beat up. Even worse since I'm in Ohio and those are Michigan Wolverines colors, they'll have the red and gray looking for them.

I was going to start a radical central party called the purple worms.

rdococ
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2019, 12:41 pm

You do know that the Daily Wire is a right-wing propaganda website, right? Not only that, but Carl Benjamin is also very right-wing.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 1:42 pm

rdococ wrote:
You do know that the Daily Wire is a right-wing propaganda website, right? Not only that, but Carl Benjamin is also very right-wing.

I know that The Daily Wire is center-right/neoconservative, it's Ben Shapiro's media company or at least he's the face for it, and Carl Benjamin I wouldn't say is right-wing but he's a loud and brash centrist who says a lot of disparaging things about the left and people call him something between a 'skeptic' and an anti-feminist.

Not 100% sure what that has to do with the quality if the University of Pennsylvania research? At worst they may have over-extrapolated their data a bit, unfortunately with there being a strange sort of culture war about the AIN, especially from a previous publication that seemed to make no attempt at objectivity, the felt some responsibility to put their foot down and say that it was irresponsible to say that the AIN is primarily a pipeline to the far-right or anything like that in it's dominant effect.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 7:52 pm

Ah, dude, the Daily Wire is super right wing, with Ben Shapiro in particular being a right wing clown who talks fast to try and trick you into thinking that what he says is true and smart. And I thought the name Carl Benjamin sounded familiar, that is freaking Sargon of Akkard, a guy that plays like he is a centrist and a skeptic, but has been linked as a possible entry point into the alt-right. His role is to make it look like the center is further right than it actually is, while he literally tried to go into politics in a right wing party with someone called "Count Dankula" and a far right conspiracy theorist who works with Alex Jones. Sargon even tried to protect the Neo Nazis that killed the woman in Charlottesville riots by saying she was not killed by a car but a heart attack.

Want some insight in the radicalization of conservative YouTube, check out this video by Faraday Speaks, who went through the Alt-Right pipeline.

And here was a video actually saw recently, if you want something more polished, called How to Radicalize a Normie. As such through online media.