Australian chaos magician nails US politics

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 10:31 pm

Thought this was worth sharing, in part you might see why I like listening to him and on the other - he's just nailing topic after topic on this solo show.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 10:45 pm

Commenting on some of his clips of Donna Haraway around 20 minutes in - I think what she's talking about in the intelligencia and academia, in an odd way, sort of circles back to something Molyneux said about institutions - that the longer they last the more narcissists and sociopaths pack their walls until they crumble, that companies in the business world (at least those which aren't 'too big to fail') go under when they reach their narcissist quota but other institutions that we've invested more in - and particularly governmental and quasi-governmental - have a certain 'zombie' shelf-life where they can go over quota and still remain for quite some time and even keep the public's trust longer than they should without any good alternatives coming up. Where Stefan's batisht crazy of course is that he's an anarcho-capitalist (anarcho-anything seems to completely ignore how power works) but I think the critique at least hits some of the weak points accurately.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 8:14 pm

Lol, 64 views and my response. I think this one's clearly getting filed in the 'genius and madness go hand in hand' bin (and I should have the right to call that out when I see it :P ).

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Lol, 64 views and my response. I think this one's clearly getting filed in the 'genius and madness go hand in hand' bin (and I should have the right to call that out when I see it :P ).

I’m too lazy to watch it, but was looking forward to discussion of it in order to learn more. :oops:

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 2:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

well... it is almost an hour-long podcast. but the combination of Giordano Bruno and Donna Haraway peeked my interest... and yes, he's good. But there's little to discuss. ... it feels quite common sense.

And she's good (as always. I started to read some of Haraway's writings a while ago, and it shifts from somewhat obvious (staying with the trouble) to a bit too complicated, language-wise (the cyborg manifesto)- at least for someone who's native language english is not. But she's always enlightening.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 2:58 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Heh. Try starting a conversation about international trade theory.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 6:36 pm

shlaifu wrote:
And she's good (as always. I started to read some of Haraway's writings a while ago, and it shifts from somewhat obvious (staying with the trouble) to a bit too complicated, language-wise (the cyborg manifesto)- at least for someone who's native language english is not. But she's always enlightening.

TBH I might have passed on her if I hadn't caught his exegesis on her work, hearing her go over it verbally sounds like what I might imagine Suzanne Blackmore sounding like before she has her coffee in the morning.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 6:37 pm

Mikah wrote:
Heh. Try starting a conversation about international trade theory.

Yep, that can definitely be up in the nosebleed section too.